Sponsored by:

Replacing coolant with water

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 PM
z99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing coolant with water

Anybody know of Any downside of using water with Water Wetter versus coolant solution? This would be only for track season. I would put coolant back in over winter.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, not enough lubricant for the water pump.

I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Do you know that water wetter is just Pink water and Glycerine...

I'd run the coolant...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by z99
Anybody know of Any downside of using water with Water Wetter versus coolant solution? This would be only for track season. I would put coolant back in over winter.

Thanks
What the others have said with an added comment that unless track rules forbid running coolant consisting of anti-freeze/water stay with coolant, reasonably fresh and blended with the correct anti-freeze/distilled water.

Check part # of tank cap. If the part # doesn't end in '02' or '04' ('03' was skipped for some reason), or some higher number now replace it with a new cap.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
z99
Instructor

Thanks everyone. Just worried for other people on track as I have not done any of the coolant pipe solutions as of yet. Anyone know if engine will run hotter?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by z99
Thanks everyone. Just worried for other people on track as I have not done any of the coolant pipe solutions as of yet. Anyone know if engine will run hotter?
Well, the consideration for your fellow track enthusiasts is commendable, but if you really believe the engine is likely to suffer a coolant pipe or hose failure on the track you should really consider addressing that possibility and eliminating it.

A sudden loss of even an engine cooling system filled with water wetter could have you end up on a guard rail or send another driver off into the weeds avoiding you.

Even if you and others manage to keep things on the asphalt a hard running engine should not experience a catastrophic loss of coolant if it can be avoided. The engine has a considerable heat load that has suddenly no where to go with the loss of coolant concurrent with a loss of pressure.

That very hot coolant will flash to steam and what coolant remains and can flow through the engine will be blocked at some places at least partially and localized overheating will result.

Serious engine damage can arise from this.

An engine (with fresh oil) and with a properly functioning cooling system -- this means one that is not only fluid tight but pressure tight -- with both fans working and clean trash free radiator ducts should be able to handle anything you throw at it track-wise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

z99, you can read some test that say that when you increase the water ratio, and less coolant you can actually get a "little" more cooling/heat transfer. From what I have seen 60/40 vs 50/50..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
z99
Instructor

Thanks gentlemen. Will stick to coolant. Car has only 12k on it. Hopefully robust enough to last season. Going for permanent fix next season.

Quick Reply: Replacing coolant with water