Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "safest" way to buy a car long distance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Daytonaman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I alyways did when remote buying:
Flew out. Round trip ticket. Or..
Rented a car cheap and drove. I checked the drop charge if I decided to buy and drive.
Inspect the numbers (and the car).
I do my own inspections, because if I don't know enough about what I am buying I should stay home
I found a local bank where we could meet with Title, Keys, and BOS, (and car!) all in the same place, same time.
In front of the teller, I had them make out a cashiers check and hand to the seller; he gave me the title.
I drove it back 1,000 mi. Great trip; Slept in a HI Express..
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Kyle1058
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I've just got to be a bit more patient. I'm still hoping to find a TX car to avoid these problems, it's just been a few months now.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just returned from Georgia where I flew out to see a Lotus Exige Club Racer... the car was totally misrepresented (was told it was a cream puff, but looked worn) and also failed the PPI miserably...

buy local, besides, a lot of things can happen on the ride back home and shipping is expensive... you could put that money towards a better car.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 2003 996TT from a Rennlister, major enthusiast, long distance. After emails, phone calls - I think we each got a great feel for each other as buyer/seller. I was able to get to his area on work - saw the car on a Monday, picked up on a Thursday and drove it home 911 miles (haha) over 2 days. Awesome - awesome - awesome experience. I had called a few other sellers prior to this one but none gave me the warm and fuzzy. You'll know when you have the right seller. The onsite visit to confirm your expectations is good to have and a few days to allow for a backout or PPI. I highly recommend buying from a reputable enthusiast if buying long distance, worth some extra $$ in my book
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 AM
JTB1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things I have learned is that now I own a tt, I know considerably more about them than when I was searching for one. If you can find a Rennlister just to drop by and glance over the car, you could save yourself a trip. At one point I was sure I would end up traveling to get my car. Patience, however, won out and I found one locally. No regrets so far - wonderful car .

Good luck,
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle1058
Thanks guys. I've just got to be a bit more patient. I'm still hoping to find a TX car to avoid these problems, it's just been a few months now.
You are reducing your odds by TWENTY fold, easy.

There are many things you cannot control: colors, options, maintenance/records...the list goes on...to THEN add "it must be in TX" is silly.

A few months will turn into a few years..or you'll compromise dramatically.

My 2 cents

Quick Reply: What is the "safest" way to buy a car long distance?