Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About those power steering lines/couplings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012 | 06:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default About those power steering lines/couplings...

I spoke to the tech about these, and with my Turbo's old power steering tank on the bench the tech showed me the connectors.

Because I had expressed some concern about these connectors, make that couplings leaking the tech assured me that in my car's case the couplings came apart without any drama.

I asked if this was due to how clean that area is, and he said no. He said his experience is that hard to separate couplings or leaking couplings are due to a person trying to pry apart/separate the coupling with one or more screwdrivers.

This damages and can even break the couplings.

They are of different sizes so there's no risk of getting them hooked up backwards.

There's trick to getting them disconnected though. Porsche even makes a special tool for this. I was remiss in not taking pics of this tool.

Anyhow, the trick is to slip this tool in the gap between the tank and hose couplings and then shove the hose towards the tank connector.

The forces the tank coupling inwards a fraction of an inch which then allows the tech with the tool to separate the hose coupling from the tank coupling with very little force.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-13-2012 | 07:10 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Macster, can you do a google search for"air conditionning coupling tool" and look at the images. Do you see anything that looks like the one you saw the Porsche tech uses? Just curious,Thanks a lot.
Old 08-13-2012 | 09:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
Macster, can you do a google search for"air conditionning coupling tool" and look at the images. Do you see anything that looks like the one you saw the Porsche tech uses? Just curious,Thanks a lot.
A quick search turned up nothing like the tool the tech showed me.

An attempt at a brief description: It is a thin strip of rather stiff steel (or maybe alum? -- I didn't get to hold the tool) at least 6" inches or so long and about 1" wide and maybe 1/16" thick if that much with a gentle bend at one end like a bicycle tire changing lever has at the working end.

This end has an C shape opening clearly intended to clear the coupling's outer diameter and fit securely in the gap between the tank and hose couplings.

The fingers of the 'C' are positioned to apply force in the center of and at 180 degrees apart to the hose coupling's face. The bend is positioned to apply an opposite force to the face of the tanks's coupling.

In fact I might believe both ends are functional the other end having either a larger C or smaller C opening since the couplings at the tank were different diameters.

Wish I could be of more help. My Turbo references have a big gap with nothing on the power steering tank R&R.

If you really need more info I can see if I can swing by and get a pic of the tool. The tech might not grant me permission to take a pic though, so don't get your hopes too high.

Just occurred to me: Maybe the parts manager has a pic (drawing) in his parts database.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-13-2012 | 10:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
Found a drawing of the tool in my 986 factory references. Send me a PM and I'll send you a small file of the drawing. I can't print the page from the larger PDF out the PDF is protected but I did a screen snapshot and pasted the graphic into a Wordpad RTF file.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2012 | 09:33 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

I think I got it Macster. Thanks for your help, J.P.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2012 | 03:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

That's it.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: About those power steering lines/couplings...