Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM on or off? How do you drive your 996tt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Are you modded or stock? I don't really get any PSM intervention in a straight line with a hard 2nd gear pull (stock X50).

I also find it interesting the difference in responses here vs. 6Speed.
My EVOMS modded Turbo has traction issues in 1st and 2nd gear at WOT. One of the reasons I drive with PSM off.

What's the general trend of answers over at 6Speed?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
What's the general trend of answers over at 6Speed?
A lot higher percentage of people saying they drive with it off compared with Rennlist. I also assume that the more power you're making the less likely it would be that you'd be leaving it on.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I drive with it on...I think that learning to drive with it off is safer in the long run since you are aware of being at traction limits and learning to bring it back in. That is why for autocross - it is off. I want to feel the car at and over it's limits and learn to fix it correctly. But on the road - I am a paranoid guy and don't mind a little help in case I do something dumb.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Sql
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a flash, exhaust, intake and DVs. Not much but still 1st and 2nd gears do have traction issues with PZeros.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,445 Posts

On all the time, street and track. Like in the video I think the car is faster with it on.

I used to track an '85 Carrera so I learned rear engine car control with that car.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
On all the time, street and track. Like in the video I think the car is faster with it on.
A modded Turbo is not faster in a straight line with it on.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree w/ Dock. My times are faster with it off by quite a bit.

If you can't control the power - the car will be faster w/PSM.

If you can control the power - you will be faster without it since PSM normally drops power to wheels that are slipping.

One reason the car was faster in the video is on the wet-track you end up in somewhat of a drift to manage the oversteer...which is slower around the circle. A normal run with 100% of the power available all the time will produce faster times (but a higher risk of spinning).
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Street-on, Track-off.
My lap times an and off are about the same, but it's a helluva lot more fun with it off.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

On the street I have in ON simply because it's almost impossible to drive the car near the limit without going to jail or risking others so it doesn't matter to me if its ON or not. On the track I have it OFF since I have fried my rear brakes (turned the yellow calipers bright orange) when I forgot to turn it off. With PSM ON the rear brakes will keep activating trying to keep the back end in check on turn exit and as a result will overheat the rotors and calipers. I have seen others with the same results when driving hard at the track with PSM ON. However, even when you turn PSM OFF you do not actually fully turn it off. It will still be active during breaking but will not intrude on acceleration. To fully disconnect PSM you must unplug the connector at the pre-charge pump. ABS will remain active....
Old 03-25-2012, 04:17 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

My personal opinion is that (apart from the fact that we compare if the car is faster with the Pam on or off) it comes to a point that the driver does the difference.
Sometime ago I did read an article about normal people drove their car on track with and without psm. The difference was that DID NOT know if it was on or off.
Most of them with system off never reached the critical point of loosing the control of the car and did a better time than the one with the PSM on and they knew it was on.

And another article wrote about a driver who was very talented in his country and he was taken to the nearby country Italy to race with other drivers.
The new driver was not even in the first 10 when he raced tthe car. Nobody could explain why he was that much back in the grid. A mechanic from his team "masking taped" his speedometer for speeds over 100 mph.
Same guy same track almost same opponent driver and he was always in the first 5!!!
The reason was that the new driver had no experience of fast circuits and on the sight of very high speeds ( according to what he was used to race) he was afraid to push the car more.

My opinion is that it comes to a point of how do you feel when youmdrive the car. And if you feel safe ( I.e. PSM on) you drive faster.

Mine is on all the time

Harris
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My car is 100% stock so it is faster with the PSM on.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Agree w/ Dock. My times are faster with it off by quite a bit.

If you can't control the power - the car will be faster w/PSM.

If you can control the power - you will be faster without it since PSM normally drops power to wheels that are slipping.

One reason the car was faster in the video is on the wet-track you end up in somewhat of a drift to manage the oversteer...which is slower around the circle. A normal run with 100% of the power available all the time will produce faster times (but a higher risk of spinning).
My car is 100% stock and the PSM kicks in only at mid corner drift and I have found that if I keep the speed just under the PSM threshold the car is more planted at corner exit and ready for power while if I turn the PSM off I am faster through mid-corner but the car is not ready for power until a little later in the corner exit. I use the PSM as a sort of barometer.

It has nothing to do with me controlling the power. The stock suspension and high performance street tires I run just can't get it to the ground. As I wrote I drove an '85 Carrera for years on the track. I understand what a car's inherent traction capabilities are with and without electronic driving aids.

I have found the same thing to be true with the ABS. If I brake just at the threshold of the ABS the car slows down faster and with more stability. Using the ABS all the time produces slower lap times.

If your TT has upgraded suspension then I could see it being faster with PSM off. Using PSM or not is all about car set up and driving style.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

ZA, my salesman, who happens to be from Germany....when he was showing me the car and how it worked, he looked at me and said.....zee dis button....dis PSM button? You never ever turn this button off....

I am not good enough to drive the car without the aid of the PSM
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
My car is 100% stock so it is faster with the PSM on.
Your stock Turbo isn't faster in straight line acceleration if traction isn't perfect. When rear wheel traction is lost power is pulled.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Off. With it on it kills the power just when i need (want) it exiting the corner.

Quick Reply: PSM on or off? How do you drive your 996tt?