Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "safest" way to buy a car long distance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Kyle1058
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the "safest" way to buy a car long distance?

Besides having a PPI done, what is the best way to buy a car 1500 miles away? I would want to ship the car. If I felt really good about the purchase, I'd try to buy it sight unseen.

What is the best way to pay for it? I've always bought cars in person "locally" and wired money during a normal bank day as long as I had car and title in hand. Can't very well do that if car is clear across the country.

How have you guys done it? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't buy sight unseen.

Buy from a Rennlister.

At least ask for a local Rennlister to check out the car for you.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 269 Posts

Escrow agent.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If its that car on eBay, I'd have a local RL'r check it out. If it passes initial test, make plans to fly out and inspect it in person for a PPI. Seller will pry want a deposit in order to hold it for you as you get more serious. Clearly, agree with the seller that the deposit is fully refundable, pending PPI.

IMO, I'd drive that thing 1500 miles. If you can't, then have an enclosed carrier ready, pry another $1-1.5K in cost
Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Fly out and check it out. Where is the car you're looking at?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Kyle1058
Track Day

No, it's not the car on eBay. It's no specific car. There have been a few that sparked my interest that have been a long way away. I just want to be ready when I find the car. I've been looking for a few months, and just haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Inevitably, it'll be in Maine, and I'm in TX.

I'll definitely ask a Rennlister to check it out.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The Rennfax is great. When I was shopping, every used car dealer who had a turbo told me the car had NO paintwork- when I drove to check the cars out, they ALL had paint work, CELs, etc.

Ended up buying from a individual seller about an hour away. Never trust a dealer's word.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Fly out check out the car if you like it make a deal and either drive it back or transport it.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kyle:

I've done two long distance purchases, where I sent the sellers the funds in advance, and they sent me signed off titles and bills of sale. In each case, I got to know the seller over the phone. My 993 was owned by a Rennlister who is an aerospace engineer, and whose wife is an attorney (I'm also an attorney), so this deal was easy. They even kept the car for me until I could fly down and drive it home.

A few weeks ago, I bought a BMW motorcycle from the general manager of an aviation company in Ontario. Again, I have paid for the bike, have bills of sale, and they are storing the bike for me until I can ship it home. In the course of negotiating the deal, I spoke to the owner's operations manager a number of times, had a look at the company website, and I felt very comfortable dealing with them.

But each deal is different. I paid with bank drafts, but sending a wire is the best way. My suggestion would be to try to get to know the seller, but if you have any doubt, you can get an attorney local to the seller to escrow the money for you. Sometimes you can Google verify the seller's identity, which helps.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
Fly out check out the car if you like it make a deal and either drive it back or transport it.
+1. I would fly out just to make sure. Could be a costly mistake if there is something wrong or if it gets loaded wrong.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Like Rinty, I have bought 2 911s at long distance and my experience has been similar to his. You need to talk to the seller to the point that there is some degree of trust. I ask for info on who has maintained the car and for the mechanics phone number (if there had been any hesitation to answer that question the deal would have been off). You call the mechanic and see if his story agrees with what the owner said. Also if the owner hesitates to help your guy with the PPI the deal is off. One area that gets sticky is whether to negotiate price prior to PPI or to wait. I think you negotiate a price upfront based on a perfect PPI (which the PPI rarely will be perfect). Then you renegotiate if there are PPI items to be addressed.
I also strongly agree that you should fly out and drive back the car. Even with a good PPI I just want to put my eyes on it, plus the drive home is always a blast.

Good luck-
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

the PPI is the single biggest thing for any distance. Bought both of my 911's through auto trader.com. Bought both sight unseen, and without driving them. I arranged for the PPIs, and when you pay for it, then the dude works for you. My PPI on the 964 I bought 12 years ago showed a failure of the dual mass clutch. We argued over it, and had another shop go over it, and then he knocked the price down to cover the replacement costs. The only thing I would suggest is that you drive the car home. It will be the best 1500 miles you ever drive.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A PPI is always the best way to go, but doesn't guarentee anything. I bought my 964 long distance and the owner kindly flew me out to check it out (former airline pilot with miles to give out I guess). I can't imagine buying a car sight unseen. I've had that car now for 13 years. My Turbo, I bought close enough to drive and see.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have bought 2 Porsches and a Lexus out of state. I had had half a dozen PPIs done on Turbos that failed. I had another 4-5 walkaround inspections done on cars that were highly misrepresented and never made it to the point of getting a PPI.

If small dents, dings, scrapes, interior wear and tear, abraded glass, curbed wheels and the like don't concern you, put your trust in the seller and have it shipped sight unseen.

Otherwise, see what you are buying before parting with your cash.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As OP mentioned, he's in TX; plenty of decent Pcars there, so he may be fortunate to purchase local. As he stated, odds are he'll find the right car in Maine, or worse.

Bottom line, kyle, where ever the particular car is located; one, find a reputable individual to Rennfax; then look into a one-way or RT flight to personally check the car out before finalizing the deal.

When it comes to sending funds, you have to build solid contact tel numbers and mailing addresses with the seller. Personal phone calls to share info. then get into whether bank wire transfers, escrow attorneys, "personal paypal", bank drafts, or
whatever methods will protect you from losing funds. ALWAYS confirm with the seller that your funds are fully refundable
pending a final inspection and final selling price.

Encourage the seller to stay in contact with other potential buyers in case you have to pull out of the deal, ( family/medical emergencies, etc.)

GL in your purchase.

Quick Reply: What is the "safest" way to buy a car long distance?