Sponsored by:

Longest single service visit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longest single service visit?

Entering third business week of the car being in the Porsche hospital. Broken water pump, and a cracked rear housing enclosure. Today was day 16, and no end in sight. I did, however, get to see my turbos exposed, and that was cool. What is your longest wait?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14 months. But I wason my way out the door to Iraq, so I told the shop to take their time with the engine rebuild
Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
Entering third business week of the car being in the Porsche hospital. Broken water pump, and a cracked rear housing enclosure. Today was day 16, and no end in sight. I did, however, get to see my turbos exposed, and that was cool. What is your longest wait?
Over 2 weeks awaiting resolution of a transmission issue. A leaking selector shaft seal prompted the techs to contact PCNA to ask how to handle the leak.

Remove the tranny and "rebuild" it (mainly to just replace the seal) or what?

There was some mixup at PCNA having to do with among other things the type of transmission involved. While it was the 6-speed manual that was clear there was someone at PCNA who believed the tranny was the same in the NA cars and apparently this is not the case.

Finally this was resolved and the word came down to replace the tranny, not repair it. Then a new (remanufactured) transmission had to be ordered. I was told there were not any in the USA and one came from the factory by I guess air freight.

So the car was in the shop for over 2 weeks at least.

But the wait was well worth it. The remanufactured transmission went in and was and still it fluid tight (the old transmission's leak wasn't that severe but still it is nice to have a fluid tight tranny) and as a bonus the replacement tranny's shifting was much improved over that of the original.

Oh, the tranny was covered by the car's CPO warranty so the longish wait wasn't made worse by having to write a big check for the new tranny.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Longest? A couple of days when they were installing the LWFW.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

Would be nice to know what is the "rear housing enclosure".. I am curious....
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Ha, I'm going on 3+ months now and still have 1 to go. Entire car is being painted, new body panels on the drivers side, new caliper, two new wheels, alignment and coolant change. Accidents suck.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just over 2 weeks trying to diagnose a turbo shut off issue on my VW that they could never figure out. At least I wasn't charged for anything.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Probably a few weeks. I had a leak from an oil gallery plug that required the engine to be pulled. They had all kinds of problems getting the part from Porsche for it, and we finally ended up getting some stainless ones shipped in that have done the job.

Odd how a $.50 part can hold up a car that long.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scawt
Ha, I'm going on 3+ months now and still have 1 to go. Entire car is being painted, new body panels on the drivers side, new caliper, two new wheels, alignment and coolant change. Accidents suck.
If we include time the car spends in getting repaired from an accident you still beat me. The Turbo went in for repairs after encountering a mule deer and about a month later came out.

The car failed my inspection and that of my body shop friend and that of my dealer's senior technician.

Back the car went to the body shop and another month later the car was done and this time no issues were found, and I tried to have some found, believe you me.

The 1st time the car was in the shop I had my Boxster to get around in but the 2nd time the body shop supplied with me with a rental Caddy to use.

"Accidents suck."

Indeed they do.

Indeed they do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
While it was the 6-speed manual that was clear there was someone at PCNA who believed the tranny was the same in the NA cars and apparently this is not the case.
Mac,

What did they tell you was the difference between a turbo manual trans, and a NA manual trans?

David

P.S. My longest wait was 6 weeks for upgrades to engine, but had been told 10-14 days.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm currently in for: new clutch/ lightweight flywheel, new coolant hoses, GT2 clutch master solenoid conversion and pinning the coolant fittings. 2 days and counting…...
Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

the housing is the pie sized plate that the water pump fits into. At a previous visit, the PSA thinks they may have over torqued a bolt, which cracked the housing.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

the housing is the pie sized plate that the water pump fits into. At a previous visit, the PSA thinks they may have over torqued a bolt, which cracked the housing.

Ok thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by uschoice
Mac,

What did they tell you was the difference between a turbo manual trans, and a NA manual trans?

David

P.S. My longest wait was 6 weeks for upgrades to engine, but had been told 10-14 days.
No one told me the details of the differences. I never asked. I honestly wasn't interested in that info only when the car would be fixed.

The NA transmission came into the discussion because my recollection of what I was told is someone -- not by anyone at the dealer/service department -- but at PCNA or even at the factory (I think it was the factory now because language was mentioned once) -- said the Turbo used the same 6-speed transmission as the NA cars.

The techs insisted this was not the case.

At some point it came up that if the transmission was not covered by warranty -- this coverage was never in doubt but the info was conveyed to me so I pass it on -- and if I wanted the leak fixed the transmission could be rebuilt. The techs told me the two transmssions shared many components -- seals among them I guess -- and the rebuild procedures were very similar.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon FM
I'm currently in for: new clutch/ lightweight flywheel, new coolant hoses, GT2 clutch master solenoid conversion and pinning the coolant fittings. 2 days and counting…...
Picked it up today! GT2 conversion I like!

9/26 to 10/2

great shop!

Quick Reply: Longest single service visit?