Sponsored by:

Price check On 2004 996 TT 6 spd please

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012 | 10:42 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmporsche
Per dealer and Porsche literature you have 2 years from date of when I would take delivery or 100K miles.
This car is being offered by a Porsche dealer? If that's the case then yes, you have two years from when you take delivery and that is definitely worth a premium. I got the impression you were talking about buying a previously CPO'd car from a private party.

It is rare these days for dealers to sell 2004 models with a CPO warranty, but it can happen with particularly nice vehicles. I got my 2004 Cayenne TT last August with a CPO warranty. $65K still seems high; I think you should try to negotiate it down below $60K. But in the end it's up to you to decide if the car is "special" enough to justify the price. If you're going to track the car regularly you definitely should swap the PCCBs for steel brake rotors.
Old 03-25-2012 | 10:56 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Renn 951,

Why are you recommending I change the PCCB's if I plan to track the car?
Old 03-25-2012 | 11:10 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michael:

The PCCBs (Gen 1 particularly) do not hold up to track use and cost over $10K to replace. You would definitely want to swap them out with steel rotors if you plan on doing 4-5 DE events per year and you have prior racing experience. You could either sell the PCCBs to cover the cost of the swap, or save them to reinstall later whenever you want to sell the car, to return to stock condition.

You can search on the 996 GT3 forum and get a lot of info on the issues with tracking PCCBs. There is probably some info on this forum as well, but you will find more info on tracking experiences on the GT3 forum.

My car was backfit with GT2 PCCB calipers on the front, but the original owner set it up with steel rotors because he tracked it a lot.

Old 03-26-2012 | 05:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Per dealer and Porsche literature you have 2 years from date of when I would take delivery or 100K miles.
I was about to say no way but found this:

How long is the warranty valid for?

1.If the qualifying Porsche Approved vehicle is purchased while still under the new vehicle warranty, the maximum coverage is 6 years/100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers from the date the car was first delivered to the first retail purchaser, or the date it was first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car, whichever comes first.

2.If the qualifying Porsche Approved vehicle purchased is outside the new vehicle warranty, the maximum coverage is 2 years from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first.

at:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned.../approved/faq/

I should have known the above because I bought my 03 Turbo in '09 under the same CPO conditions. The 2 years started about a week after I bought the car (I bought it June 19, 2009, but the warranty didn't expire until June 26, 2011).

That 2 year, 100K miles warranty was sweet!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:07 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I just received the DME report from the dealer on the car I put a deposit on and believe this is troubling news but need help to make sure I understand correctly:

Number of ignitions, range 1 33111 895.8 h
Number of ignitions, range 2 449 864.6 h

Am I reading this correctly that the car has had 33,111 over revs in 1st gear and 449 over revs (mechanical over-revs)????

Also, they said the PCCB rotors have 1/2 mm left before minimum spec - is this bad on a ceramic rotor? I know it is not much left on a steel rotor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I was ready to fly out tomorrow and pick up the car.

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:27 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Excellence magazine has this car valued at
Low $37,600
High $50,300

That car from all indications has been tracked! The rotor has minimul life left, and those ceramics are expensive. What I would be leary of is the range 2 overrevs, this is when one is downshifting and over revs and is not handled by the rev limiter. Can cause ramifictions down the road, the valve train takes a beating. My advice skip it!
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:33 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

KBB shows $74,xxx with options so I guess the value is somewhere in between. Most cars didn't have the X50 and PCCB's which added $29,xxx to the sticker that totaled $165K 8 years ago.
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:38 PM
SSST
Drifting

I didn't know about the CPO option after factory warrant either until I found this car. The seller claims this adds $5k to the cost????

Factory stock does appeal to me. I plan to use as a DD, however, I only drive about 5k per year (work out of my house).

PCCB's are gen 1 so they may be problematic but who knows. I do plan to track the car 4 or 5 times a year and I used to race for 8 years so I will use them )

I am a sucker for a unique car and probably just looking for validation for my stupidity.

Thank you!
CPO cost the dealer $2K. I confirmed that with PCNA last year when I bought mine. If he paid 5K for it then the dealer made a good deal. Caveat Emptor.

They can CPO for 2 years up to the 8th anniversary of the date it was sold new. My car was 7 years and 2 months old when I bought it.

The CPO is worth something depending on the remaining term of the warranty. I would prorate $2K based on the remaining life.

I'm with the others on the value of the options. The X50 is worth something, and possibly the PCCB. Anything else is nice to have and probably won't affect the car's value much should you decide to sell it.

All that said, if I was buying it, $49 - 50K would be my target and then add the prorated value of the warranty.

On edit: I just noticed that you are buying from a dealer. I always use NADA wholesale as the basis of my negotiations with dealers. I haven't meet a dealer yet that didn't use NADA as their basis for buyng cars at auction or taking them on trade. Excellence is usually in line with NADA. KBB is often used to set "asking prices" but as a buyer, you should negotiate using NADA wholesale IMO.

Last edited by SSST; 03-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2012 | 11:30 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

mid 50's

Quick Reply: Price check On 2004 996 TT 6 spd please