Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car pulls right when I left off gas, why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car pulls right when I left off gas, why?

My 996GT2 is pulling to the right when I left off the gas. The alignment is perfect. Tires are in great shape. Could the problem be motor mounts?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dk996gt2
My 996GT2 is pulling to the right when I left off the gas. The alignment is perfect. Tires are in great shape. Could the problem be motor mounts?
My Turbo made a bit of a pull to the right, though I was braking at the time, and the cause turned out to be a right rear tire low on air, about 4 to 5 psi worth.

As has been already suggested motor mounts are of course suspect but be sure you investigate other possible causes too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

tire pressures are ok also.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has the car been corner balanced?
Brake pads dragging?
Rear differential issue?
Is it the same coasting in neutral and using engine braking?

If you repeat the test in Australia, does it pull to the other side?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing you can do is have someone follow your car. Have they pay close attention to your exhaust tips. Do a few accelerations and de-accelerations. Do they notice if the exhaust tips dive up & down? If so, this would further support your notion about worn motor mounts.

Lewis' comment about the differential is also a possibility.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

>Has the car been corner balanced?
yes, recently

>Brake pads dragging?
no

>Rear differential issue?
no

>Is it the same coasting in neutral and using engine braking?
there's no engine braking when in neutral

If you repeat the test in Australia, does it pull to the other side?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

I would guess that something is not correct with the alignment. It could be a ecentric that is slipping from not being tightened. I would also verify your corner balancing. Did they put weight on your seat and floorboard? 180lbs? 200 lbs?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry I wasn't clear.
I meant is the 'pulling' the same when coasting (neutral) and when decelerating under engine braking?
In other words, drivetrain loaded vs non loaded.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Is it a constant pull to the right or a short, sharp pull immediately after lifting off full throttle? Do the left and right tires have equal wear? I will get a lateral "snap" in my GT3 when lifting off quickly from full throttle if my rear tires have differing wear levels side-to-side (i.e. if I have been running on a primarily clockwise track and didn't rotate my tires side-to-side halfway through the weekend).

Jim
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
I would guess that something is not correct with the alignment. It could be a ecentric that is slipping from not being tightened. I would also verify your corner balancing. Did they put weight on your seat and floorboard? 180lbs? 200 lbs?
The car was scaled and aligned at a professional raceshop while I was present. The tracking and handling of the car is perfect other than the 'off-throttle' pull to right. Car was scaled with driver weight in seat and floorboard.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
sorry I wasn't clear.
I meant is the 'pulling' the same when coasting (neutral) and when decelerating under engine braking?
In other words, drivetrain loaded vs non loaded.
The pull only happens when I left of the gas pedal. Otherwise, the car tracks straight.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
dk996gt2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Is it a constant pull to the right or a short, sharp pull immediately after lifting off full throttle? Do the left and right tires have equal wear? I will get a lateral "snap" in my GT3 when lifting off quickly from full throttle if my rear tires have differing wear levels side-to-side (i.e. if I have been running on a primarily clockwise track and didn't rotate my tires side-to-side halfway through the weekend).
Only when I lift of throttle, from say 20% or more. I dismounted and swapped the tires left/right and the pull is in the same direction.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Only when I lift of throttle, from say 20% or more. I dismounted and swapped the tires left/right and the pull is in the same direction.
If tires are ok and this means not only is the air pressure is ok, the tires are matched (same brand, type, etc.), if directional mounted so the tires face the right direction, and the alignment is ok then all I can think of is some engine or drivetrain mount is to blame or there's a bushing failure at one of the suspension/drivetrain (or steering) links.

In this case I think your next step would be to revisit the shop that did the alignment and rely upon the expertise there to get some ideas.

One idea will probably mean getting the car into the air -- with the tires/wheels supporting the weight of the car -- and carefully checking for any looseness of any bushing/links and carefully checking for any signs of distress -- crumbly bushing rubber, rubber dust, signs of excessive movement at a bushing, and about a zillion other things. This involves among other things giving every link, rod, whatever a grasp and a good shake to try to locate any excessive or abnormal play or looseness.

If the above turns up nothing then again raising the car this time with the car's weight supported by the body's lift points and doing the same checks as above.

It is hard to imagine a cause of the car's pulling when simply lifting off the gas at something less than ballistic speeds not being rather obvious when the car is subjected to qualified and certainly an experienced professional's inspection.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: car pulls right when I left off gas, why?