Sponsored by:

Oil Change issue-smoke/oil burn

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by sbefar01
Well . . . . . . . does anyone know how to install diverter valves? Thought I was in the clear! I got a check engine light, brought it to the dealer and the diverter valves were bad bc of the overfill. I just ordered the upgraded Agency Diverter Valve pair since i was going to do that anyways for the Softronic/EPL upgrade in the winter. My friend is an ASE Certified mechanic but i would like to give him some pointers on the diverter install. Thx again for all your assistance and
wisdom

And yes Macster thank you for the boost of confidence that the crankcase pressure most likely didnt result in a damages/no CEL until until proper fill level was attained ironically.
Sorry I can't help you with diverter valve R&R.

BTW, I was not aware DV's could/would be affected by an engine overfilled with oil.

Interesting.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 AM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happened to my car (before I bought it). Take a look at the following discussion on this forum:
http://tinyurl.com/Overfill996TT

You've undoubtedly blown a bunch of oil through the intercoolers and probably well into the Y-pipe. Shop should be responsible for cleaning oil from the intercoolers, the Y-pipe, replacing the MAF and possibly some of the O2 sensors. You shouldn't have to chase codes for the next several months because of their incompetence. I stongly suggest removing the short hoses from the turbo compressors to the intercoolers to look for oil (I found around 3/4 of a quart of oil in that hose on the left side, none on right side). Removed intercoolers and flushed them out with soapy water. Depending on your maintenance intervals, that would be an excellent time to replace sparkplugs and coils as long as you're in there (bumper cover off, intercoolers off, etc.)
Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

The shop said they did a complete system flush, I am wondering if i should still look into the Y-Pipe and intercoolers as you advise. I see that coils might also be on their last leg if an overfill takes place? Spark plugs were just replaced, I'm am thinking I could again run a Techron fuel system cleaner to clean up deposits etc? All this has me a bit concerned, thx
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good idea, because if the Y pipe and intercoolers are loaded or contaminated that only means the MAP sensor is going to give you trouble!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by sbefar01
The shop said they did a complete system flush, I am wondering if i should still look into the Y-Pipe and intercoolers as you advise. I see that coils might also be on their last leg if an overfill takes place? Spark plugs were just replaced, I'm am thinking I could again run a Techron fuel system cleaner to clean up deposits etc? All this has me a bit concerned, thx
Ask the shop what it means by "a complete system flush". Based on what you are told this determines what your next step is.

My guess is the shop is just telling you want you want to hear.

Sorry, but I'm very pessimistic today.

My guess is the shop doesn't understand what the possible ramifications are of an oil overfill (of the severity your car was subjected to) and as such it probably didn't touch the intake system, the inter-coolers, etc.

Even if the shop does understand, that's a lot of work and the shop would probably play a wait and see game and hope that nothing untoward appears/occurs in enough time that if it does it can pass it off as some unrelated issue/problem.

I would have to think twice -- this is me now -- but I would have to think twice about having the shop that can't fill the engine with oil correctly tearing into the intake system.

Anyhow, the coils should be unaffected by the overfill. There's the slim possibility that the oiling could result in some misfires which could be interpreted as signs of bad coils, but if the misfires are short-lived and do not reappear after clearing the misfire codes and extinguishing the CEL I would attribute the misfires to 'fouled' plugs.

But the plugs are, or will be after some engine run time, probably ok, too.

The first time my Boxster's AOS failed and the final sign of this failure was the engine emitting billowing clouds of oil smoke, I went all out and had the dealer replace the plugs just in case. The next time when the AOS failed and once again the engine was emitting billowing clouds of oil smoke, I got cheap and had the dealer leave the plugs in. I drove 2K miles home and then I can't recall how many more miles I drove with those plugs in engine before they were changed. The dousing of oil they got from the AOS didn't hurt them.

In your car's case I would hazard a guess the plugs will be fine, but this is based upon the fact the intake system is cleaned and every trace of oil is removed.

Then you run a bottle of Techron through the engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-31-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fixed goofy typo...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 AM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Macster, this makes me feel so much better after reading, thx. Considering I had the dealer do a diag and they only found the diverter issue, this is encouraging. However, my friend (ASE Certified) will be cleaning the Y-Pipe tubing and running a specialized type of cleaner thru all the manifolds and intercoolers to clean up any remaining oil that the dealer would charge mega $$ to take apart and preventatively inspect, although the dealer didnt suggest this preventive approach yet. My friend will also examine the MAP and will be installing the new Agency Diverters for which he has all the specs on.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Successful install of the new Agency diverters, check engine light is gone, scan for codes was all clear after a short test drive. Manifold and hoses accessible to the top end were cleaned. I think the only hoses not cleaned were the ones only reachable from the bottom of the car. Car is running much smoother now, boost is kicking in earlier with a smoother boost curve and also reaching full boost a touch earlier. Still just a very minor amount of smoke from burnt oil, barely noticeable. I imagine there is just a touch of oil left near the intercoolers etc that will have to be burnt up. Time for Techron.
Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM
KC_Michael
Advanced

From what I've read (and seen) here, its highly likely there is still a bunch of oil in the hoses between the turbo compressors and the intercoolers. Those hoses are behind the fender liners on each side (relatively easy to access so its no big deal to pop them off and look for oil). Everytime you boost that pool of oil is blasting through the intercoolers into the Y-pipe potentially splattering on the MAF and causing havoc. That oil right next to your throttle body is the tip of the iceberg. I wouldn't let those clowns anywhere near the car ever again. Chalk it up to experience.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 AM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Im still learning, but i believe this might be the MAF? Anyways this has a drip of oil on it, it was cleaned. Hopefully it doesn't get wet again from other sources of oil in the system.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

THat is not the MAF. It is the turbo pressure (boost indication) and temperature sensor (ECU monitoring) located on the intake just before the throttle body. The MAF is located directly on the air filter housing.

Last edited by jpflip; 08-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

The MAF is located up toward the throttle body on the "Y" pipe. Since there is oil trace on the throttle plat of your throttle body, your MAF must be contaminated.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The MAF is located up toward the throttle body on the "Y" pipe. Since there is oil trace on the throttle plat of your throttle body, your MAF must be contaminated.

???? Maf is not located on the Y pipe
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

My mistake!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Based on what I see in the TB picture and the butterfly valve there is oil upstream of the TB. So all intake hoses/whatever is upstream of the TB should be cleaned of any oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

In my earlier posts on this thread, I referred to the pressure and temperature sensor (just before the throttle body) erroneously callling it the MAF. Sorry if that caused any confusion. Oil below the intercoolers from overfilling is likely blowing through the Y-pipe and splattering on the pressure and temperature sensor. I'll leave it to others on this forum with more experience to chime in whether that should be replaced in this instance.

Quick Reply: Oil Change issue-smoke/oil burn