Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Steveng04
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade

I recently purchased a 996TT and am looking at upgrading suspension and wheels I have it tuned with EVO Stage 2 and would like some feed back on suspension. Considering Bilstein PSS10, H&R RSS Club Sport or H&R Street Set-Up with Eibach Sway Bar Kit for Front and Rear. I have never driven on any setup except for stock. This is a weekend car and I am doing a little DE and plan to do more. After the suspension upgrade I will try to set up some wheels and tires. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

from personal experience, I have used JIC and JRZ, and was happy with both
PSS10s have a loyal following
KW also has a good rep
I have a good setup shop that I frequent and have discussed my goals for setup before purchasing, and have trusted his recommendations, without disapointment
don't forget swaybars and drop links(Tarrett enginering) front and rear, plus their locking plate kit
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...t01-detail.htm
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Steven,

After a long wait and looking at many many different setups and reading the feedback on what people liked and did not like I finally decided last summer to purchase the KW Clubsports. With them I installed the Porsche Motorsports adjustable sway bars and Tarett drop links.

My car is a daily driver and DE car for me - it sees all kinds of weather year round. I chose KW Clubsports for the quaility of the build (stainless shock bodies), adjustable compression and rebound, adjustable ride height, serviceable in the USA, German made and good feedback I had read from the few that had them at the time. The KW Clubsports also came with monoball mounts on them.

I did not want a slammed car - I wanted a modest drop with adjustability and a much better ride than the stock setup.

I can say I love the setup - it has somewhere in the range of 40,000 miles on it now and I have no complaints at all - it made a major difference in the way the car rides and handles and is not too harsh nor too soft. The alignment of course has a bit to do with it also.

My experience was that this setup was not the most expensive nor the cheapest but a really well built middle of the road in terms of cost. If you plan to keep the car for a long time I was choose something in the middle of the road - ancillary parts and labor will be about the same at the end and if you ever need to get the shocks rebuilt find a company who can do it locally (USA) and reputably.

Good luck!!

T2
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 176 Posts

T2, how was the ride comfort compared to the stock setup?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also did the Evoms upgrades and went with the PSS 10's after trying just RUF lowering springs which were too stiff. While the ride is stiffer than stock is is quite acceptable. Car is only used on the street, no DE's or Auto-X's any more for me. I'm very happy with these which were recommended by my Independent service provider.

John in Vancouver
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
T2, how was the ride comfort compared to the stock setup?
Better yet, ask T2 how many miles he has on his 996TT
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Bucket of Truth,

I found the ride comfort was alot better than stock - stock was too soft and squishy - the car had way too much dive and squat and roll in stock form. It is not harsh at all (which was a major concern of mine) - I had alot of conversations with KW engineering about the spring stiffness prior to purchasing and they assured me it would be fine as is and they were spot on. Good feedback from the suspension.

As to mileage...................349,000+ as of this morning on my 2003 Turbo X50.

T2
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Steveng04
6th Gear

Thank you all for the info, but I am not sure it made the decision any easier. I definitely want the stiffer ride to be nice and tight but not to the point where it may raddle the car if that is at all possible with German Engineering, if not stiff is good...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

all of the shocks listed are height and compression/rebound adjustable. What you might be worried about is the springs. I actually went through two sets on my JIC setup before I was happy - there was a misunderstanding about what I meant when I said "stiff". You will want progressive, not linear (which is what I like), with weight rating TBD
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had the setup you first mentioned installed - PSS10's with Eibach sways. It is night and day between stock. On the softest settings the ride is much more compliant than stock. The car feels more precise in every way. I debated between KWV3 also and decided to stick with PSS10's at the advice of my mechanic. If you track a lot the KW's would be the way to go, for mainly street and occasional track the PSS10's will give you a great ride. The KW's also, at their highest setting was a little too low for me as I use my car all winter.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 123 Posts

I installed PSS10's, Eiback sway bars, rear toe adjusters, front GT3 lower control arms (for camber). Night and day difference from stock suspension. Set fairly soft for street use (3 front, 4 rear) and fairly stiff for track use (9 front, 10 rear) and they feel great. Highly recommended.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Steveng04
6th Gear

Kudos to T2 with some serious mileage.

T2 why did you go with KW Clubsport and not KW Variant 3?

Has anyone used H & R adjustable sway bars.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steven,

I called and talked with KW Engineering about the two kits - thier recommendation (as long as price was not a major decision point) was to go with the Clubsports for what I was looking for. Cannot say enough good things about the kit. KW was a prime leader in my selection due to adjustable compression and damping, stainless bodies (my car sees bad winter weather driving), German engineering, US rebuilds, technical support was easy to get in touch with and discuss the application. In a nutshell they made the Clubsports sound more robust in build and engineering and I wanted something that could stand the test of time.

Good luck with the selection.

T2
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
Steven,

I called and talked with KW Engineering about the two kits - thier recommendation (as long as price was not a major decision point) was to go with the Clubsports for what I was looking for. Cannot say enough good things about the kit. KW was a prime leader in my selection due to adjustable compression and damping, stainless bodies (my car sees bad winter weather driving), German engineering, US rebuilds, technical support was easy to get in touch with and discuss the application. In a nutshell they made the Clubsports sound more robust in build and engineering and I wanted something that could stand the test of time.

Good luck with the selection.

T2
The club sports are a great kit even though they use some bizarre spring rates, 400ish in the front and like 1085 in the rear. Guess it works though......
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Steveng04
6th Gear

I decided on the KW Variant 3 with H&R Sway Bars. I will let you know once I receive and do the install, should be by early next week.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade