Sponsored by:

CAT Question???????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT Question???????????????

I am in debate on changing my RUF exhaust out....I believe I have 100 cell and companies like gmg and fabspeed sell 200 cell....I am being told that 200 cell actually has more flow..based on the "pins" needed to brace and hold the 100 cell together cause more resistance or blocking....thus the 200 flows better...any one conccur?

only reason i wanted 100 cell was cause im sure RUF probably tuned exhaust to that..so if i put 200 in maybe less performance???? or does it really effin matter? all im after is turbo spool sound, looks, and aggresive loud as i can without a cel or loss in performance.

thanks guys
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been conditioned to believe cats come in two flavors: "100 cel" and "200 cell".

In actual fact, there is much more to it than that...the quality of the cats- materials, construction- define the value.

When someone starts telling me 'flows better', my BS meter pegs- and I ask "great, what is the back pressure?" or "how much different flow"?

With cheaper cats some cars have emissions issues and need more care with tuning to get the cats hotter/faster...

I'm no expert, but was surprised at the differences- in performance AND in costs

A
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I have two RUF exhaust systems cut apart. It is basically a modded stock system. All the piping is stock, just rerouted. The secondary cats have been removed. The internal mufflers still have the end plugs in place (restrictive). From my cell count the cats are 200 cell. The benchmark for a exhaust system is a 5" diameter 100 cell cat > it will flow more than a 5" diameter 200 cell cat. It is the diameter that sets a system over the next. Also, the water gets muddy when someone says, my exhaust is 100 cells (4' diameter) and there exhaust piping is 62mm (stock BTW).
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I have two RUF exhaust systems cut apart. It is basically a modded stock system. All the piping is stock, just rerouted. The secondary cats have been removed. The internal mufflers still have the end plugs in place (restrictive). From my cell count the cats are 200 cell. The benchmark for a exhaust system is a 5" diameter 100 cell cat > it will flow more than a 5" diameter 200 cell cat. It is the diameter that sets a system over the next. Also, the water gets muddy when someone says, my exhaust is 100 cells (4' diameter) and there exhaust piping is 62mm (stock BTW).
Hi Kevin,
Any chance you could post some pics of the cut apart RUF exhaust. I'm curious what it looks like compared to stock.

Thx...

Quick Reply: CAT Question???????????????