Sponsored by:

The Porsche Tax

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Prices reflect what products can demand in the market place.

If modifying a 996 Turbo is too expensive for someone's blood, then don't mod the car. Or sell the Turbo and buy a used pick-up truck.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

A few things to consider.

We're talking about a car costing between $130K to $170K when new.

The OE base muffler without covers, clamps, hardware is about $4200

Manufacturers of parts and accessories take into account many factors in pricing their wares.

For the most part it's market driven.

I agree that most of these parts and accessories are obscenely priced. The cars are too, when new. I will not pay $2k to $5K for a muffler or $3K-$5K for shocks and springs. I enjoy the car perfectly fine being stock. Having a bit more noise to the exhaust, sitting an inch lower to the ground and a firmer ride are not work $ Ten Grand $ to me. I'm not in the income bracket where I can make that kind of money in an afternoon.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Mt EP2 Loud is in no way quiet.
Well it depends 's from person to person. Whichever EP I drove, sounded to quiet. For me. That is all I'm saying. I guess it depends on what you want the car for ? I don't mind a loud car that sounds proper. Just like I don't mind DD my turbo with negative 3.2 front camber and negative 2.8 rear camber, 650lb front and 1050lb rear, spring rates. I don't care that the tires wear out more in the inside. As long as I have that perfect handling and grip, with music when I hit the throttle. That's perfect to me. My father drove my car for a week a few months back because he couldn't find his car keys LOL . He was find with it. He loved the exotic noise the exhaust I have makes vs other ones he has heard. He is 51 too. Like I said, it depends on the persons tolerances.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Well it depends 's from person to person.
While this is true, there is no question that sound can be measured and "loudness" assessed by evaluating the dB.

There is a difference in loudness between the EP2 Quiet and the EP2 Loud. While the EP2 Loud may not rise to the dB level you like, that does not mean the exhaust is quiet.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
While this is true, there is no question that sound can be measured and "loudness" assessed by evaluating the dB.

There is a difference in loudness between the EP2 Quiet and the EP2 Loud. While the EP2 Loud may not rise to the dB level you like, that does not mean the exhaust is quiet.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...e-x50-cpo.html

That's the car I drove. Stage 1 EP, as the owner states wit headers, which i found quiet- 5-10% louder then stock ? . Yup it all depends what the owner finds the perfect loudness to them. I made the mistake of not getting a proper car ready for most of my needs, a GT2.- so I made this the ultimate TT that caters to my needs. Eventually a more raw car will come will suit my needs.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I agree that most of these parts and accessories are obscenely priced. The cars are too, when new. I will not pay $2k to $5K for a muffler or $3K-$5K for shocks and springs. I enjoy the car perfectly fine being stock. Having a bit more noise to the exhaust, sitting an inch lower to the ground and a firmer ride are not work $ Ten Grand $ to me. I'm not in the income bracket where I can make that kind of money in an afternoon.
Thank you for a little validation here. I was using exhausts as an example, hadn't intended for the thread to melt down into a "which exhaust is better" talk. I meant as a general broad brush statement (sorry Lewis/Dock), aftermarket "improvements" cost far more than comparable items for other lesser (mere mortal) marques. As an example of additional silliness, take Vivid Racing's little tiptronic paddle shifter extension thingammies. Made from JENYUWHINE carbon fiber of course. These tiny little pieces are $400 for the pair! Held on with double sticky tape no less! Now come on guys. This is laughably out of line. Frankly, they'd have looked better, lasted longer, been vastly cheaper to make and matched the car better if they were made from billet aluminum and bead blasted or anodized black. You know, like the STOCK Porsche paddles are? There are always notable exceptions to any statement/rule, (UMW tunes, yeah it's on the to do list) and I acknowledge them as exceptions. I'm just sayin....

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
Hey uschoice, did you buy your TurboS from Phillips Auto? If so, I saw that car advertised in auto trader, and by the time I got around to making the trip down it was sold...Beautiful car...
Turbosjedi- Yeah that's the car. It was very hard finding a TTS in cobalt blue.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quick968
Thank you for a little validation here. I was using exhausts as an example, hadn't intended for the thread to melt down into a "which exhaust is better" talk. I meant as a general broad brush statement (sorry Lewis/Dock), aftermarket "improvements" cost far more than comparable items for other lesser (mere mortal) marques.
I was also just using the exhaust as a point of discussion. But I will say that I don't worry about the price of parts, especially aftermarket parts used for modifying the car. If I couldn't afford to maintain a Turbo, I wouldn't have bought one. As for modifications, people can choose to live without them. If the mods are too pricey for someone, they don't have to buy them.

As for an exhaust like the Europipe, you get what you pay for IMO; an exhaust that is better made than any other exhaust made for the Turbo. It sounds good, and has little to no resonance.

The 996 Turbo was a +$120k car when new. Just because the car has depreciated to the $35-$60k range does not mean that all of a sudden everything else about the car (parts, both OEM and aftermarket) has also depreciated that much.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

These tiny little pieces are $400 for the pair!
And if the market votes "no" with their wallets, these parts will go bust.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

....I meant as a general broad brush statement (sorry Lewis/Dock), aftermarket "improvements" cost far more than comparable items for other lesser (mere mortal) marques. ....

Cheers
Mikey
FWIW and for the record, I am the owner of an 01 996 Turbo with less than 6000 miles, in stock OEM form. Yes, the world needs garage queens too.

To me, trying a new car shampoo is the biggest "modification" I will try. I don't know nor follow the cost for all these mods ... that's what 6speed.com was created for.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Originally Posted by uschoice
Turbosjedi- Yeah that's the car. It was very hard finding a TTS in cobalt blue.
I ended up finding the Cobalt Blue with saddle interior at Strong in Salt Lake....Your car intrigued me and got me interested in finding the "S" in that beautiful color.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Same here, the IO-520BB major was $4k more than the Bo cost when new. The McCauley C76 Prop OH was $8K. Flying is worse than Porsches and boats combined cost wise. But the joy of flying is a notch above Pcars on track IMO. I just realized you live in Eagle. I moved here to Gilbert 5 years ago from Eagle, worked at Micron. Had the Bo hangared at Caldwell Industrial, we lived in Countryside Estates just off Ballantyne. All together now, "It's a small world after all...."

Cheers
Mikey

Mikey....wow it is a small world..When you worked at Micron, did you ever pal around with Kip Bedard? If so, next time you talk to him inquire what the roll out distance is on a 210 with gear up on a gravel runway..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

996TT parts prices will drop just like all middle aged Porsche parts do.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A Bonanza is now a $650,000 airplane. Parts are directly related to the cost of the aircraft. I also agree, parts for a plane are stupidly expensive due to the incredibly stupid "deep pockets" aspect of US liability laws. Brake rotors for a Lear 45 are $50,000. Each!
One of our mechanics told me a brake job on our MD11s runs in excess of $750k. Each landing costs $500 in brake wear.....
Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
As discussed above, there are several different versions of Europipe, depending on your preference for sound level.

On a side note, a less expensive exhaust option would be the Ruf exhaust, which is a modified OEM unit.
The RUF exhaust with 100 cell CATs is about $5000 new, hardly a less expensive option.....

Quick Reply: The Porsche Tax