996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 04:50 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Wanna911, the 17 will dictate an overall difference in circumference and sidewall height and contact patch size, therefore my post stands! So before you go and blast a post, think through it!

In regards to your other comment, when shopping for replacement tires you should stay witihin the tolerence of the factory spec N tires as it relates to circumference. So if you follow this it all doesn't go out the window!
If you did your homework, you would not say the 18 and 20 were put on for looks!

From Euopean Motorcar
"I consulted Michelin and Porsche engineers along with some seasoned Porsche racers about this. Porsche's engineers did not find our problem surprising and said, "All the fuel and chassis control systems on the 996 Turbo are built and tested around the wheel and tire size and their corresponding rolling radius. Altering the standard size not only has adverse effects on the performance and handling but most likely could end in damaged drivetrain parts such as a broken front differential or viscous clutch damage (not a warranty matter). The weight of the wheels and tires is not a major factor." This just goes to show how dialed in Porsche's cars are out of the box. "

Read more: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...#ixzz1ow0Xh9l4
Old 03-12-2012 | 07:04 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
From Euopean Motorcar
"I consulted Michelin and Porsche engineers along with some seasoned Porsche racers about this. Porsche's engineers did not find our problem surprising and said, "All the fuel and chassis control systems on the 996 Turbo are built and tested around the wheel and tire size and their corresponding rolling radius. Altering the standard size not only has adverse effects on the performance and handling but most likely could end in damaged drivetrain parts such as a broken front differential or viscous clutch damage (not a warranty matter). The weight of the wheels and tires is not a major factor." This just goes to show how dialed in Porsche's cars are out of the box. "

Read more: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...#ixzz1ow0Xh9l4
Would have been nice if they shared the sizes of the 19" tires they used.

Their comment that they achieved the highest lateral g with the 19s in severe oversteer is interesting. Then the comment that results were not significantly different with PSM on versus off is bizarre. The TT's PSM is not that liberal in its operating range, is it?

Cheers
Old 03-14-2012 | 02:09 PM
Turkish
Intermediate

Thanks for the link.

I sent him an email and will buy BUT, they are the same width both front and back.
I was told anything less than 10" in back would be a no-no.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?