6 spd

I stayed with the tech which was awesome and found the following

Sweat leak minor.
Water pump leak Minor.

The DME read
Range 1 51000. 1264
Range 2. 2753. 1264

Operating hours 1265.

Tech said this was ok. I have no idea what do you think ? Was the car abused or is this normal fir a 2003 ?

Please let me know. I really want this car.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one hour ago, in this engines life, someone rang up some type two overrevs. Someone had fun on a test drive. As pointed out recently, Type 2's don't necessarily mean a money shift, especially on a flashed car. The problem is, you have no way of knowing if they are on the low end, or approaching grenade range - and you do not have the comfort of them happening 500 engine hours ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with fly2low that it is difficult to know Type 2 ovevrev range. I was told that due to high compression a car would run very poorly if over rev was serious, I.e. bent valves.

To put numbers in perspective the motor turned over 459 times in its life somewhere above 501+ RPMs above redline and 8500 times between 1-500 RPMs over redline. Think about how man hundreds of thousands of times the motor turned over in its 36,000 miles. You are talking about a few seconds of range 2s. That being said, if it hit into really high revs that is all it takes to bend valves....ask me how I know.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 51,000 type I's, this car has pretty routinely been run up to the redline.

But the killer is the 2753 Type II's. Maybe the flash reset the redline? You don't know whether they are minor bumps or money shifts.

I would walk away, there are a lot of these cars for sale out there.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by errico
I finally had the inspection done on the

2003 x50 Tt
36000 miles
Flashed car
6 spd

I stayed with the tech which was awesome and found the following

Sweat leak minor.
Water pump leak Minor.

The DME read
Range 1 51000. 1264
Range 2. 2753. 1264

Operating hours 1265.

Tech said this was ok. I have no idea what do you think ? Was the car abused or is this normal fir a 2003 ?

Please let me know. I really want this car.

If you really want the car then buy it.

The type 2 overrevs one hour ago (one hour ago engine run time) is a bit of a concern.

However, you can alleviate this somewhat -- probably down the doesn't matter level -- by treating yourself to a test ride then a test drive of the car.

What you want to do is have someone take you out in the car and cover about 15 miles (at least) and demo the car and the engine in a variety of driving scenarios.

Back at the starting point you then take over as driver and follow the same route and drive the car the same way.

Of course you keep your eyes and ears and even your nose open for any signs of any issues.

But you also monitor the gages: boost pressure, oil pressure, voltage; for any signs of any trouble.

This 15 mile test ride and 15 mile test drive gives the DME plenty of time to flag any problems with the engine, its population of sensors/controllers, the converters, fuel system, and so on.

If there was any damage arising from the recent (1 hour ago) overrevs the damage will make its presence known by the noise the engine makes, the CEL coming on (with probably misfire error codes from one or more bent valves not seating properly) or worse case blowing up.

But better this happens *before* you buy the car.

After the test ride/drive then have the car inspected for any signs of fluid leaks and for other deal killing things.

The worst thing you can do is buy the car without test driving it and test driving it long enough, without running the engine long enough on the road, that any problems do not have time to make themselves known.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Finally DME 2003 Tt x50 readout. Please advise