Sponsored by:

Best intake, chip, exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I checked out Ultimate Motor Werks and all they do is tuning and the next move up is replacing turbos? My main problem is I believe that my car has been chipped but I have no verification. Is there any way to find out if it was chipped? I understand I cannot know whose chip it is. Also, am I truly to believe that the only exhaust that has no drone and isn't super crazy expensive that people like on 996TT is the Europipe?
What does the boost guage say? If it is .7-.8 it is stock. If it is higher it is chipped old school or flashed.

UMW does much more than tuning.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UMW in Woodinville WA - about 5 miles from us. He BREATHES your car....knows it all when it comes to engines. We got yer good stuff for brakes for track work -
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess the issue for me is I live in S. Florida and that is about as far away as far can be! I do most work on my own so I would do the install of anything that I do except a tune. I don't know if that is worth it considering the car is most likely chipped but if I do the exhaust is it worth a tune as well? I will call UMW and see what they say.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good exhausts and tunes, discussed ad nauseam

On "intake", skip that- stock is fine for 550-600hp. Change the stock paper filter every other oil change and you'll be on the right side of the performance curve...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The tune can cost you big dollars in damage....go with a good one. Having a person to talk to is important. I learned much of my wisdom from Kevin at UMW. What he has provided me has never let me down.

For exhaust, ....deleted stuff as there are a lot of options and taste matters (and tuners can tune to an exhaust...). I have a high end unit with great resale and love it....the welds are amazing on some of these, btw. They are virtual sculptures.

Stock air box is good until you get to silly power (built motor)...

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-16-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I guess the issue for me is I live in S. Florida and that is about as far away as far can be! I do most work on my own so I would do the install of anything that I do except a tune.
Dealing with a vendor nearby can be of great value when it comes to after purchase service. Having a shop that you can take the car to and/or physically talk with should be a consideration IMHO. Maybe check with Orbit Racing and see what tuner they work with.

Quick Reply: Best intake, chip, exhaust?