996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've been a bad boy with my Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012 | 04:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default I've been a bad boy with my Turbo...

Unintentionally though.

I had the car in for some service the other day and afterwards I was thinking about spark plugs. (In hindsight I wished I had thought about them while the car was in for service.)

Monday I was off and was at the dealer service department and asked for when I had the plugs changed in the Turbo.

Service manager looked up my car's service records and informed me I had the car in for plugs at 29.9K miles (I forget the date though) and the car now has just over 90.4K miles.

I spoke with the techs and got an updated service schedule and the plugs of the 03 Turbo (all 996 Turbos I think and not just the 03's) are due to be changed at ....24K miles! The newer 997 Turbo engine plugs are due to be changed at 40K miles.

So, the car has 60K miles on the set of plugs. Like I said I've been a bad boy... Time to get the car for plugs.

Tech said he'll inspect the coils and advise me on their condition. I will tell him to replace any he deems in need of replacement. He said at least in this area these coils hold up real well.

Said he'd use some special (dielectric) grease to help seal them against the elements. The engine has misfired twice now after being left outside overnight during periods of heavy rain and the tech said this application of grease would eliminate misfires from that source.

A bad boy seeking to redeem himself.

Oh, a shout out to Alex at Sharkwerks. A tech at the Livermore Porsche dealer said you had some info/good things to say about using Denso plugs?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2012 | 05:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Macster,
I'm surprised you had to mention something about your plugs. They usually will tell you that the plugs are due or any other maintenance item,since that means more money for them.
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:34 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Very 'Honda-like' of you.
Old 05-01-2012 | 07:03 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Post pics of the plug's electrodes when they come out. Hopefully none are seized. Mine goes in for plugs in about 3-4 weeks. 30K is the interval for the 993 Turbo IIRC.
Old 05-01-2012 | 07:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Macster,
I'm surprised you had to mention something about your plugs. They usually will tell you that the plugs are due or any other maintenance item,since that means more money for them.
Shameful and it is my own fault.

Since I do not follow the 15K/30K/45K or is it 12K/24K/36K/etc schedule which if I did would have had these taken care of 'on time', it is my responsibility to note when things are due and I screwed up.

One of the techs printed out the most recent schedule from the factory web site (I was told only accessible by authorized techs) and gave me a copy, which I shall tape to the dash of the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2012 | 07:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Very 'Honda-like' of you.
Ouch!
Old 05-01-2012 | 08:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Post pics of the plug's electrodes when they come out. Hopefully none are seized. Mine goes in for plugs in about 3-4 weeks. 30K is the interval for the 993 Turbo IIRC.
The 1st plug change as I mentioned occurred at almost 30K miles in IIRC late March/early April 2010. By then the plugs had been in the engine since it was built -- before I bought the car I called around and developed a good record of the car's servicing and while oil/filter and brake fluid flushes were at reasonable intervals there was no record of any plugs being changed -- and that makes it around 10 years.

The tech told me he encountered no problems at all removing the original plugs and they looked pretty good too -- I think I have them around in my office somewhere...

Yes, I think I found the set: I found an old set of Beru Ultra F6 219 plugs with the two ground electrodes. I know these are not from my Boxster for there's another old set of plugs with the 4 grounds and a very eroded center electrode which I remember noting how eroded the center electrode was when the tech gave me the old plugs from the Boxster.

Anyhow, I was going to wait and have the plugs changed when on a road trip coming up soon, after about a 2K mile drive (I was going to give the Springfield MO Porsche dealer the plug job to save some money) but I looked up the price and I think the plug job cost me under $500 and I doubt I'd save much of that. Besides I think I would prefer to have the plugs changed *before* I head out in case there's a problem. Bad enough to have a car develop a problem just 2 miles from the house, let along 2K miles.

So I'm sending an email to the SM to let me know when I can bring the car in for a plug change.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:03 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Get em done, and you'll be fine !
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:09 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Mumbles,

Is this you? Enjoy

Sorry Macster, it was irresistible

Last edited by Letmebegus; 05-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Shame on you Macster. Ship me you car immediately and I will give it a good caring home.
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, Evin at UMW has posted good recommendations for plugs and coils for the 996 Turbo.
Old 05-02-2012 | 10:49 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
Mumbles,

Is this you? Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mND3geEBEV4

Sorry Macster, it was irresistible
Whatcha tell yer to keep off the booz letmebegus.....p.s. I bought the car !
Old 05-02-2012 | 11:06 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Here let me educate you

Swansea, Mumbles and Gower

< Back to Holidays in South Wales

This area has a multitude of attractions all within close proximity to the city of Swansea which is itself a 5 minute walk from the seafront. Swansea Bay inhabits a 5 mile stretch of the sea front and includes a Marina and the villages of Oystermouth and Mumbles, where you have a Victorian Pier and some very famous ice cream parlours.Further on around the coast is the beautiful Gower peninsula well known with its beautiful beaches and countryside as an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Get em done, and you'll be fine !
Spoke with service manager this AM. The dealer is booked solid with work but he thinks he has a time slot Friday. I'll bring the car by Thursday so it will be dead cold Friday AM and the tech can start on it right away.

I could just kick myself for not realizing the plugs needed doing when I had the car in just a week ago for oil/filter, tranny/diff fluid change, and alignment.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Hopefully there won't be any problems getting the plugs to come out.

Yea, I'm surprised they didn't mention them when servicing the car ?

Wondering if you will notice the difference in engine response with new plugs ?

Quick Reply: I've been a bad boy with my Turbo...