Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and Salt Air/Car Cover question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I've never had an issue filling up my Turbo with the gas nozzle inserted in the normal fashion.
With my 03 Turbo it varies. Sometimes the tank fills ok other times the nozzle shuts off prematurely, sometimes gallons short of full. I can of course manually work the nozzle but often times I end up with some gas running out of the tank filler tube and I do not like to do that. This runs the risk of some raw fuel getting into the charcol canister and this can effect the charcol's ability to absorb gasoline fumes.

So, I just got into the habit of positioning the nozzle the way the picture shows. This last road trip didn't have one premature shut off and it seems based on the mileage numbers the shut off when it does happen results in a pretty consistent fill up.

As an aside, my Boxster is not nearly as sensitive to the nozzle as the Turbo is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Might add that unbeknownst to me at the time I was taking the picture the person opening the driver's door of the vehicle in the left of the picture turned out to be a rather good looking young woman.

I didn't see her until after I had taken the picture. As she got out of the car she looked over my way with a smile. I smiled back and was kind of wondering what's up (not that I mind getting a smile from a pretty woman) and it occurred to me that maybe she thought I was taking her picture.

Wish I had. While I love the looks of my Turbo, well, I did say she was a rather good looking yound woman, and I can take pics of my Turbo any old time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
As she got out of the car she looked over my way with a smile.
She liked your car, and she liked that you don't mind taking pictures of it (even at the pumps).
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 has occasional issues with the filler neck 'whatever' valve...turning the nozzle over allows it to run all the way to full... otherwise it will stop and be stupid for the last half of the fill. Not every time, but sometimes.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
My 2004 has occasional issues with the filler neck 'whatever' valve...turning the nozzle over allows it to run all the way to full... otherwise it will stop and be stupid for the last half of the fill. Not every time, but sometimes.
With what type of gas pump nozzle?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
You might have a partial blockage in the vent for the gas tank. I'm not sure where it is located, but I had that problem on one of my boats. It turned out that salt spray had partially sealed off the nozzel on the vent. I cleaned it out and the problem went away.

Quick Reply: Introduction and Salt Air/Car Cover question?