Sponsored by:

i love my First Porsche but OMG What is That NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
MissManual
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy i love my First Porsche but OMG What is That NOISE

03 Turbo X50 6 speed in Carrara white, all brown leather interior, under 26K. It took forever to find the right color combination, mileage and overall condition. Paid close to what dealers would sell at retail but I got exactly what I wanted and what a fast car. I absolutely LOVE the torque and acceleration. I'm a high torque kinda girl and wish more women in their late 20s-early 30s appreciate this kind of performance.

Omigahd the sensation of shifting from 5500rpm 2nd to 3rd. Then 6000rpm 3rd to 4th. Jeezus. Wow. It scared my dad and my friends had their eyes closed.

But.... this deafening noise, what is it? It's embarrassing as it can be heard upto 40ft away.

Did some research and it could be one of the two (so far):

- serpentine belt tensioner which I can purchase for under $200
OR
- a problem Porsche knows about that led to TSB 4897 where I have to replace the complete power steering reservoir (not just the lid)

http://youtu.be/jNmppG1Bg3A - the noise

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...9&d=1323638169 - TSB 4897

I'd appreciate if you veterans can shed some light coz I feel kinda restless with this thing looming.

I live in the Claremont Hills area in SF Bay. Do you know any good mechanics?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
MissManual
Track Day

Also my husband (he's more into gadgets and video games than cars) said that it might be the radio. I don't know but wish that was case so it's a cheaper fix and not sacrifice the integrity of the mechanical parts.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
MissManual
Track Day

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oJj1FckW-W...0/IMG_1977.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xkr_0nFEI2...0/IMG_1969.JPG
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Sounds like a pully. Take the serpentine belt off and check them all by just spinning them. That noise isn't normal.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First welcome and great looking car. It will be nice to have a female POV on the board. Does it only do this when hot? If so, the referenced TSB would be my guess. Mine certainly doesn't sound like that.

Someone here probably knows exactly what it is, but I haven't run across that one. That said its hard to diagnose over the www so now would be a good time to find a good Indy unless you are also a good wrench and don't mind trial and error.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it vary with engine speed? Agree it sounds more like a pulley or other belt driven item, and NOT like the PS valve.

Welcome.

A
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Aerodude
Track Day

If it goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, then it's probably the power steering fluid reservoir.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MissManual
03 Turbo X50 6 speed in Carrara white, all brown leather interior, under 26K. It took forever to find the right color combination, mileage and overall condition. Paid close to what dealers would sell at retail but I got exactly what I wanted and what a fast car. I absolutely LOVE the torque and acceleration. I'm a high torque kinda girl and wish more women in their late 20s-early 30s appreciate this kind of performance.

Omigahd the sensation of shifting from 5500rpm 2nd to 3rd. Then 6000rpm 3rd to 4th. Jeezus. Wow. It scared my dad and my friends had their eyes closed.

But.... this deafening noise, what is it? It's embarrassing as it can be heard upto 40ft away.

Did some research and it could be one of the two (so far):

- serpentine belt tensioner which I can purchase for under $200
OR
- a problem Porsche knows about that led to TSB 4897 where I have to replace the complete power steering reservoir (not just the lid)

http://youtu.be/jNmppG1Bg3A - the noise

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...9&d=1323638169 - TSB 4897

I'd appreciate if you veterans can shed some light coz I feel kinda restless with this thing looming.

I live in the Claremont Hills area in SF Bay. Do you know any good mechanics?
If a manual car and if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch the odds are very high a valve in the power hydraulic circuit in the power steering fluid reservior is making the noise.

My 03 Turbo makes a high pitched whistling noise but only when the fluid is real warm and even then the noise is not nearly that loud.

I can 'stop' the noise -- until next time -- by simply depressing the clutch pedal fully then releasing it.

The noise doesn't sound anything like my car made when a serpentine belt idler roller bearing was going bad but maybe in your car's case the bearing is futher along in its life to its final end?

No matter.

My advice is get the car to a pro and my advice would be to take the car to Rector Porsche in Burlingame with which I have done some business with, service business with my Porsches.

There is a dealer in the north bay -- the name of the dealer escapes my memory -- but I have never used that dealer.

I have used the dealer in Walnut Creek and Livemore, too. Both are ok in my book.

I have not used any indy shops and therefore have no direct experience.

I would not delay in getting this taken care of. If the noise comes from the valve it sounds like horrible damage is happening, even though a tech at Livermore told me that no real harm comes from this valve behavior, it is a NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) (driver/passenger comfort/enjoyment related) problem.

Open the front trunk lid and check for any fluid stain on top of the plastic cover/panel on the driver's side of the car. Any fuid is a sign the clutch slave cylinder is bad. Assuming the car's a manual, of course.

