Sponsored by:

Really soft clutch pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really soft clutch pedal.

Hi guys, as usual I'm after information. I noticed that my clutch was getting stiffer to press on start up after the car was sitting for a few days, it was ok if it had been used that day. Last night I took the car out for a run ( I thought some KFC for supper was a good idea ) and the pedal dropped to the floor without me trying. It went into gear and the pedal did come half way up and I drove off, but was really soft every time I changed gear and only ever came half way back?

I know I need to give up the KFC, but any more suggestions?

Thank you,

Lee.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Stiff clutch at start up-accumulator.
Second one sounds like your slave is Bye-bye too. Check for fluid leaking from the container in the trunk-driver's side. You might not have the leak,but that doesn't mean your slave is not going...
It sounds to me you're going to need a slave/accumulator.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^ right on all counts... incl the op's own nutrition advice. but who doesn't love them some kfc
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would suggest you replace both the accumulator and slave at the same time. I had the same issue, but started to see fluid seepage at the clutch firewall reservoir. This is common issue with the turbos since they use the power steering pump as an assit for the clutch. The check valves go bad in the slave cylinder, and when the accumulator goes bad it does not allow the pedal to feel normal at start up especially when it has sat.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Angelus
Instructor

I've had a look today and fluid was well below minimum. After topping it up, and bleeding the system, the pedal has returned. I can find no evidence of a leak, so where could the fluid have went? I want to bottom out this before I start changing parts.

Cheers guys.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelus
I've had a look today and fluid was well below minimum. After topping it up, and bleeding the system, the pedal has returned. I can find no evidence of a leak, so where could the fluid have went? I want to bottom out this before I start changing parts.

Cheers guys.
Your slave is toast,Pentosin probably migrated to the engine compartment reservoir(power steering).
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup overflowed at the clutch reservoir and if you look under it you will probably see a lot of wet area. Its on the drivers side front firewall under the black cover. Will probably start running down and dripping on the floor.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Angelus
Instructor

This never came back and the reservoir was dry on the outside. Could it be the accumulator bladder burst and caused the level to drop in level?

Quick Reply: Really soft clutch pedal.