What might I sell for? 2003 996 Turbo 26,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueM3
From all the pricing posts I have seen from Dock, he firmly believes he will stop the price erosion on the 996TT right here on RL by posting in these threads.
It's more of an attempt to encourage owners not to give their cars away.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

It's interesting, but Dock has a good point. I've been looking at e39 M5's, and one dealership (in Cincinnati, of all places) has really shifted the market pricing for those cars. They buy up all of the low mileage ones on the market for the two best years, do some updates, then sell them for a premium.

I'd say it's driven the price up of the low mileage ones 30-40%. Opportunistic, I'd say, but not a great spot to be in if you like a bargain.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
$62k
Dock, if someone is willing to spend $62k, there's a Carrara white X50 with CPO until 2014 with that ASKING price in the classifieds. Probably one of the nicest 996TT's available on the market, and will probably trade hands in the high 50's (57-59) if I had to guess.

Clean, really nice examples from 02-04 are with relatively low miles are probably $45-60k cars, depending on options/colors/warranty/etc.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The cost of 996 Turbos has in my opinion (as previously outlined by me in a different thread) been depressed by things that have placed the Turbo in a price range that is below what the car is really worth. The only way I know of to get the prices back up to where they should be is for owners of nice examples of the car to stop selling their cars for such rock bottom prices. There isn't much that can be done about the number (a significant number in my opinion) of beat up and/or poorly modified Turbos out there that drag down the comps, but if people don't attempt to try to raise the comps for nice Turbos it's never going to get any better.

There are 1996 993 Turbos with relatively low mileage (say less then 40k miles) that are for sale with an initial asking price in the mid to high 70s. People will say that kind of price is because of the air-cooled engine. I doubt that's the reason. People will say that kind of price is because there were fewer 993 Turbo's produced. I will reply that while supply and demand is a part of the price, the "supply" part of supply and demand doesn't always directly relate to the total numbers produced, as there is also a "supply" side to the number of cars "available" to buy. If people kept their Turbos longer the available supply of Turbos on the market would go down, meaning prices could go up.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Dock but will add that I believe a lot of people buy these cars on a whim and then decide to sell quickly to try to get their money back=often lowering the price to crazyville lol.If people keep buying cheap and doing the in my opinion ricey/boy racer mods it will eventually make the nice clean original cars worth a premium in the future,but as I said before I dought I will live to see it/but hope so lol.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While there are a few exceptions like mmporche's car, which is an exceptional example, the market is what it is. While I agree that the 996TT is the performance bargain of the century, there are quite a few of them out there.

Maybe in another 8 or 9 years, the clean stock or lightly modified examples will be selling at a premium. For now the supply and demand dictates the average selling prices.

I'm not in any hurry to sell, but I've tried to do things to my car that would enhance it's value over time and limit the aftermarket stuff (X73, GT3 style wheels, GT3 short shifter). I've also kept all the original parts so it can easily be put back to stock if so desired. Mechanically it's a 10, appearance wise it's a solid 8.5.

I've got about 60 into it. I doubt I could get all my money back out of it right now. Still it's money I consider well spent.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

I just sold my '03 996 TT in the high 40's.

My thought as I watched it drive off of my property was "I'll never be able to purchase anything as nice for the same money."

A bit of seller's remorse, as it were.

But, on to a nice raspy GT3 which more closely complements my reportedly abrasive personality............. ;-)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura

My thought as I watched it drive off of my property was "I'll never be able to purchase anything as nice for the same money."

But, on to a nice raspy GT3 which more closely complements my reportedly abrasive personality............. ;-)
There would always be buyers for good well maintained cars and these are the people who are willing to pay a bit of premium for those cars too... Unfortunately I am one of them
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Datura will it be a 996 or 997? Congrats on your sale by the way. Keep me posted on your GT3 find as you can see I am on the hunt as well. Seen a few, just nothing that has made me open my wallet yet.

In the meantime, I am getting the turbo ready to put on the wide open mkt with autotrader and cars.com.

Over the past 5 years I have had the best luck selling a Viper, 996ttS vert on autotrader. Unfortunately no luck on any of the forums though I like to start there just to get a read from the communities.

I don't need a GT3 so bad that I will end up selling below my comfort zone. Then again, if I find the right GT3 that makes me go green, I might not have a choice. It is hard when you know 5 years of history and maint and how awsome it is do drive on the track or street even though it is heavier.

On we go and another day with no new 6GT3 listings. That is the tough part.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Datura

...and as I drove away yesterday having just purchased your car, I thought-"Wow! I just bought one hell of a car for the money"
Thanks Lloyd!!!
Good luck with the GT3
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Price point, there is a nice, lower mile 2001 turbo, bone stock, 134k sticker, clean ppi, clean car at a dealer 44k.
996 turbos for whatever reason have become the red headed stepchild of the 911 turbo world.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They will come up in price in time. Not quite the same but I bought a new supra in 1993 it was the anniversary addition loaded for 14k off sticker because people did not care for the style=would be worth sticker today if I had kept it in stock like new condition/sold it after three years 3500 mi.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Smile

Originally Posted by okiedude
...and as I drove away yesterday having just purchased your car, I thought-"Wow! I just bought one hell of a car for the money"
Thanks Lloyd!!!
Good luck with the GT3
Blake!! Glad you are happy with her!! She is a beauty and I know has gone to an appreciative home!!

My search for a GT3 is over! I had seen a low miles (13,500) '07 997 for sale at a local Porsche dealer, but it looked solid black. Didn't want that! And I did not want any of the newer center lock cars.
Upon checking out the pictures more closely it is a metallic basalt (?).
Anyway, the DME was very clean, one owner, it was locally ordered, locally maintained, loaded, custom seats, mint condition and was Porsche Certified.

They came down some and I went up some and she went home with me! Me happy!!

Problem is this thing is so nice I still need a track car!!
Attached Images   
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Looks like a car that my local dealer was selling. San Antonio?

It had those seats. Very nice.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, that's a huge picture.

Quick Reply: What might I sell for? 2003 996 Turbo 26,500 miles