If the noise is coming from a dying idler rolller bearing or anything related to the accessory drive system there's a risk of bearing seizure and belt failure and this belt turns the water pump. The engine will lkely continue to run but with no water pumping action, the engine will overheat before you know it -- no coolant is being pumped past the coolant temp sensor so the rise in coolant temp is very local and very dramatic and can be very harmful to the engine in very short order.

Lastly the noise is quite a bit louder than my experience which is limited -- to my car -- but this loudness suggests something is demanding immediate attention so do not delay.

No matter how many right guesses you get here someone has to put his hands on the car and fix the problem and the sooner the better is my preference.

BTW, nice looking car. I like very much the exterior/interior color combo. Not the usual silver and black (my car).

These cars are awesome and you'll love your car to death like we all do.

Added: Forgot to mention. If the power steering reservoir valve is bad the valve is not sold separately, but comes as part of the new reservoir. I was quoted around $1000 but I was assured it was a very nice reservoir. Oh that makes me feel better, Not!

Labor to replace the bad valve is not much. Join PCA and many dealers give a discount on parts and sometimes a break on labor too to PCA club members and you can save some money.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 06-29-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

Beautiful color combo..............just like my Carrera S. Interior is cooler in the warmer months for sure.

I have no idea regarding the noise, but if it is an idler bearing, I just replaced both deflection rollers and a new Poly-rip V-belt on my 996 Turbo for around $700.00.

Good luck with the fix. Macster is right. Get it to a pro sooner than later. This forum is a good starting point for information but ................
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Don't drive the car again w/out checking the pulleys. It will take you 30 min or so to do this and that includes getting the few tools needed and putting them up and washing your hands before closing your decklid.

Something is about to break, you don't want that at 6K in 3rd gear.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a loud screaming sound that goes away when you push in the clutch it's the PS. If it is an rpm related noise that gets drowned out once the exhaust noise becomes loud enough from higher rpm's , then it is probably the belt tensioner. If you suspect the belt tensioner, you will have to remove the airbox to make sure because the tensioner is to the left and slightly below the PS unit. My tech misdiagognosed this because he didn't remove the airbox.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM
MissManual
Track Day

Thank you all very much. You guys are epic. The color combination I find very elegant without looking too "flashy". She has a powerful presence without being an attention *****. I think that goes for all Turbos.

About the noise...I am a super virgin NOOOOB with no experience when it comes to tinkering with cars. I don't have the slightest clue on how to check, remove, or even determine where that pulley is. As for the clutch, I actually had the slave cylinder replaced based on recommendation.

Yes - I notice that disturbing noise only when in town, in between stop lights going no more than 30mph.

Yes - It seems the noise is triggered by slight warmth/heat as it only occurs in the daytime (avg temp where I live is 70deg day. gorgeous weather really) I haven't noticed it yet at night.

Nope - Nothing really happens when I depress the clutch. The intensity of the noise is reduced very very slightly for about half a second but back to normal. Noise doesn't go away at all.

The noise doesn't emerge upon start but after 20-30min of driving in daytime.

Since no one in our household is handy, do you guys think hiring the mobile car mechanics on craigslist is a good first step for basic diagnosis of the pulley, bearing and all the stuff you guys have suggested? It's such an awesome car to drive and this damn noise retards my enjoyment.

Thanks again for the tips. I don't want to look like a total tool when I get the car checked and repaired.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

a stunning example. great color combo.

don't take your car to anyone that doesn't have experience specifically with these cars. too many particulars to these that less experienced techs won't know or in terms of diagnosis and troubleshooting.

if you don't have a reputable indie mechanic, pay the porche tax and go to a pcar dealership for repairs. until you find a good indie. don't let someone learn on your car. dealerships are expensive but will usually fix stuff properly. especially if stock.

craigslist is for used bikes, not porsche turbo techs! good luck, and congrats.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Don't sell yourself short. Your research and knowledge of what you've discovered is the first step to doing certain maintenance on your car. I think you have more then enough ability to do some of this stuff.

No, do not call any Craig's list machenic for nothing on this car! If you feel comfortable in driving it to a Porsche Dealer then do it the next time you drive it. I wouldn't drive it again just to feel the thrill w/out getting it to a dealer.

Good luck and keep reading everything you can find on your car. The more you know the more you'll enjoy the car.

GL, let us know what it is.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"craigslist is for used bikes, not porsche turbo techs!"
^^^^^
What he said!

Join your local Porsche Club chapter and find out what shops are recommended from others in your area. Sweet looking car; enjoy!

Last edited by Renn 951; 06-29-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: i love my First Porsche but OMG What is That NOISE