Sponsored by:

60k Mile 2003 996TT Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k Mile 2003 996TT Opinions

I've found (among others) an interesting 2003 996TT for sale --been a forum car for the previous few owners -- with the mods I am interested in (tune, springs, suspension bits, GT3 brakes, etc) and a recent 60k service completed.

I am looking to turn whichever 996TT I buy into a DD (12k miles/year) and therefore am a bit cautious of starting with a car already having run 60k miles. That means if I were to sell in (3) years when my wife and I begin having children, the car has nearly 100k miles and the resale is absolute garbage.

The car price is $45k (after negotiations) which is below KBB, though slightly above Edmunds TMV and NADA. The car is super clean and the mods do bring some value as I would be replicating them on whatever car I buy, but I am stuck on the 60k miles and whether I will have a car those loses $5k value each year as a result of approaching 100k miles (as the cars on ebay with north of 70k miles seem to sit and sit forever and are priced in the 30s).

Any thoughts? Should I be avoiding this car unless I can get it for more of a "screaming deal" like low $40s or is $45k about right?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always negotiate. One thing to confirm is whether is has had the full 60k mile service. That's about 2k including plugs and coils. Of course if the mods have value to you, that is another consideration

I have 60k on mine and it runs brilliantly, but only put about 5k/year on it with no plans to sell.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by SSST
Always negotiate. One thing to confirm is whether is has had the full 60k mile service. That's about 2k including plugs and coils. Of course if the mods have value to you, that is another consideration

I have 60k on mine and it runs brilliantly, but only put about 5k/year on it with no plans to sell.
Yes, it was the full 60k service (done at 57k miles). If I planned to keep the car forever, this would likely be a moot point, however knowing that finances tighten and practicality will likely be at a premium for children...I can only imagine I will be selling in 2.5-3 years (and I tend to get bored with cars. ).

$45k is about $3k off asking, though I am not sure if even that is a good price given the mileage precipice on which the car stands. It might be best to simply walk away from this one and go with a lower mileage car without mods unless I could get the price to $43k as then it would be as if I were paying $38-$39k for the car without mods and $4k factored in for mods.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueM3
I've found (among others) an interesting 2003 996TT for sale --been a forum car for the previous few owners -- with the mods I am interested in (tune, springs, suspension bits, GT3 brakes, etc) and a recent 60k service completed.

I am looking to turn whichever 996TT I buy into a DD (12k miles/year) and therefore am a bit cautious of starting with a car already having run 60k miles. That means if I were to sell in (3) years when my wife and I begin having children, the car has nearly 100k miles and the resale is absolute garbage.

The car price is $45k (after negotiations) which is below KBB, though slightly above Edmunds TMV and NADA. The car is super clean and the mods do bring some value as I would be replicating them on whatever car I buy, but I am stuck on the 60k miles and whether I will have a car those loses $5k value each year as a result of approaching 100k miles (as the cars on ebay with north of 70k miles seem to sit and sit forever and are priced in the 30s).

Any thoughts? Should I be avoiding this car unless I can get it for more of a "screaming deal" like low $40s or is $45k about right?
A car only depreciates when you sell it.

No need to sell the Turbo when kids start arriving. You can pick up a family 'wagon' and keep the Turbo for fun.

Anyhow, I'm not so sure a 100K mile Turbo's value will be absolute garbage. My 03 Turbo has around 97588 miles on it and the car runs just great.

If in fact its resale value is garbage at 100K miles I'll not care since I do not plan on getting rid of any time soon.

Knowing nothing about the car you are asking about, I'd recommend you avoid the car *only* if you (or a PPI on your behalf) find some reason to doubt its condition, its history, or your market research indicates it is overpriced and the seller refuses to budge.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster

Knowing nothing about the car you are asking about, I'd recommend you avoid the car *only* if you (or a PPI on your behalf) find some reason to doubt its condition, its history, or your market research indicates it is overpriced and the seller refuses to budge.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks for chiming in!

I guess I don't believe the car to be wildly over-priced for its current mileage and condition. That said, I feel like depreciation on the 996TT becomes non-linear with respect to mileage after you crest 70k miles. So is it wise to buy a car at market price now knowing it will quickly hit that point at which depreciation accelerates.

I know all of this is a bit foolish as the car won't be worth $20k anytime soon...I just like to be conservative and buy at the right point if at all possible to avoid any avoidable hit.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought my 996tt because I needed something practical, you know, with the kids.

I sold the impractical car for it and I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 252 Posts

First, I applaud you sense of responsibility for your future kids. Secondly, who knows the future regarding the prices and depreciation of the 996TT. I for one think it isn't headed too far south as it is increasingly known that it is an exceptional under valued car. And lastly, I'd think the mods you mentioned the car has is probably closer to 6k or 7k rather than 4k. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Kids will fit in the back of your turbo. Don't rush to sell it when kids come... Here are mine in the back of my old 964. I had them in my Turbo 3.6, too.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Thanks all!

You all are a passionate bunch...I received multiple PMs about keeping the car even after having children!

I'll need to do some soul searching (and hopefully a few more options continue to present themselves so I can pick from as many cars as possible).

Thanks again and keep the advice coming...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My kids really miss sitting in back of the Turbo. They never lasted more than 10 minutes before falling asleep because of the seats nestled on both sides of the tunnel (they never complained so and so is on my side) and the sound of the engine. Ah the memories
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

what about discussing the mileage depreciation point with the vendor, and seeing if he would meet you half way. He might go for it and you can feel you are more prepared whne the day comes. He might not on the other hand, why should he pay the price for what will happen to the car in the future.

No harm in trying.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What mods are on the car?
Seems like a good price if all legit. I never bought a car with 'resale value' in mind, but I tend to keep my cars for a long time. If I 'had' to get a car with more room for kids, I would prefer to buy a beater SUV and keep the turbo vs selling the turbo. Just my 2 cents. You never know what will happen in life - enjoy the moment.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by thomapa1
What mods are on the car?
Seems like a good price if all legit.
Mods:

Protomotive Tune
H&R Springs
GT3 Brakes and 997 Rotors (front and rear)
3M ClearBra (front)
Smoked lenses all around
Aftermarket Lower Control Arms (not sure make)
Suspected aftermarket clutch (based on feel according to a reputable tuner).
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kids have logged lots of miles in the back of my TT (and prior 911's), only now at 11 & 13 are they finding it uncomfortable. However, the older one is starting to eyeball it as something he might someday get to drive - he'd fight me tooth and nail if I tried to sell it ! Don't let the kids be an issue.

Quick Reply: 60k Mile 2003 996TT Opinions