Sponsored by:

Climate control freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Wheelman21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate control freaking out

Hey guys. Last night I started my 02 after it had been sitting out in the cold for a few hours. The climate control went to "Lo" and the fan went to max. I hit the auto button and it went back to the temp I had it sent at but then the numbers counted down to "Lo" again and the fan went back to max. I can get the temp back up if I hit the button fast enough, but it just goes back down to lo when I stop trying to turn it up. I can't get the fan to slow down or turn off even. It is still doing the same thing this morning, any ideas what the heck is going on?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelman21
Hey guys. Last night I started my 02 after it had been sitting out in the cold for a few hours. The climate control went to "Lo" and the fan went to max. I hit the auto button and it went back to the temp I had it sent at but then the numbers counted down to "Lo" again and the fan went back to max. I can get the temp back up if I hit the button fast enough, but it just goes back down to lo when I stop trying to turn it up. I can't get the fan to slow down or turn off even. It is still doing the same thing this morning, any ideas what the heck is going on?
My first guess would be the controller's gone on the fritz. The only 'reset' I know is to turn off the ignition key and let the car sit. If you want to speed things up you can carefully remove the fuse of the A/C system. This cuts power to the system right away.

If that does not help then I think you need to take the car to a shop that has the proper diagnostics computer that can interact with the climate control system and perhaps allow one to diagnose what's going on.

If you want some things to check verify the carpets are dry no dampness anywhere and the water drains under the panels -- one drain on each side of the battery box -- are free of debris and there is not sign of water collecting and overflowing into the cabin, or into the dash and possibly the A/C system.

Check the water drains at the rear of the car too.

Harder to check is for water leaks around the windshield.

Oh, a long shot is to check for signs of rodents. These can infest a car that sits unused. Now I admit a few hours is not that long and it is unlikely but they may have been at the car earlier and this last go around has had the nasty beasts hitting a nerve, as it were.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts

You can also try turning the ignition key to the 'on' position but don't start the car and let it sit that way for a minute or two. This also 'resets' the systems.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Wheelman21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hooked up my durametric and all I could seem to connect with was the engine controller. I couldn't see the AC, seat memory, etc. Here is a video of what it's doing, any help is appreciated, it's winter here in NY, the last thing I need is AC:

Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Darn I lost my post. Well, here goes a seond try...

The behavior is odd. If a reset of some kind doesn't 'fix' it and if Durametrics is of no help -- I have no experience with this tool so I'm not saying there's not a menu or feature somewhere -- then unless someone who's been down this road before and chips in you're faced with seeking professional help.

I wanted to say the symptoms sort of look like the cabin air temp sensor is not working or more likely is delivering erratic readings. Because of this the temp runs up and down as does the fan speed.

Now with my autoclimate control system if I have the unit in auto mode then turn off the compresor and run the fan speed to off, if I press the temp button the unit will try to automatically control the cabin temp but in some cases the fan speed will go ballistic.

Since there's no cooling if the cabin's warm the temp setting stays fixed at whatever it was but the fan speed goes to the max.

Getting back on my WAG that the temp setting moves on its own may be due to the bad cabin temp sensor sending erratic temps.

The A/C gets shut off to avoid overloading this then the system rerverts to manual mode and the fan speed and temp setting move trying to adapt to the erratic temp signals coming from the cabin temp sensor.

Oh, if the outside temp is too cold (32F or some sources give it a few more degrees) the compressor will not run to avoid icing the evaporator.

if it is cold where you are when the car is...

But how to diagnosis and confirm or eliminate the cabin sensor I have no ideal.

Anyhow, that's all I got.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried turning the unit to off using the fan control as soon as you start the car? From the video it didn't seem to go wonky until you messed with the temp control or auto button.

The automatic climate control in my Ford truck goes goofy occasionally. I turn it off (it actually has an off button) and then hit auto and it is fine.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Climate control freaking out