Intermediate

Default 17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?

Guys,

I need 17" wheels on my 996tt.

Any idea what wheels fit?

I want 2 sets:
17x8 and 17x10 (winter setup)
17x8 and 17x11 (all season setup)

If you have some for sale or can refer me, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2012 | 03:09 AM
KC_Michael
Advanced

I was told that 17" wheels are likely to interfere with the brake calipers. I too was thinking my winter set might be better with a 17" wheel (and a wider sidewall) given more potholes in winter.
Old 03-11-2012 | 04:05 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

"Need"?

Why?
Old 03-11-2012 | 01:41 PM
Turkish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adam_
"Need"?

Why?
The roads in Minnesota are VERY bad.
I bent 5 wheels last winter.

The snow likes to cover up some of these bad spots as well.
Old 03-11-2012 | 05:33 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Suspensions are tuned to the wheel size, therefeor it's not recommended you change.
Old 03-11-2012 | 06:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turkish
Guys,

I want 2 sets:

This question came up a while back... Here's a link to the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...996-turbo.html

I quickly scanned the above and nothing really definite was decided.

More recently I was at a Porsche dealer and picked a wheel/tire pamphlet that covered wheels/tires (summer/winter) for the various late model Porsches.

Unfortunately I do have the pamphlet handy to check if 17" wheels (at least for winter use) are available for the Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-12-2012 | 12:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Suspensions are tuned to the wheel size, therefeor it's not recommended you change.
False, suspensions are tuned to the tire size, more specifically the overall diameter.

Even so, that's irrelevant when you are talking about snow driving, You aren't even producing enough grip to even test the suspension. And you can maintain the overall diameter by getting a taller sidewall tire. Which is exactly what he's looking for to help protect his wheels.

The only problem is getting around the brakes, which I don't know of a remedy for.
Old 03-12-2012 | 01:49 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Originally Posted by wanna911
False, suspensions are tuned to the tire size, more specifically the overall diameter.
Technically suspensions (spring/damper) are tuned with a specific sidewall in mind and how that will impact the overall spring rate. The end result is the manufacturer's recommended wheel and tire combinations. Doesn't mean one can't deviate from them...

The issues with deviating from the manufacturer's rolling diameters deal with the electronic nannies (ABS/PSM) and on an AWD car the center diff/viscous coupling. ABS/PSM use wheel speed sensors to detect wheel slippage by comparing all four wheel speeds. If the computer detects a wheel speed variation it will activate the appropriate system to correct the disparity. If you deviate from the manufacturer's front-to-rear rolling diameter ratio by too great a margin you will get a fault code because the computer will be getting a false signal of wheel slippage.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2012 | 01:58 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

there is a set of 17" in the "Member only " sale section, posted in the last couple of days. The pics show them mounted on a 996TT
my guess would have been that it couldn't be done, but obviously wrong
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Technically suspensions (spring/damper) are tuned with a specific sidewall in mind and how that will impact the overall spring rate. The end result is the manufacturer's recommended wheel and tire combinations. Doesn't mean one can't deviate from them...

The issues with deviating from the manufacturer's rolling diameters deal with the electronic nannies (ABS/PSM) and on an AWD car the center diff/viscous coupling. ABS/PSM use wheel speed sensors to detect wheel slippage by comparing all four wheel speeds. If the computer detects a wheel speed variation it will activate the appropriate system to correct the disparity. If you deviate from the manufacturer's front-to-rear rolling diameter ratio by too great a margin you will get a fault code because the computer will be getting a false signal of wheel slippage.

Cheers
This is true, but all that goes out of the window anyways once you try a different set of tires than the manufacturer tested on. Sidewall stiffness can vary greatly between brands, not even delving into tire pressures affect and margin for error. Besides, 18's weren't put on the 996 for handling, they were put there for looks (and to fit the big pretty brakes), just like the 991 is coming with 20's. There is no handling advantage to going with 18's. Whether they tuned for them or not.

Tire Diameters have to do with much more than just PSM ABS, relative tire heights affect your corner balance, rake, weight distribution and aero as well. You can have two different tires with the same size rating (but different rolling and relative rolling diameters) that can affect all of this.

However with snow tires at snow pace, we aren't exactly talking a handling clinic.
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turkish
Guys,

I want 2 sets:

Your not gonna find any 17" wheel that can fit your front calipers. They are almost rubbing as it is with 18" wheels.

Best you could run is a 35 sidewall on the rear which makes it a bit taller. Also run your tire pressure a bit higher or definitely at full recommend pressure.

These ones here work. Also try and find your self solid spoke wheels off the 2001 TT or C4S. They are a lot stronger then the hollow spokes wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ozero+Serie+II

f 235/40R18
r 295/35R18

Last edited by jumper5836; 03-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:40 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Regarding all the 17" nay-sayers: How big is the wheel on the spare? I agree that it is going to be a relatively rare 17" wheel that clears the brakes, but I don't know that it is impossible.
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:50 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
This is true, but all that goes out of the window anyways once you try a different set of tires than the manufacturer tested on. Sidewall stiffness can vary greatly between brands, not even delving into tire pressures affect and margin for error. Besides, 18's weren't put on the 996 for handling, they were put there for looks (and to fit the big pretty brakes), just like the 991 is coming with 20's. There is no handling advantage to going with 18's. Whether they tuned for them or not.

Tire Diameters have to do with much more than just PSM ABS, relative tire heights affect your corner balance, rake, weight distribution and aero as well. You can have two different tires with the same size rating (but different rolling and relative rolling diameters) that can affect all of this.

However with snow tires at snow pace, we aren't exactly talking a handling clinic.
Agreed. Someone says "suspension tuning" and I instinctively think only (incorrectly) spring and damper. Your points on tire diameter impact for me fall under "setup". My own personal semantics.

Done hijacking.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2012 | 03:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Regarding all the 17" nay-sayers: How big is the wheel on the spare? I agree that it is going to be a relatively rare 17" wheel that clears the brakes, but I don't know that it is impossible.
It's either 16" or 17" but its only 5.5" wide. It doesn't come close to the caliper due to the width and offset.
Old 03-12-2012 | 04:18 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

The answer to the question is apparently - yes, you can:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...997-c2-c4.html

Plus they already are fitted with winters. Two sets.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?