Sponsored by:

Need some 996TT buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

What does "RS Suspension" mean? Same Q with "upgraded wheels."
New clutch after only 30K miles? I think T2 is still on his original clutch with 300K miles.
Its an 01.

Note -there's a GR w Ruf mods listed for sale on RL - more than your target price, but....
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Spidey 993

12k in worked performed:

Solid plumes of smoke coming from exhaust with black sediment
rr exhaust, drain and inspect, inspect turbos
check valves missing from turbos, intake filled with oil
cleaned intercoolers and intake piping
replaced plugs
found wastegate actuator rods obstructed by header manifold
remachined clearance and rt and left bank headers for wastegate actuators
replaced clutch ($3k)
found AP exhaust clogged
Customer DME calibration ($3k)
Clutch Slave Cylinder ($500)
Wrong Fuel Injectors, replaced with 72lb High Impedence Injectors ($1k)

So, do I run? or is it all set for the next couple years?

Last edited by Spidey 993; 02-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Spidey 993

I just got the DME report:

Number of ignitions range 1: 42504/1006h
Number of ignitions range 2: 752/926h
Operating hours: 1011.3

That puts the car at an average of 29.6 mph. Thats a good sign, I believe according to above from Macster.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
12k in worked performed:

Solid plumes of smoke coming from exhaust with black sediment
rr exhaust, drain and inspect, inspect turbos
check valves missing from turbos, intake filled with oil
cleaned intercoolers and intake piping
replaced plugs
found wastegate actuator rods obstructed by header manifold
remachined clearance and rt and left bank headers for wastegate actuators
replaced clutch ($3k)
found AP exhaust clogged
Customer DME calibration ($3k)
Clutch Slave Cylinder ($500)
Wrong Fuel Injectors, replaced with 72lb High Impedence Injectors ($1k)

So, do I run? or is it all set for the next couple years?
Well, I hate to be the wet blanket but the above list contains a lot of odd things to do to a car based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

I worry about the injectors that were replaced. Were they underfeeding the engine or overfeeding the engine? IOWs, was the engine running too lean or too rich with the previous set of injectors?

Either way is bad.

And is "72lb high impedance injectors" some kind of fancy code phrase for "factory injectors"?

Unless the engine is mod'd (which I would not like either) I see no reason to step outside and install some custom injectors.

Not to pile on but I hate to see 'remachined' in any used car description. I know of no reason why anything on one of these cars should need to be remachined.

"cleaned plugs" vs. replacing them? For $12K the service manager ought to have tossed in the plugs for free.

Given all of the above, my inclination would be to run away from the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Spidey 993

Attached is the DME readout/build sheet. Also the $12k invoice. Hopefully it attaches.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
image-4.pdf (485.7 KB, 519 views)
File Type: pdf
image-3.pdf (395.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Spidey 993

If you say run, I'll run.

That's why I'm doing this. You all have much more experience with these cars than I.

Yes, I saw the GR Ruf, but its a firm $63k, way out of my budget.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

If you say run, I'll run.

That's why I'm doing this. You all have much more experience with these cars than I.

Yes, I saw the GR Ruf, but its a firm $63k, way out of my budget.
Well, I say 'run' but as I stated my experience is limited with these cars.

For instance, I brought up the injector question, but maybe a tuner for instance might be able to dismiss that as being immaterial or of no consequence.

And maybe remachining is a perfectly acceptable way of dealing wtih whatever was being dealt with. As an ex-machinist I have nothing against re-machining anything. Part of my work involved remachining things to make them servicable again. It is just with these cars, I can see remachining a flywheel, maybe brake rotors, but anything else...? Parts should fit without having to remachine anything. And if the parts don't fit either they aftermarket (and not very good or they would fit), or factory but something else is in the way. I've seen these cars partially disassembled and while the fit is tight there's a place for everthing and everything in its place. The way Porsche managed to find space for everything and to do it in such a way the parts/areas of the car that we often do not see are just as beautiful (to me anyhow) as the parts/areas of the car we see all the time.

Solicit some more opinions, input. Ask about some specific things.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Spidey 993

Fair enough, and I appreciate the input.

The "Remachining" topic was "remachining clearance on the right and left side bank headers for wastegate actuators".

Still doesn't mean much to me, but that may make sense to someone here?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

The car has had some mods done to it so first question you gotta ask yourself is" do i even want a modified car" ? If you hear yourself saying "Yes Yes and Yes" then call the place that did the modifications i,e MotorWerks" and ask them about the work ?

Since it's a modified car, i would say doing a compression/leakdown test is definately in order.

Hopethat helps.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Attached is the DME readout/build sheet. Also the $12k invoice. Hopefully it attaches.
Ok I looked at the 1st PDF.

Alpha build? What is this? What does this mean? I suspect I know, or can guess, but you have to know for sure.

Alpha turbos? Same as above.

Various other hardware installed but build is incomplete and unprogrammed.

Ok, this engine's been mod'd. But according to the work order the job's not done. Who knows what the outcome will be? Maybe the thing screams. But maybe you wake up in the middle of the night screaming.

I see plugs were replaced. That's good to know. Like hearing the Titanic has plenty of ice on board to keep the champagne cold good to know while one is waiting for a seat in a lifeboat.

One coil. That's likely due to a misfire. But just one?

The stock exhaust system had to be reinstalled to continue with the tuning. The risk is the mod'd engine will not work right with the stock exhaust system, that is deliver its rated hp/torque.

Clutch kit and clutch slave cylinder and clutch accumulator... Not unheard of for these to be necessary. My 03 Turbo required the slave cylinder/accum at a bit over 50K miles. The clutch is original and the car now has over 86K miles.

I read where track only pads were replaced with pads meant for street use.

Taking all of the above into account I think you can find a better car.

The 1st rule of used car shopping is to remember there's always another car.

But of course it is your decision.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If it were me, I'd walk. Car has been tracked which can be good or bad. It's good if a good wrench has worked on the car and it has been well maintained for track use. It's bad if someone who doesn't know what he is doing has done the work. This car shows signs of the latter. Also, I would prefer an 02 or later car. Do some research on this forum to find out the differences. There are lots of cars out there. Be patient.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks Macster and Receiver. The stuff you find I don't even see. I have the "O my, I want this car" glasses on so you only see what you want to.

Ok, back to the new listings tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree that you should pass. There are too many unknowns, and there is evidence that they cut the toilet seat in half on the mods.

At least they have been honest about the condition of the car.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience (with Audis - but still AWD, turbo), many vehicle problems are 'self-induced' - people modding without a good overall cohesive plan or a good tuner shop to work with throughout the process.
Therefore, unless you know the specifics of each mod performed on a used car and can appreciate how they all work together - I would use caution. People can spend months / years dialing in a good suspension setup - how often do you think a novice with more money than sense would get it right the first time? Again, not that all mods are bad - you just need to go in with your eyes open.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
smokindav
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look for an enthusiast owned car for sale here on Rennlist, 6-speed online, Corner Carvers, PCA or similar. For me, a car that has been tracked a few times a year is ideal because these cars are usually well maintained and if there are any issues they have typically been discovered and corrected.

Track day guys are usually pretty **** as the consequences of not being **** about car maintenance and prep are at best a wasted weekend at the track because the car was not prepped properly and you end up missing sessions or having to baby the car and at worst a mechanical or off-track excursion.

When I bought my 996 I found it through Corner Carvers.com and the seller and I met at Watkins Glen and shared the car for a weekend track event before I drove it home. I could not be happier with how this worked out.

Quick Reply: Need some 996TT buying advice