Sponsored by:

Fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak

Just noticed today a small puddle of what appears to be brake fluid (transparent fluid with reddish tint) just in front of the driver side front wheel. Looking closer it appears the leak is coming from somewhere behind the front cowling right in front of the front driver side wheel from the underside of the front bumper. Any idea of where it could be coming from? The brake reservoir looks full (the brake fluid was literally just changed). Does a brake line run through the front bumper? could it be power steering fluid? Any help appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM
drjones
Intermediate

Sounds like a weeping bottom radiator pipe.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

I would have thought that but I don't think its coolant.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

the "newer" coolant ( at least what i'm using = audi/vw oem ) is pink but the leak location suggests pentosin which is green(ish) leaking from the front reservoir? it's probably pentosin and if so needs prompt attention. nasty stuff. that usually means you have a clutch slave failing. how's the clutch action?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

clutch seems ok. pick-up point seems a bit high but this is my first p car so don't have any past experience to go on. its definitely not slipping as I was at a lapping event last week and had no issues.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
00Coupe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check 2 places:

1. If you look at the clutch reservoir (requires you to remove 1 torx screw to remove plastic cover under the front hood) If its overflowing it could cause a leak. The reason its overflowing is you have an issue with the clutch slave cylinder. Mine has this issue and Iv driven it all summer like this, its a very slow problem.
2. Check under the engine hood at the power steering fluid (Pentosin is the oil). If this is low, basically the oil is transfering from the rear of the engine to the front which is not good. Again I have this issue and probably plan on replacing the slave cylinder over winter.

The clutch slave cylinder on the 996tt is assisted by the power steering pump. So what happens is the high pressure fluid is going to the slave cylinder, but its passing through and causing the front reservoir to overflow.

This is based on my research about the problem, but I've read the slave cyl is a DIY so I plan on doing it myself..

Check these two areas, maybe this is your issue. My clutch also feels fine, but I just noticed this wierd fluid overflow issue (again its very slow issue)
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

thanks 00Coupe will check definitely check this out.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by l8tebr8ke
Just noticed today a small puddle of what appears to be brake fluid (transparent fluid with reddish tint) just in front of the driver side front wheel. Looking closer it appears the leak is coming from somewhere behind the front cowling right in front of the front driver side wheel from the underside of the front bumper. Any idea of where it could be coming from? The brake reservoir looks full (the brake fluid was literally just changed). Does a brake line run through the front bumper? could it be power steering fluid? Any help appreciated.
A vital fluid probably, at least one must assume this, but it sort of reads like it could be headlight washer fluid.

Dip a clean/fresh q-tip into the fluid and blot the fluid on a clean piece of white paper.

Then dip a clean/fresh q-tip into the windshield/headlight washer fluid tank and blot the q-tip on the paper.

Repeat for the brake fluid reservoir, the power steering fluid reservoir and yet another clean/fresh q-tip into the coolant reservoir -- all of this done with the engine off and cold! -- and blot each on the same piece of paper and then I think you can tell which fluid you had leaking.

Or you can get the car safely in the air and have a good look. The problem with leaks with these cars is the presence of the underbody panels can result in fluid leaks appearing at places that can make the diagnosis difficult.

In some cases one or more underbody panels might have to be removed to confirm the leak is say coming from the power steering rack and not a leaking power steering line fitting.

Sincerely,

Macster.,
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Thanks for all the help. 00Coupe don't think its the clutch slave cylinder as the clutch reservoir is not overflowing. I also checked the fluid color and it looks like it matches closet to coolant. So likely a weeping radiator pipe. Still going to need to remove the under body panels to confirm where exactly the leak is coming from.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Remove the front bumper cover, radiator inlet shrouds, forward wheel liners. The radiators will be fully exposed and you'll be able to pinpoint any leaks. Do a debris cleaning while you're at it, it probably will need it. It's all easy to do with a couple of torx wrenches.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Could also be cracked endtank like I had, small drip. I checked it out and it had a crack. Also some of the hoses in the front have shi$%y hold and leak.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

seems like the leak has stopped or at least slowed right down. No more fluid on my garage floor after taking the car out for a bit. in any case I will try to look a bit closer this weekend.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should be able by smell to verify if its coolant. Coolant has a very distinct odor!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

pretty sure it is as it has that distinctive smell. Is it possible for a leak to be intermittent? Drove the car for the last two days and there is no signs of the leak, at least not on the garage floor. The leak did only show up after coming back from a lapping event so I wonder if it only happens under heavy load?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

again, pink is the clue it *might* be coolant. at the risk of being obvious, how's the coolant level? mine's been fluctuating all summer with a few top off's of 50/50 water/coolant. but no obvious leaks. like others have suggested. could be a drivers side rad?

Quick Reply: Fluid leak