Sponsored by:

Introduction and Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
rhyno
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Thank you

Hello everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster.

After hours of reading rennlist I have finally taken the plunge. Last Thursday my 13 year old son and I flew from Chicago to Dallas Tx and then drove from Dallas Tx to Austin Tx with the intention on buying a 2001 36k mile red/tan turbo. I had my son searching and he found it at the Porsche dealer in Austin. There was NO WAY I was gonna buy the car sight unseen so we were gonna do a roadtrip.

On Friday we checked out the car and it was exactly as described if not better. I signed the papers got the temp plates and my son and I proceeded to drive back to Chicago doing some sightseeing along the way. Friday was generally un-eventful. We left Austin and got to Tulsa Ok that evening. Saturday morning we filled up (unfortunately all they had was 91 octane premium) and after 45 minutes on the road the dreaded CEL came on as I was pulling up to the tollbooth. I remember from reading rennlist that the CEL seems to pop up frequently with these cars and that as long as it is not flashing you can continue to drive (First THANK YOU RENNLIST). I called the dealer to confirm he said the same. We filled up multiple times after that and the light continued to stay on but the car drove fine.

Once home on Sunday I pulled the codes and found it to be a p1128 and p1130. After 2 minutes of reading rennlist I found that it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Fuel trim isn't right due to o2 sensors, fuel pressure, vapor leak, oil cap, AOS, MAF (Second THANK YOU RENNLIST). Next thread indicates if you get one or the other it's likely o2 sensors if you have both it's not gonna be o2 (Third THANK YOU RENNLIST). Sweet. We are moving along. I check the oil cap. No leaks. Next up is to clean the MAF. This is a 5 minute job and I reset the CEL by removing the negative bat cable. I have since driven the car 150 miles with no CEL.

Fourth and definitely not the last
THANK YOU RENNLIST!!!!

Now I can enjoy my car for a while before winter without freaking out over that light.

Hopefully I can help contribute to these boards and help someone else get more enjoyment and less frustration out of these wonderful machines.

I'm still not sure if I will use these wheels as it came with the originals which I might swap back to.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Congrats on the Turbo!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car, best of luck with her. Sounds like a great father/son road trip.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks to be in great shape,nice to see another clean 2001= just got mine a couple of months ago. This board is a great resource /enjoy.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Welcome!
Congrats on the new car!
I hate to be the one saying this,but you haven't mentioned anything about professionally inspecting the car before buying,I mean a PPI(Pre Purchase Inspection).
The reason I'm mentioning this is because the information you have that the CEL comes On pretty often in these cars is wrong IMO.
Has the car been modified? What else is not stock besides those wheels? Is that a fixed wing(in the Up position) or you left it that way? If the MAF was dirty,check your air filter. If the car is modified,it will most likely have a K&N oily filter or similar that messes up your MAF. Get rid of that crap and go back to the stock paper filter.
A PPI would've told you a lot of things,like if the car was driven hard or not etc.
I don't mean to scare you or anything,you probably got a good car,I was just trying to give you a heads up so you can enjoy your Porsche ownership.
Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Those long road trips are great for getting comfortable with a new car, not to mention spending time with your son.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story! Congratulations on the purchase. Sounds like a fun road trip. Are you going to post any more pictures? The car looks great.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:39 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all likelihood, you learned more about the car by driving it from Austin to Chicago than any PPI would trll you. Enjoy the car - I'm on my second 2001. Great cars. Great story. I did cross country road trips witth each of my daughters when they were about this age, and we still talk about them and they are in their late 20s-30s.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats - love the car in red - look sharp. Must have been an exciting trip with your son, good stuff.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
rhyno
5th Gear

Originally Posted by neanicu
I hate to be the one saying this,but you haven't mentioned anything about professionally inspecting the car before buying,I mean a PPI(Pre Purchase Inspection).

You are correct. I did not have a PPI done by a third party. I was planning on doing a PPI. After looking at the car and seeing what Porsche Austin had done in prepping it for sale I decided against a PPI. They had the over rev report. They had replaced a number of service items and had done the 30k maintenance. Add to it that I was getting a 3/36 warranty I felt comfortable that the car was exactly what I was looking and would not let me down.

I wanted a pristine original car which was owned by a neurotic lunatic that loved the car the way I would. Aside from the wheels the only other non-original item was the aftermarket stereo. The original stereo was packed up and included with car. The whole front half of the car (Entire hood, full fenders, mirrors and bumper) had been covered with a clear bra so there were no rock chips. The owner had even saved the original throw away inventory key chain. The PO of this car truly cared for the vehicle.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and you guys are right. The best part of the trip was the time with my son. Before long he is gonna be off doing his own thing. Hopefully he will remember the fun we had for the rest of his life. I know that I will.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 186 Posts

Beautiful car and I like the father/son part of picking and driving the car back.

Quick question though, did you choose to put the wing in an up position or is it permanently fixed in that position?

Enjoy the car especially at the price that these cars can be had now.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
rhyno
5th Gear

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Quick question though, did you choose to put the wing in an up position or is it permanently fixed in that position?
It was put up just for the picture. My dad had a 99 cab and couldn't envision what the difference in the pop up wing was so I wanted to the pic to show him.

I believe that these cars are totally undervalued considering the overall reliability and performance. Maybe it's because some folks hate the headlights. Personally I like both types headlights. I like many others think that we might be close to the bottom of the depreciation curve on the turbos. For me though I have wanted an 2001 turbo since I first saw one at a classic car cruise night with my son. It was a speed yellow turbo and I just fell in love.

Quick Reply: Introduction and Thank you