Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winging It - Expert Opinion Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Winging It - Expert Opinion Needed!

I'm going to be purchasing a 996tt, and I like the aesthetics of a larger wing. I've done about 15 hours of research on 6speed and rennlist, and haven't been able to find anything definitive. I've read all the good and bad reviews/opinions on (and have checked out the offering of) the following companies:

Sharkwerks
Techart
Mashaw
Wicked
PrecisionPorsche
Suncoast
Getty
Misha

I haven't seen any substantive (or otherwise) information on aerodynamic benefits of changing the rear wing. I like the aesthetics and ease of NOT replacing the deck-lid, and bolting on a larger upper (bi-wing?) wing to the existing hydraulic system. Something like the Wicked offering, but not necessarily that wing. I am also interested in an option that would eliminate the need for painting (if the color was matched to the OEM paint spec., or carbon fiber), but that is secondary.

My application would be street use, but similar to track use if you're thinking about Laguna or Sears. Meaning in my case sub 130mph tight and sweeping curves.

Questions:
- What are the aero BENEFITS of the larger wings? I'd be interested to hear from the vendors on this one? Or, what are the quantifiable differences between the OEM and ______ (fill in the blank) aftermarket offering?
- From members who have the experience, have you noticed anything other than an aesthetic benefit?
- If you have the split wing aftermarket option, is there a value to raising/lowering the wing? What does it do to the stability of the car?
- At high speeds, 130+, what are the affects of a larger aftermarket upper wing.

Any opinions and guidance would help me and others. I have two friends with 996 Turbos who are wondering the same thing.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKane
I'm going to be purchasing a 996tt, and I like the aesthetics of a larger wing. I've done about 15 hours of research on 6speed and rennlist, and haven't been able to find anything definitive. I've read all the good and bad reviews/opinions on (and have checked out the offering of) the following companies:

Sharkwerks
Techart
Mashaw
Wicked
PrecisionPorsche
Suncoast
Getty
Misha

I haven't seen any substantive (or otherwise) information on aerodynamic benefits of changing the rear wing. I like the aesthetics and ease of NOT replacing the deck-lid, and bolting on a larger upper (bi-wing?) wing to the existing hydraulic system. Something like the Wicked offering, but not necessarily that wing. I am also interested in an option that would eliminate the need for painting (if the color was matched to the OEM paint spec., or carbon fiber), but that is secondary.

My application would be street use, but similar to track use if you're thinking about Laguna or Sears. Meaning in my case sub 130mph tight and sweeping curves.

Questions:
- What are the aero BENEFITS of the larger wings? I'd be interested to hear from the vendors on this one? Or, what are the quantifiable differences between the OEM and ______ (fill in the blank) aftermarket offering?
- From members who have the experience, have you noticed anything other than an aesthetic benefit?
- If you have the split wing aftermarket option, is there a value to raising/lowering the wing? What does it do to the stability of the car?
- At high speeds, 130+, what are the affects of a larger aftermarket upper wing.

Any opinions and guidance would help me and others. I have two friends with 996 Turbos who are wondering the same thing.
My info is that aerodynamic features/aides sold as such are supposed to be accompanied by documentation that well documents the benefit of attaching such a feature.

If there isn't any documentation supplied by the maker/reseller then one has to assume that in the best case there isn't any benefit.

In the medium worst case one upsets the aerodynamics the factory provided for and can back up its aerodynamic aides/features with documentation of their benefits (reduced lift, increased down force) derived from wind tunnel and real world testing.

Along with this the car's cooling efficiency can be compromised as well. (I'm amazed at how cool a 3.6l 400hp twin turbo charged car can run even in high ambient heat. Porsche gets two thumbs up from me in this regard.)

In the worst case the car's aerodynamics can be upset to the point the car's high speed stability is compromised. One might not realize this until at speed his car is up in the air and he's looking down at the roadway he was just traveling on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^What he said^^

Don't add a wing to the back if you do not add a properly engineered front down-force system to go with it. Basically if you plan to track the car, leave it alone or be very careful about doing any aero modifications. Porsche has spent lots of engineering time and money developing what they have and many of the after market components do not have the R&D behind them. There are some good systems out there but they are pricey and you should buy the whole package.

I originally had the wrong chin spoiler for the car and didn't realize how significant it was until I got the right part and tried it on the track and saw a difference.

