Sponsored by:

2001 or 2002 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 AM
orcubsfan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 or 2002 996 TT

It looks like my pocketbook and what I got out of selling my Cayman S will put me into either a 2001 or 2002 996TT.

Any advise on one year being more problematic than the other or are the usual suspect problems the same for both years?

Thanks again for all who have helped me in my search.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No difference in the standard minor problems, The 2002 did have its structure rigidity increased by 25% to provide better handling. The 2002 also got a glove box and dash retractable cup holder along with a few more available options.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There was a TSB for the 2001 996 Turbos regarding a check valve on a turbocharger oil line.
IIRC, the updated part has a blue dot.

Early 2001's also came with front bumperettes (aka "warts") and/or solid spoke wheels.
The former was due to a stupid US DOT requirement (which was thankfully changed/reinterpreted) and the latter was simply due to vendor supply.

I prefer the 2001 since a glovebox adds unnecessary weight
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
No difference in the standard minor problems, The 2002 did have its structure rigidity increased by 25% to provide better handling. The 2002 also got a glove box and dash retractable cup holder along with a few more available options.
I thought this theory has been de bunked? The structural rigidity happened in 02 for the non turbo. Basically, 996.2 lights = stiffer chassis.

I'd buy the nicer example of the two.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I thought this theory has been de bunked?
That's what I thought. Didn't someone here run the chassis part numbers between the '01 and '02 and find them to the same?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Back a few yeares looking into it certain individual parts that make up the chassis are different PN's , the whole chassis number is the same. I was told if you replace the chassis you get the updated version.
Also, Excellence magazine last month has an article on the 996tt and also states the 25% structual increase in rigidity. Since i did found the individual parts of certain chassis parts betweeen the model years I feel it supports the rigidity claim. It would not surprise me that due to inventory that all the parts since body style is interchangeable will be reduced to one part number between the two, which would indicate that the 2002 and up parts can be used for the 01. So i guess if you mess up the chassis the on the 01 you would get the higher level parts for replacment.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orcubsfan
It looks like my pocketbook and what I got out of selling my Cayman S will put me into either a 2001 or 2002 996TT.

Any advise on one year being more problematic than the other or are the usual suspect problems the same for both years?

Thanks again for all who have helped me in my search.

Bill
Hey Bill, Im a long time lurker and first time poster. I just got my 2k1 996tt a month ago and ran into the same questions. The differences between the two years are a glove box and optional x50 package on the 2002 . The x50 tends to command a premium over the regular tune. I got the 2001 because it was the best available, well maintained low mileage 996tt i could find. If i was in your position, I would find the best maintained, newest, lowest mileage car you can find regardless of year with the trim options you want. Plenty of selection out there, you just have to find it and be patient. I searched 6 months for mine and do not regret a thing.

The only problems mine had were remedied by the previous owner. Most of the problems were due to the car sitting for long periods. It needed a new clutch/slave accumulator, and new tires but thats about it. Whatever you find, get a good PPI to make sure you know what else you are dealing with. The engine is bulletproof when maintained properly, so good records are a must. You wont find hardly any problems with the drivetrain. Most problems tend to come from the electronics like nav and window regulators.

Good luck, you will love the tt
paul
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Originally Posted by pnamueller
Most of the problems were due to the car sitting for long periods. It needed a new clutch/slave accumulator, and new tires
Which could be a reason not to be too infatuated with low miles.
Cars that get regular use - can get regular attention, regular maintenance, and regular repairs made.
The few examples of cars that I have seen on here with "high" mileage seem to run quite well without strange issues.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Back a few yeares looking into it certain individual parts that make up the chassis are different PN's , the whole chassis number is the same. I was told if you replace the chassis you get the updated version.
Also, Excellence magazine last month has an article on the 996tt and also states the 25% structual increase in rigidity.
According to a friend at PCNA it was just your typical lack of proof reading by PAG. The literature put out by PAG at the time just simply wasn't written accurately and everyone pounced on a "change" that didn't apply to the Turbo. The increased stiffness that the 996 Turbo (all MYs) always had was just applied to the 996 starting in '02.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Actually there is a structural change between the two model years. Porsche had to weld tubing for bracing behind the "B" pillar and the seat belt retractor mount. It has to do with a side impact area. I have verified it myself. If you welded in the 4" piece of tubing, and the metal strap, you would have a 2002 chassis..
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Which explains the pn differences.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Brenton
Advanced

the millon dollar question
Can you feel the diferance???

Quick Reply: 2001 or 2002 996 TT