Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashed ECU value? Unknown program

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012 | 10:07 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Default Flashed ECU value? Unknown program

I love how crazy fast this car is but I have been unable to determine the program that was loaded on the car. I can get 1.2 bar at WOT and this thing flies. I am concerned about the long term reliability of the car with this extra power. I use the Car as my DD and most days I am doing 55 as I have my son in the car on the way to daycare.

If I buy a stock ECU and swap it out is there any street value of the ECU with the flash on it?

Anyone in the local area with an extra stock ECU I can borrow for a week and see what my car feels like stock?

I hate to flash this ECU back to stock and just "lose" a $1500-2000 program.

My car has a Fabspeed Exhaust system with 200 cell cats as well.
Old 02-05-2012 | 11:07 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

A Flash is worth around 1k, probably not worth the hassle of an ecu swap. If you're concerned, UMW's flash is very trusted and seems to be designed with longevity in mind.

It is a night and day difference between the 2, you probably won't want to go back to stock.

Last edited by Letmebegus; 02-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2012 | 11:30 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:20 AM
bng4god
2nd Gear

Default I had a similar situation...

Hey there Judd944,

I bought my 03 996TT August of last year which had an exhaust and ECU tune. I even had the records and receipt that showed that the tune was worth $2300! It felt good but it was from a local tuner that had somewhat of a shady history. If I was really concerned I would have flashed to stock right away but the actual local Porsche dealer flashed the ECU with the tuning map so it was still considered under extended warranty.

Well, I decided to get the car reflashed anyways and have heard great recommendations for Kevin @ UMW. I have to say that I am glad I got it flashed by UMW. The car feels so different now with a smooth power delivery and I really feel safe that my car will run fine with the added power. Kevin spent a lot of time discussing his approach and his love for tuning 996TT's. We are lucky to have him as he really knows these cars in and out. You probably have heard this story many times and there is a reason for it.

My recommendation would be that even if you try to sell the ECU with the tune, you will have to find a sucker who just climbed out of a rock to buy it especially since it is an unknown tune and there are so many tuners available now where you can pick and choose your tuner of choice. You really have two choices: flash back to stock or go with another tried and true ECU tuner like Kevin@UMW. Don't think of the fact that you are losing a $2,000 tune - think of it as you are upgrading to a tune that YOU are confident in and has proven and improved performance and feel. I'd say it's worth the money and still cost-effective. JMHO.

Brent
Old 02-06-2012 | 02:01 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

I hear you, not many people are going to want an "unknown" flash.
There is nothing wrong with it but the car needed a new clutch at 29k miles for a reason...The car spins the tires in this weather due to them being so cold but I fear when the weather turns warmer the weak link is going to be the clutch....those new Michelin tires are going to stick like crazy and I don't want a new clutch.

My wife would kill me if I put more money into this car already so I am reluctant to give up the extra power until I know what a stock car feels like. I have only ever driven this 996TT.

Quick Reply: Flashed ECU value? Unknown program