Putting a big wing on the back will lift the front end and the car will wander, this happens from about 110+. If you don't drive that fast and like the looks then it doesn't matter, but if you do then leave well enough alone or add a Porsche approved system to your car.

Tytus
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

The only wings that I know of that definitely provide a documented aerodynamic benefit are the Porsche aerokit for 6turbo (front and rear pieces), and the OEM GT2 works (front and rear). The GT2 owners manual documents the benefits.

RUF also claims an aerodynamic benefit, but I don't know if I've ever seen any documentation in support thereof. (attached is a spec sheet from a magazine article - edit removed).

The others listed may also provide such benefits, but I don't recall ever seeing any documentation to support the claims.

Last edited by JG 996T; 08-24-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Removed attachment - no aero data.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you didn't mention non-functional hydraulics, but the stock wing locked in the up position is what I chose to do. I used the eBay fix sold by sbrtampa (http://myworld.ebay.com/sbrtampa/).
Pros:
OEM wing (not messing with aerodynamic design of car)
No need for paint as you would have with primered aftermarket wing (not applicable for carbon fiber)
Reduced weight after removing hydraulic pump
Forever eliminating threat of crappy hydraulics petering out
Height adjustable (simple adjustment with a wrench)
Much lower cost vs. every alternative
CONS:
Reduced cool factor (losing deployment of the wing)
Car is no longer 100% stock (if that's your thing)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

the mashaw or oem gt2 wing will drastically increase the downforce on the car. without the proper front bumper you are asking for issues.
also look at the oem aerokit wing. the biggest benefit of the fixed wing is you wont have the recurring spoiler hyd issues that will most assuredly youwill have down the road.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with others. If you plan to drive at high speeds, you need to be careful in what you do. If you add more down force to the rear, you need to do the same to the front.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

From being able to drive the above mentioned kits, anything above 135 to 140 mph require "known matched" kits. The GT2 front bumper which includes the correct ducting and inner wheelwell plastic is the most stable, 2nd is the factory aero kit. However, it did not feel stable to my liking at 135 plus. This was cured with a corner balance and lowering the front end to produce more rake angle. The stock TT when fitted with a PSS9 or 10's and cornerbalanced and adjusted for a decent ride height is stable to 130 mph. After that the front does feel lighter. Less than what I like.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I have a CF aftermarket wing on my seal grey TT. I tracked the car a few times this summer, and while the car always feels light in the nose all the time, I didn't feel it was an issue, and the back straight of BIR gets me over 150+, followed by a near full throttle wide sweeper. I don't like the feel of the 996 period at speed, but it goes where I point it, so it's just not an issue for me.
My wing was an eBay copy of a common big name larger moving wing. Look up xtrememotorsports. Great price, great quality, good customer service.
Good luck!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone for your guidance. You've backed up my initial guesswork, so thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

FYI this is the OE rear wing and front splitter.

Last edited by x50type; 08-27-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: missing pix
Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

FYI - this is the OE aerodynamic package "Turbo Aerokit for $7980.

Last edited by x50type; 09-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the RUF wing and it works great, also notice with top down the air flow is much less turbulent with it up. My only complaint is small cracks in the paint around the mounts to the actuators, this happened after a very high speed run through Montana, almost like it was pressed down so hard it flexed the wing, which is Carbon fibre.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a mashaw GT2 front and a misha GT2 Tail with OEM GT2 adjustable wing and mounts on it. I used custom duct work and a repositioned center radiator to make the mashaw kit track worthy.

The car is super to 160+ on the track. I just used a stock angle on the rear wing, and have not really messed with it.

The quality is great on both pieces with is slight fitment edge going to the misha wing. Both are fiberglass so expect some prep.

Tom
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tvurt
I have a mashaw GT2 front and a misha GT2 Tail with OEM GT2 adjustable wing and mounts on it. I used custom duct work and a repositioned center radiator to make the mashaw kit track worthy.

The car is super to 160+ on the track. I just used a stock angle on the rear wing, and have not really messed with it.

The quality is great on both pieces with is slight fitment edge going to the misha wing. Both are fiberglass so expect some prep.

Tom
"Show me your papers!!"

Or,

Could I get some documentation on that?

(Of course, kidding... this nonsense of 'anything different than stock must be inferior" is annoying. There is a lot to consider, yes, but you can mod a car and not flip upside down and die....)

Quick Reply: Winging It - Expert Opinion Needed!