Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading the 996TT for a 997 CarreraS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is you not the car.

You (not everyone) got the 996TT because you are a racer and once a racer - always a racer. You bought it to go fast. 997S? Forget it, if you truly want to kick the habit, get VW Polo diesel with 60bhp!

It’s all about self-control, which of course goes out of window as soon as there is someone to pass.

997S will be disappointment, power-wise, and not before long you will miss the rush of the turbo, probably straight away. And 997S will not keep you out of trouble, still fast enough to get you tickets aplenty.

People always ask me how fast do I drive and how do I keep out of trouble with the law? I say this car is about self-control, which is so tiresome and depressing.

Then I go for a drive and drive like I stole her. Its then about knowing where, when and most of all about your luck.

I make it a rule not to speed in urban areas, or go supersonic 300km/h plus on motorways unless in Germany. I only speed on mountain roads (I know extremely well).

And Track of course, although I prefer my bike there.

Can I grow up and get out of it? Of course not! Will I ever? Of course not! Do I want to? Of course not!

I love my turbo, and I bought it for one purpose alone… to move on the roads at supersonic speeds. I hope I will never be forced to change. I am a racer and I am proud of it.

My advice, keep the turbo and exercise self-control, for most of the time. It sucks, I know, but there you have it.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Simon I always appreciate your comments.

I did try self control the last couple days. It sucks. But I did more full throttle pull 1st and 2nd gear and it helps. Not as much tempted by high-speed stuff.

I still haven't been able to test a C2S.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
I always appreciate your comments.

I did try self control the last couple days. It sucks. But I did more full throttle pull 1st and 2nd gear and it helps. Not as much tempted by high-speed stuff.
Good on 'ya; you'll grow into it if you give it time.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the high speed stuff for deserted roads you know well, and the track. I'll do a few WOT pulls in 2nd and 3rd a week if conditions are right. Mostly I like the fact that I can pass at will in almost any situation without having to floor it. I just think"pass" and it does.

It's definitely not a good car for the less mature. I'm not afraid of speed and face flattening acceleration, but I do have a healthy respect for the consequences.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSST
Save the high speed stuff for deserted roads you know well, and the track. I'll do a few WOT pulls in 2nd and 3rd a week if conditions are right. Mostly I like the fact that I can pass at will in almost any situation without having to floor it. I just think"pass" and it does.

It's definitely not a good car for the less mature. I'm not afraid of speed and face flattening acceleration, but I do have a healthy respect for the consequences.
And the worse thing is that you get used to speed and acceleration and it is never enough. I often wonder how do f1 drivers feel when they get back into let’s say 996/997 turbo S? Probably they say; damn this car is slow!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM
SelectiveRecall
Advanced

But it's probably a lot more comfortable and easier on the neck.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

A lot easier on the whole body I recon. :-).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by SimonK
And the worse thing is that you get used to speed and acceleration and it is never enough. I often wonder how do f1 drivers feel when they get back into let’s say 996/997 turbo S? Probably they say; damn this car is slow!
It's not too bad for me. I'm old and can only take so much excitement.

Seriously, I know a number of former fighter jockeys, and they mostly drive trucks and stuff. They say anything else is boring after you've flown a fighter in combat, so why spend the money.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Seriously, I know a number of former fighter jockeys, and they mostly drive trucks and stuff. They say anything else is boring after you've flown a fighter in combat, so why spend the money.
I'm a previous fighter pilot and I enjoy owning and driving my Turbo. Is my Turbo boring compared to what I did in the Air Force? Absolutely; nothing replaces the experience of doing 900 mph at very low altitude (<300 feet). But is my Turbo still entertaining? Absolutely.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM
SSST
Drifting

Thank you for your service Dock. I'm a NASA brat from the 60s and got a couple of rides in the back of an F4 courtesy of our next door neighbor who was a squadron Commander out of Ellington AFB. I know that stuff hasn't been allowed for a while, but it was the 60s. Different back then.

I still remember what that felt like. Awesome stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm a previous fighter pilot and I enjoy owning and driving my Turbo. Is my Turbo boring compared to what I did in the Air Force? Absolutely; nothing replaces the experience of doing 900 mph at very low altitude (<300 feet). But is my Turbo still entertaining? Absolutely.
1.21 Mach at 300 feet? Is that all? "You *****"!

And I believe you that turbo still gives you pleasure albeit; what can really compare to that?

But it's similar to this; I sometimes find my turbo slow on the motorway "want another 200bhp". Then you take it to the "A" road and everything becomes "blured" again.

The problem with human beings is that we get used to everything after a while, so it's never enough.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

What did you fly Dock?

And if you normalize a jet and Turbo for altitude, I bet the Turbo will whollop the jet!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
What did you fly Dock?
I flew the F-15.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonK
But it's similar to this; I sometimes find my turbo slow on the motorway "want another 200bhp". Then you take it to the "A" road and everything becomes "blured" again.
That is an excellent point. When I did 2.5 mach at +45,000 feet, there was nothing visually exiting about it. On the other hand, going very fast at very low altitude, especially in mountainous areas where there is dirt above you (flying in fairly narrow valleys between ranges), it's visually an extremely intense experience. It's also very intense because of how close you are to vaporization should you have even a very momentary lapse in focus on flying the jet.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm a NASA brat from the 60s and got a couple of rides in the back of an F4...
You are very fortunate to have ridden in the F-4.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the 996TT for a 997 CarreraS