Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TT Ticking Noise...intermediate shaft problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 TT Ticking Noise...intermediate shaft problem?

I have a 2004 TT Cab with 29K miles on it. The motor has been noisy since I have owned it (since 14K miles), but the noise has gotten a bit more noticeable as of late. I have heard a u-tube video of a 2004TT making the same noise, and it was said it is likely the intermediate shaft but that it should not be a problem in a 2004 model year (corrected that year). I have also read that 5W-40 oil can reduce the noise. I have an MP3 file that I recorded with my phone, but this site will not let me upload and MP3. It is not too great, but I think gets the point across if anyone wants me to email it to them. Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

The engines on the 996 Turbo and Turbo S, use the motorcase of the Porsche GT-1. The turbos did not share this "intermediate shaft bearing" problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Does it tick in neutral?

Increasing frequency with rpm?

When you're in reverse?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM
fappds
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

normal sounds for these engines dont worry

Last edited by fappds; 05-23-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: found out it was normal
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil can help, but the ticking never completely goes away. It's normal. These engines are noisy. There is nothing you can do to make it sound like a Lexus.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
The engines on the 996 Turbo and Turbo S, use the motorcase of the Porsche GT-1. The turbos did not share this "intermediate shaft bearing" problem.
Could be a failure of the IMS itself. There's a key that backs out, noise gets a lot worse.

I'd switch oils, and inspect the oil filter for metal. If you see no or very little metal pieces (very small), you're likely OK.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchW
I have a 2004 TT Cab with 29K miles on it. The motor has been noisy since I have owned it (since 14K miles), but the noise has gotten a bit more noticeable as of late. I have heard a u-tube video of a 2004TT making the same noise, and it was said it is likely the intermediate shaft but that it should not be a problem in a 2004 model year (corrected that year). I have also read that 5W-40 oil can reduce the noise. I have an MP3 file that I recorded with my phone, but this site will not let me upload and MP3. It is not too great, but I think gets the point across if anyone wants me to email it to them. Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks
The intermediate shaft is one of the weak points of this motor and is somewhat prone to failure. The bearings can wear or the woodruf keys that hold the sprocket on the shaft can round and get loose causing the gear to wobble. Although not real common, it has happened on a number of motors. I have heard of examples with as little as 25,000 miles and I think there have been some that failed at very low milage. When it does begin to fail, it will get a little louder. When it starts getting really worn, you will know something is very wrong, as it will get much louder and take on a character more like moderate hammering - to the point you will know it's just not right. If you think you have it that bad, have it listened to by a mechanic. A good tech should know when something is wrong. Unfortunately, this gives way to a few checks like chain tensioner failure, followed by removing and opening up the motor.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
MitchW
Advanced

I did a recent oil change and all was clear in terms of metal bits. I was reading through all the responses and feeling good until that last response. I'm thinking about having someone see it, although I'm afraid, as noted in the response, that it will lead to all kinds of unnecessary tests to see if something is wrong. The problem is I'm in a town where there are just not many of these cars, so I'm afraid the mechanics here will not know what is going on just by the sound. I anyone here familiar with Pat Williams of Pat Williams racing in Memphis? He has a shop here that does routine maintenance of 911's and probably has the most experience with these cars.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
The intermediate shaft is one of the weak points of this motor and is somewhat prone to failure. The bearings can wear or the woodruf keys that hold the sprocket on the shaft can round and get loose causing the gear to wobble. Although not real common.
Just curious where do you get the data to suggest the IS is a weak point and "prone to failure"?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks
Noises are hard to derive any real meaning from unless the noises are so obviously from a sick engine that about all one can do is say that's one sick engine.

If you want private email me and I'll respond with my email address and you can send me the file and I'll see if I can listen to it and offer my layman's opinion.

Not sure how switching from a 0W-40 to a 5W-40 oil is going to help much. They both have the same viscosity when hot and the difference between 0w and 5w is slight coming into play at very low (the W means 32F) temps.

However, you can certainly move to a 5w-40 oil (I would of course strongly urge to you to stick with one of the Porsche approved oils.)

You can even use Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (not a typo for 15w-50) though I have used this oil in both of my Porsches (02 Boxster and 03 Turbo) and I can't tell from the engine sounds which oil is in the engine.

What I do notice is that after an oil/filter service the engine is quieter which arises from the fresh oil being more viscous. As the engine runs the oil becomes contaminated with unburned gas and water. Not all of this boils out and is removed with the crankcase fumes so as these liguids build up the oil becomes thinner.

Might add that I always change or have changed the oil/filter in my cars' engines at 5K miles.

Really, though, you need someone local to you and an expert on these cars and specifically the Turbo to listen and make some call.

IC reciprocating engines are noisy on a good day and to the inexperienced or simply someone with a bit of anxiety from reading/hearing about all the horrible things that can happen normal engine noises can sound like pending doom.

If you haven't already, join PCA and attend a get together. There I'm sure you will meet many Porsche owners and someone can possibly give the engine a listen -- all you have to do is ask -- and advise you.

Still, before you do anything to the engine you need a pro's input.

My WAG is the noise is normal but what I said about getting a tech's input still goes.

Oh, is the car a Tip or manual? If a manual what can happen -- my 03 Turbo exhibits this -- is when the car/engine/drivetrain are hot up to operating temp hot with the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal released a light knocking sound comes from the engine area. I can make this noise go away for a while simply by depressing the clutch pedal then releasing it.

The noise comes from the clutch disc rattling a bit on the transmission input shaft splines or one or more gear sets in the tranny rattling. The noise can sound like it is coming from the engine and can be rather loud and appear to track engine rpms as long as the engine is left idling. However, if one listens long enough the noise has a come and go quality to it which is generally a sign the engine is not the source of a noise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Just curious where do you get the data to suggest the IS is a weak point and "prone to failure"?
Hi William,

It's based on direct experience and from being involved with these cars for 10 years, nothing scientific - there are many reports of the intermediate shaft failing on the 996TT. I had it happen on my car, the woodruf key rounded causing the gear to wobble. I then learned that this has happened on many other cars. My motor had approx. 100,000 miles when this occurred and the entire motor internals were perfect and virtually "like new" with the exception of the IMS woodruf key. We did not have to replace a single part other than the IMS, but I chose to do all the bearings, all seals, the chain and chain tensioners. Based on this experience, I consider it a "weak design point" in the motor and since I learned of many others having had the same experience, I consider it "prone to failure". It's one of the few internal parts of the motor that "tend to fail". The motor is pretty stoudt, but this is a weak spot. I believe Porsche has done away with it in the new motors, probably for this reason.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are just talking about the light ticking noise at idle, then seriously, stop worrying. Every one of these cars does it to some degree. Type and age of oil can cause it to vary a bit, but unless the noise is getting worse or there is a new noise there is really nothing to worry about.

If you take it to a mechanic and tell them you think something is wrong, there is a good chance they will make it their business to find something wrong so you can feel good about yourself.

Macster's advice about finding some other owners to listen and compare to their cars is good. My wife is still not convinced that my car isn't defective, but I have learned I actually have one of the quieter tt's. I just had it in for its 60k service and the mechanic commented it was one of the quietest 996 tts he had heard. It's still the noisiest non-diesel vehicle I have owned.

Your car is to enjoy. Not stress over.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

I have heard a u-tube video of a 2004TT making the same noise
Post up the video.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Here is the URL of the video...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...shaft-failure/
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds normal to me!

Quick Reply: 2004 TT Ticking Noise...intermediate shaft problem?