Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

the last full year i operated this car without a front plate i got no less than three or four citations all while legally parked. one even while visibly displaying my temp op permit.. which was given to me so as to avoid being cited while i waited for my replacement plate to be made/mailed. what can you say about that. to contest it takes hours of a court appearance in addition to the trip to the cop shop to show compliance once you get it or re-install it. i didn't have to do the math, and the principle of matter is laughable. the "system" is bent. it has been years since driving without one in SoCal was even a calculated risk. to do that now, you've got to be sienfeld who i seem to remember used to leave his porsche(S) in red or bus zones as it suited him. now, you'll have a ticket within minutes for that infraction in highly patrolled business LA districts. read: all.

select ( soon to be ubiquitous ) highway interstates nationally are currently implementing plate scanning technology, ( make of that what you will ) so it's only a matter of time before front plates are mandatory nationwide.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nikon FM
stopped once just east of Ellensburg, once just west of Ritzville - I90 obviously
just put the decal on today
got from
http://jjgs.com/
I'm around this weekend, and will be going for a drive. Let meknow if you want to see it
Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 AM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to have the actual plate on the Porsche

In CA you need the actual issued plate on the front, vertical, and visible, they use scanners and cameras all over and need to track, verify, and photo, by garages bridges and toll areas. At one time all they required was the vessel id and state on the front, this is changed, due to technology.The issued plate is reflective for all new cars. There are certain older cars that where exempt do to original design of the vehicle as built by the manufacturer.I just wonder when they will require front plates on motorcycles too, lol
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Front plates also required in TX. I gave in and put one on so I would not get hassled. I was in line going into Cars and Coffee when a police car pulled up and said "you in the black Porsche pull over". The guy in front of me in a black 997 pulled over. I talked ot him later that day and he said they gave him a ticket for no front plate and window tint too dark. Its really BS. Fly2low I would like to see your decal plate after you install it.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Santa Barbara actually hires people to walk the public parking lots/structures and issue these tickets on parked cars! At $75/ticket, I can only imagine the revenue this generates over the Summer alone. Helluva tax to levy on people coming to spend money in their city.
Just another reason I don't got to Santa Barbara, Beverly Hills etc. I'd rather give friendlier places my money in happier ways. It's like the old "punishment will increase until moral improves". Love those wonderful city councils.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the decal
looks good, and should pass inspection when on the road
don't have time to photoshop a pic right now
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been driving in TX with no front plate on my cars for about 10 years. Never been pulled over for it. And never been hassled about it when pulled over for speeding.

I did have a local where we have our bay house stop by to ogle the car one day. He said, you are supposed to have a front plate. I asked, would you put a plate on front if it were yours? He said, Nope!

That's about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

This is a thought-provoking thread. On the way home from work, I counted approx how many cars parked or driving opposite direction from me that didn't have front plates mounted, which is a up to $200 fine in Wisconsin. My guesstimate is that 10-15% of the cars I saw did not have front plates.

Nevertheless, as my TT didn't come with a front plate holder, I dutiful mounted a Porsche OEM front plate holder and bumper adapters. I also feel that the TT just screams "find a reason to ticket me." No thanks- would rather spend that money on car parts!

I added nylon washers to the back of the black adapter brackets- had to take off front spoiler to do so- - as I didn't want the thing to pop off first time someone backed into me while parallel parking. I would have taken pictures for a DIY thread, but fingers too greasy for my camera.
This is a good tutorial on how to remove front spoiler on a 996:

only difference for the TT is that we have more torx fasteners on bottom of spoiler and of course we have different radiator and AC condensor configurations. Cleaned out the radiator and AC condensors while I was in there.
If my front plate holder gets knocked off somehow- I am definitely getting one of those front towbar screw-in license plate holders- they look pretty rugged.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NeunElfDrehzahl
This is a thought-provoking thread. On the way home from work, I counted approx how many cars parked or driving opposite direction from me that didn't have front plates mounted, which is a up to $200 fine in Wisconsin. My guesstimate is that 10-15% of the cars I saw did not have front plates.
And the fine is only for WI registered cars. Just curious...did you check the rear plates to make sure they were WI cars? Been driving mine since '04 sans front plate and never got a ticket....knock on wood.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

If my front plate holder gets knocked off somehow- I am definitely getting one of those front towbar screw-in license plate holders- they look pretty rugged.
i'm using one. it's better ( imo ) than the stock holes/mounting plastic bits. my first one snapped off at 100+, but the guy that makes them made me another reinforced one ( a backing plate bracket ) and no problems. also, it needs to be "centered" instead of positioned far right, so that wind can't get under it, which can happen at speed if it's not centered. was like 50 bucks and just twists off if need be.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i'm using one. it's better ( imo ) than the stock holes/mounting plastic bits. my first one snapped off at 100+, but the guy that makes them made me another reinforced one ( a backing plate bracket ) and no problems. also, it needs to be "centered" instead of positioned far right, so that wind can't get under it, which can happen at speed if it's not centered. was like 50 bucks and just twists off if need be.
Good tip- makes sense about the high speed wind effect.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 AM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wross996tt
And the fine is only for WI registered cars. Just curious...did you check the rear plates to make sure they were WI cars? Been driving mine since '04 sans front plate and never got a ticket....knock on wood.
Yeah- a lot of Illinois cars down near Kenosha- commuting to and fro. Can't blame them- I love living and working in Wisconsin myself!.

No, this was a very unscientific study- just checked front plates as I was driving.
Didn't want to get a ticket for inattentive driving either!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Good tip- makes sense about the high speed wind effect.
for reference. if you or anyone needs one of the tow hook mounting brackets. this guy makes them and sells them for less than half what others charge. it's all inclusive along with idiot proof instructions. don't ask me how i know. very helpful guy... and i've bought a few

mods: if this is against forum rules, mea culpa.

ROLF STUMBERGER stumberger_r@msn.com
Old 09-09-2012, 12:53 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if a front plate is really bad now. Someone backed up into my RS last week while I was parallel park and I gave the guy plenty of room.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by David A
I wonder if a front plate is really bad now. Someone backed up into my RS last week while I was parallel park and I gave the guy plenty of room.
great avatar pic!!

Quick Reply: front license plate