Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! At track and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012 | 09:55 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default Help! At track and need advice

I am at Watkins glen for the next three days and I lost third gear today. I was downshifting to 3rd and suddenly it was like I put the car in neutral. No grinding or noise, just no gear. All other gears work fine. I pulled the center console to see if I could see anything wrong with the linkages, but no luck.

I know I need to find a good mechanic, but tomorrow is Sunday and I really want to know if it's k to drive the car? I drove into the pits and outside of missing 3rd, if is completely normal. I also know that with my power levels I can drive without third fine. What I need to know is if I am going to do more damage by driving at the track over the next three days.

Please help me make this decision.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2012 | 10:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Most likely you scattered third gear. All the metal from the gear set is floating at the bottom of the gearcase. The risk is getting the metal fragments into adjacent gearsets. Worse if it migrates to your ring and pinion. You are looking at some serious dollars right now. Trashing more gearsets and R&P will require more $$$. I'd flatbed or get someone to trailer the car home.
Old 06-17-2012 | 09:45 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Id be pretty upset if I found out that someone I was tracking with went out with a blown gear, plus who knows what else may be wrong with it.

Right now your 3rd is cooked. You risk toasting the entire car if you go out again, plus potentially risking those around you. Not worth it just to get a few laps in.

Dont even drive it home. Flatbed it.
Old 06-19-2012 | 04:35 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Id be pretty upset if I found out that someone I was tracking with went out with a blown gear, plus who knows what else may be wrong with it.

Right now your 3rd is cooked. You risk toasting the entire car if you go out again, plus potentially risking those around you. Not worth it just to get a few laps in.

Dont even drive it home. Flatbed it.
+1^ I crunched 3rd gear - same - felt like neutral and all the other gears worked fine and no noise otherwise, called Rodger @ Orbit and luckly his shop is minutes from the track. Don't drive it, risk of more damage, I went back with straight cut 3rd gear, stronger plus sounds like a cup car now. Talk to Matt with GT Gears on the forum.
Old 06-20-2012 | 07:40 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

I love how you made 3rd gear destruction sound like a good thing!!

Quick Reply: Help! At track and need advice