Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance cost guess-timations

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh - did not realize that...just joined.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Considering a 996 Turbo @mid this year (2002-2004). Wanted to get a sanity check on maintenance costs as it would be a @9 year old car by the time I get into one.

I know it is hard to predict, but I am thinking of @$3k per year for routine and unexpected maintenance. I would do 75% of the wrenching myself, prolly put a bit under 10k miles on it per year. Would focus hard on an enthusiast owned vehicle with good history and PPI.

So this number would include:
Routine things like 1x-2x oil changes per year. New tires every other year. Brakes every @3 years. Filters, spark plugs, nagging little things every year.

Unexpected things that may be $500-$2,000 every other year or so.

Again, cannot anticipate or predict a large ticket bill...but does @$3k per year sound right for a car about this age? (If I don't spend it...then it becomes 'mod money' !)
$3K/year sounds a bit high, frankly, given 10K miles per year.

At 10K miles per year you'll likely get 2 years from the rear tires: I get 20K or so miles from my Turbos's rear tires and double that from the fronts.

Last set of 4 tires (Bridgestones I paid $1800 for the 4 mounted/balanced. Tire prices have gone up though since then.

Oil is around $8/quart -- I buy cases (6 quarts) from a local/nearby Mobil oil distributor and save about a dollar per quart over what the dealer charges. And my service contacts tell me Porsche supply prices -- this includes oil -- and service prices are going up soon, at least here in the bay area.

Since I do not have a real good place to change the oil so I've been having a local dealer change the oil in both of my cars but if you do this yourself, the cost is around $120 per oil change, including oil and filter and the necessary hardware (sealing rings, new filter housing o-ring and what have you).

My 03 with over 85K miles has not needed brakes yet so you might drive your car for 6 or more years before it needs brakes. I'll do the brakes when it is time.

Plugs every 48K miles (IIRC). Engine air filter every 2 years. Cabin filter ditto. Brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years. Tranny fluid change at 50K miles. Coolant drain/refill after 5 or 6 years.

I have not replaced any other items as preventative measures. A few things went wrong while the car was under CPO warranty but for the last 25K miles or so -- since the warranty expired -- the car has just required gas -- mileage ranges between 18/19 mpg in town and mid 20's mpg on the highway -- and oil/filter servicing (every 5K miles) and that's that.

Oh, and a set of rear tires.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Set aside 250/month over the life of the car. You won't need 250 every month, but when something breaks it can be expensive. Oh and there's upgrades as well. You can tell yourself you won't upgrade, but you'll just be lying to yourself
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add to mine front / Right Inner and Outer CV boots. :-(
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Rev3
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing you might want to think about if the car your buying has over 50k miles is a new clutch. That's going to run 2-3k depending on what the shop charges for labor. All things considered, the maintenance costs are pretty low for what your getting. Much cheaper than other super cars.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Based on your estimate of 10K miles/year, rear tires might need to be replaced every year especially if you do any suspension mods. Unless you track the car the brakes should last longer than 30K miles. Sounds like a reasonable budget.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Need to be a member (not registered only) to see it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...5-500-obo.html
I never understood that bit. I can see you need to be a member to sell/post the car but to view it seems to odd.

Would be great to have some info posted about the car where non-members can view. I know, I need to shell out the $ considering how long I have been here.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

don't forget brake fluid change every 2 years as well.

IIRC, RL member T2 posted his maintenance item schedule and cost.
He should be at 300,000 miles by now, so I think he would be a good benchmark for time/mileage induced costs.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maintaing the car was inexpensive.....

Then you get into MODS!!!!

24 moths or ownership. Between Mods and Maint...About $1000/mth.

I'm sure if I kept it longer, the avg cost would have lowered.

Good luck

PS. If you are planning to MOD the car, it's way cheaper to buy on that is already done and sorted.

Quick Reply: Maintenance cost guess-timations