Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy HP mods for 996tt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012 | 01:57 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Default Easy HP mods for 996tt?

I'm still on the fence between a 996tt and a 997S and some have mentioned that upgrades and mods are much easier on the 996tt. What are some of the more common mods, and how much HP do you typically gain from these? I looked at a eurocharged tune and they claim 70HP and 80+ TQ at the crank for an ECU flash. Anybody ever try this? I don't plan on tracking the car or doing heavy mods, but a few simple ones wouldn't be out of the picture. Cheers!
Old 08-28-2012 | 02:15 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

ECU tune and an exhaust are the best, first mods for power increases.
Old 08-28-2012 | 02:19 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

And the roughly 70-100 HP you gain from ECU and exhaust is CHEAP CHEAP in comparison to trying to yank that out of any NA car.
Old 08-28-2012 | 02:53 PM
litsout996t
Intermediate

i have a european performance labs tune for 1.2 bar boost and a akrapovic titanium exhaust on my car and it is night and day compared to a stock 996tt. The car is much faster now. Tune and exhaust and be done
Old 08-28-2012 | 03:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
...some have mentioned that upgrades and mods are much easier on the 996tt.
And they would be right...
Old 08-29-2012 | 07:40 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Remap+high flow filter+Sport Exhaust (or even oem decat...) Job done !! Forgemotorsport turbo actuators are a must for adjusting boost delivery too ( need to be fitted by a professional).
I did remove all the cats on my oem exhaust and it work well , better flow than before (not as good as a good sport exhaust) , Sound is a little bit more raw without being loud . If the car is in tiptop condition, without boost leak,with the actuators/wastegates working properly just a remap make a hell of a difference.
Old 08-30-2012 | 12:23 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

You are starting on a slippery slope. My original plan was muffler only. That lead to headers, diverters and cats which led to "tune" which led to new MAF. Then a year later brake upgrade, PSS 10's, Recaros and new carbon fibre steering wheel with paddle shifters. Then Nav system quit so had to upgrade to latest and greatest aftermarket (so to speak).

John in Vancouver
Old 08-30-2012 | 01:13 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crazyfrog
high flow filter
Wrong

need to be fitted by a professional).
Wrong

I did remove all the cats on my oem exhaust and it work well ,
Ghetto.

But agree with 'exhaust, remap'...no need for wastegates ("Actuators") unless you have K24 (GT2/X50) turbos. Wastegates can be DIY, but not the same ease as airfilters.

Airfilters being useless mods under 600HP.
Old 08-30-2012 | 06:56 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Remap+high flow filter+Sport Exhaust (or even oem decat...) Job done !!
Back to my original question though, it sounds like the mods listed here could easily be done on a 997 also, no? Filter, exhaust, etc. The posts I've read stated that modifying a 996tt was much easier and cheaper than a 997. From the list of proposed mods, most could also be done on a 997 just as easily for about the same cost. What am I missing?
Old 08-30-2012 | 07:05 PM
Tytus
Instructor

The ECU mods will not yield the same results on a non turbo as they will on a turbo, you will simply get much more power from the 996tt.

Tytus
Old 08-30-2012 | 07:06 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

What you are missing is that you couldn't hope to get even in the ballpark of 100 HP out of a NA 997 for anywhere near the price of getting the same HP gain out of the turbo. You could do an ECU tune and exhaust and filter (although that would be a complete waste) and maybe squeeze out 30HP if you were lucky. Don't know the price on doing that but complete guess from my previous experience tells me that would run a few thousand dollars. For the same few thousand dollars I can get 100 HP from my TT.

Make sense?
Old 08-30-2012 | 09:41 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Forge actuators will aloud you to delay the opening of the wastgates ....so will hold boost for longer , reduce lag on X50 yes but still good on K16. It take some knowledge to adjust them properly , not everybody can do it....To do it 100% right the exhaust need to come off.

