Sponsored by:

i love my First Porsche but OMG What is That NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MissManual
Thank you all very much. You guys are epic. The color combination I find very elegant without looking too "flashy". She has a powerful presence without being an attention *****. I think that goes for all Turbos.

About the noise...I am a super virgin NOOOOB with no experience when it comes to tinkering with cars. I don't have the slightest clue on how to check, remove, or even determine where that pulley is. As for the clutch, I actually had the slave cylinder replaced based on recommendation.

Yes - I notice that disturbing noise only when in town, in between stop lights going no more than 30mph.

Yes - It seems the noise is triggered by slight warmth/heat as it only occurs in the daytime (avg temp where I live is 70deg day. gorgeous weather really) I haven't noticed it yet at night.

Nope - Nothing really happens when I depress the clutch. The intensity of the noise is reduced very very slightly for about half a second but back to normal. Noise doesn't go away at all.

The noise doesn't emerge upon start but after 20-30min of driving in daytime.

Since no one in our household is handy, do you guys think hiring the mobile car mechanics on craigslist is a good first step for basic diagnosis of the pulley, bearing and all the stuff you guys have suggested? It's such an awesome car to drive and this damn noise retards my enjoyment.

Thanks again for the tips. I don't want to look like a total tool when I get the car checked and repaired.
Congrats!

One thing I would never do is to use mechanics from Craigslist on P-cars,you can use them for a Kia Rio or something...
Just do a really good search for shops in your area. Some of them are well reviewed and have worked on high end European cars. You can even use the dealer for a diagnostic,they might quote you a decent price.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

as far as a good indie mechanic is concerned. it seems you may be close to sharkwerks in fremont. one of the premier tuner/shops for these cars. it's off the 880. if i were you, i'd take my car there even if it had to be towed.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't ever compromise on your TT. Get it to a reliable Porsche shop, not necessaarily a dealer, but a good Porsche tech that has been around awhile and has a good rep! You have to realize you bought a car that was somewhere in the 130K range when new. Porsches are not your everyday normal vehicle from a mechanics point of view! Most mechnaics that never worked on a Porsche don't even know how to change the TT P cars oil.

BTW you have to expect to pay more than what you pay on a Honda to keep this car in top running condition! if the work is done below par, this car can cost you really big bucks!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's another reason to read everything you can on your car. You will want to know and understand what is wrong and what you're paying for.
Plus I still think you have it in you to tinker w/ some of the simple stuff. Seriously, the pride and accomplishment you'll feel by doing some things on your car will make you feel great! And make your Porsche Turbo experience that much more exciting.

No 1 will take care of your car more so then you. And honestly you can't expect them to. So find out all you can about it so you're in position to take the best care of it possible. Well that's just my opinion anyway.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

i think its terminal. the best thing to do is sell the car to me!! i have been searching for that color combo for months now!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to Sharkwerks. They are close enough to you. Beautiful car!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a very similar noise and it turned out to be the belt tensioner pulley. $120 dollars and 30-45 mins later, the noise was gone. Easy way to check out is remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise is still there.

Enrique
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All this said, this is arguably the most reliable high performance car on the market. Get this fixed and then drive it like you stole it. Just stay on top of the maintenance and it will last a long time.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 PM
MissManual
Track Day

Ok Ok fine, I won't ring the CL mobile mechanics. Sheesh I was only thinking of having them remove and "feel-out" the pulleys to see if that could be the culprit. I don't mind paying a premium for high quality repairs. My fear more than anything are costs associated with misdiagnosis while the core problem still lingers on.

Good point...The Swan sold for around $140K new w X50 upgrade and will sure be alien to most mechanics. There are tons of P-cars in the Bay Area but the ratio is like 75 carrera tiptronic cabs for every TT.

Truth is, I pamper The Swan to the point where it seems like I'm having a lesbionic affair (feminine ones tyvm) with her. I would drive 40 miles to fill her up with a mixture of 93.5 and 100 octane gas.

I also handwash, dry and wax her myself. I went back to the garage to familiarize myself with Swans rear and insides. Still quite naive, I find diving right in there a bit too intimidating. A paid mentor would be awesome to have.

Funny you guys mention Sharwerks. I visited his site a month ago to read more about the ECU upgrades. But that's another topic I'm sure.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you got water inside the belt tensioner pulley
( like I did when cleaning her) that's how my belt tensioner pulley went bad. Maybe I can help if you are local... I'm locater in Saratoga area.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

It's still just a car. I say that as in if a man put it together another man can too. Some simple upgrades to get your hands dirty would be to upgrade that paper filter to a BMC filter. The air flow would be enough w/ the stock intake to well over 600 HP. Very simple but rewarding to do. Plus you can clean it, re-oil it and re-use it over & over.

Anything you want to do to your car has a thread & or a you tube video that will give you a tool list and step by step instruction.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
If you got water inside the belt tensioner pulley
( like I did when cleaning her) that's how my belt tensioner pulley went bad. Maybe I can help if you are local... I'm locater in Saratoga area.
Take him up on it, he knows his stuff!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i think i speak for all of us, when i say we'd like to watch you wash your car. just kidding. you've had more help in one thread than any i've seen lately. must be a "chick with a white turbo!!" thing. lol.

being so close to sharkwerks you shouldn't have a need to go anywhere else. they can handle any routine stuff and will help you customize any upgrades you may decide upon. choosing aftermarket stuff is part of the joy of ownership. sounds like you'll fit right in. esp having owned pcars before.

as you learn the car, you've got plenty of power to begin with. how long that'll last for you, is anyone's guess. as far as mods/upgrades ( eg power and suspension ) there's so much you can do to the car to make it "yours", it's nuts.

that is one seriously clean 996t. to see mine like that i gotta look at pics! again, congrats!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
It's still just a car. I say that as in if a man put it together another man can too. Some simple upgrades to get your hands dirty would be to upgrade that paper filter to a BMC filter. The air flow would be enough w/ the stock intake to well over 600 HP. Very simple but rewarding to do. Plus you can clean it, re-oil it and re-use it over & over.

Anything you want to do to your car has a thread & or a you tube video that will give you a tool list and step by step instruction.
I would stick with the stock paper filter,but that's just me...
Oily filters like BMC and K&N don't bring that much of an advantage,but they sure can get you to change your MAF sooner rather than later. Or,if you decide to go with either of the 2,just take the MAF out and clean it using MAF cleaner every time you re-oil the filter.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Hogapalooza
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neanicu
I would stick with the stock paper filter,but that's just me...
Oily filters like BMC and K&N don't bring that much of an advantage,but they sure can get you to change your MAF sooner rather than later. Or,if you decide to go with either of the 2,just take the MAF out and clean it using MAF cleaner every time you re-oil the filter.
18+K on my car after the BMC filter for me. No telling how many miles on the same MAF before that? If you know how to clean and re-oil them... Well maybe it's just me not having the problem?

Quick Reply: i love my First Porsche but OMG What is That NOISE