A good High flow filter will make a difference (did test it on my previous turbocharged cars with smaller cc....) Will work best with the double inlet air box on the 996 turbo.

A OEM exhaust with gutted cats is less restrictive than one with cats in them !!!!Take a oem exhaust and cut it open....the biggest cats I have ever seen on any cars !!!!! I have done it trust me it make a difference.... Done it on many cars too even diesels.
You will obviously get a much better flow with a good straight through type exhaust (3" work best) especially for the top end. For road use a gutted oem exhaust is fine , it will increase torque low down as the turbos can spool earlier . Very cheap mod if you don't want to buy a sport exhaust, sound nice by the way.

Some mod bring little gain I am agree but a little bit here and there and it make a difference.

Done many mods on previous cars pulling big power and each time I did check the car on the rolling road before and after doing a mod.

Stock 996 turbo , X50 are very restricted with their air box and exhaust , that is reality...Thanks noise and emission regulation !!! On a turbocharged it is "simple" you need to a have better flow for the air to go in and a better flow for the exhaust gas to get out.
Old 08-31-2012 | 01:08 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Forge actuators will aloud you to delay the opening of the wastgates ....so will hold boost for longer , reduce lag on X50 yes but still good on K16. It take some knowledge to adjust them properly , not everybody can do it....To do it 100% right the exhaust need to come off.

A good High flow filter will make a difference (did test it on my previous turbocharged cars with smaller cc....) Will work best with the double inlet air box on the 996 turbo.

A OEM exhaust with gutted cats is less restrictive than one with cats in them !!!!Take a oem exhaust and cut it open....the biggest cats I have ever seen on any cars !!!!! I have done it trust me it make a difference.... Done it on many cars too even diesels.
You will obviously get a much better flow with a good straight through type exhaust (3" work best) especially for the top end. For road use a gutted oem exhaust is fine , it will increase torque low down as the turbos can spool earlier . Very cheap mod if you don't want to buy a sport exhaust, sound nice by the way.

Some mod bring little gain I am agree but a little bit here and there and it make a difference.

Done many mods on previous cars pulling big power and each time I did check the car on the rolling road before and after doing a mod.

Stock 996 turbo , X50 are very restricted with their air box and exhaust , that is reality...Thanks noise and emission regulation !!! On a turbocharged it is "simple" you need to a have better flow for the air to go in and a better flow for the exhaust gas to get out.
Uh. OK.

so you are saying that the wastegates will hold longer AND REDUCE LAG ?

I'm not really interested in quibbling...but spouting off nonsense based on vast experience "with other cars, trust me" doesnt fly with me.
The following users liked this post:
dinodog (10-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2012 | 05:31 AM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Damn you are really not familiar with adjustable actuators....they are used in tuning and racing on Porsches and other makes as well .

On a 996 turbo stock or especially remapped you can tuned the engine a little bit further by fitting some adjustable actuators, by changing the power of the springs inside them (stonger spring).

Stock ones are sealed unit, they have a spring inside them just good enough for stock cars. The spring is lighter and sometimes the flap in the turbo don't close properly= tiny lost of boost=lag. The upgraded actuators will start to open the wastegate later compare to stock so will hold boost longer !!
Stock actuators are dead easy to fit but the Forge one are more tricky to adjust as and are available with 3 different rate of springs.

That mod is popular over here in europ on Porsche turbo and been done since the first Porsche turbo been made by the way.......Not new at all.

I have a pair fitted on my car and can confirm IT DOES WORK.

On top of that the OEM actuators do rust like hell (except if you live in a very dry country). The Forge one are stainless steel and from high quality aluminium billet. Different league compare to stock.
I didn't know about that mod before and found out from someone who did it on his 996 Turbo ....In life you learn by listening people. Enough said.
Old 08-31-2012 | 11:06 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

According to this thread, no benefit for K16, but will help X50/K24 cars.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...t-special.html

I'll go with what Kevin says

Quick Reply: Easy HP mods for 996tt?