Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and Salt Air/Car Cover question?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Salt Air/Car Cover question?

Hello All,

I took the plunge and finally bought my first P car last week, 2001 TT with turbo and exhaust upgrades. I drove it home 800 miles to San Francisco - likely the longest single day journey of its life. Also, 12 hours of the most anxiety ridden ride of my life. As I had immediately loved the car, and also immediately bought bad 91 octane gas in Elko Nevada. After curing the Nevada freak out upon regaining cell service and sanity I had a smile on my face for the rest of the journey. Brought it home, second drive, broke down in downtown San Francisco when an idler pulley smoked out and threw the belt. I think I am almost fully initiated... do I see a speeding ticket in my near future?

In any event, as I reorganize my garage to appropriately accommodate the car I need to have the car outside in my drive - 2 blocks from the ocean and each AM there is likely to be salty dew left from the fog. Any advice on a car cover suitable for the outdoors now but won't unnecessarily smother it when I move it indoors? Or any other tips for that matter? I also intend on frequent hand washes with undercarriage washing.

Any other near Pacific Ocean owners want to give me some advice on long term ownership advice on the salt air? My answer would me to move for the sake of the car, but that't not a popular reason on the home front.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't cover it...any particulates trapped in the cover will then be ground against the paint as the cover moves in the wind/rain/sun...

Protect the paint with wax/sealant and then wash it regularly...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Alright, saving me money on my first post. Thanks!

K
Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by syncrofly
Hello All,

I took the plunge and finally bought my first P car last week, 2001 TT with turbo and exhaust upgrades. I drove it home 800 miles to San Francisco - likely the longest single day journey of its life. Also, 12 hours of the most anxiety ridden ride of my life. As I had immediately loved the car, and also immediately bought bad 91 octane gas in Elko Nevada. After curing the Nevada freak out upon regaining cell service and sanity I had a smile on my face for the rest of the journey. Brought it home, second drive, broke down in downtown San Francisco when an idler pulley smoked out and threw the belt. I think I am almost fully initiated... do I see a speeding ticket in my near future?

In any event, as I reorganize my garage to appropriately accommodate the car I need to have the car outside in my drive - 2 blocks from the ocean and each AM there is likely to be salty dew left from the fog. Any advice on a car cover suitable for the outdoors now but won't unnecessarily smother it when I move it indoors? Or any other tips for that matter? I also intend on frequent hand washes with undercarriage washing.

Any other near Pacific Ocean owners want to give me some advice on long term ownership advice on the salt air? My answer would me to move for the sake of the car, but that't not a popular reason on the home front.
Just keep the car clean and waxed. These cars have tough finishes.

BTW, I just returned from a nearly 5K mile road trip. While you were heading to SF on probably I-80 I was heading home mainly on I-40.

A familiar sight on my drive:

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. As long as the exposure is short term and you plan to move it indoors in the next few weeks it will be fine.

If you aren't going to drive it daily, you might consider a dehumidifier in your garage. I have a weekend house on the water in Galveston, and I keep the garage and storage areas dehumidified. It makes a big difference in how long stuff lasts in salty humid air.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

2 days worth of salt lol. Just wash it weekly.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:09 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster

A familiar sight on my drive.
Yeah, the upside-down filler nozzle?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
Yeah, the upside-down filler nozzle?
Why?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Easier to fill it up all the way... Common trick.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I've never had an issue filling up my Turbo with the gas nozzle inserted in the normal fashion.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I've never had an issue filling up my Turbo with the gas nozzle inserted in the normal fashion.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just figured this out 2 weeks ago. Maybe not so common, sure works better.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lance 4c
Easier to fill it up all the way.
Must be a model year issue, because I have never had a single problem filling up my '02 Turbo with the gas nozzle inserted just like in the picture I posted of my car above. I engage the handle retainer (to allow constant flow without having to hold the handle), step aside and wait for the auto shutoff, then squeeze an additional short shot of gas into the filler neck, and have gas at the very top of the neck, right at overflowing. It's always been just that easy.

All of our gas nozzles in the South are unobstructed pipes. They don't have the black rubber gas fume catching cover over the nozzle like California (and maybe other states) has. Maybe that's the difference.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the rubber gas fume thing in Houston. Its required in all EPA non-attainment areas I've never had a problem though. It fills right up with no problem.

I find it odd that you guys photograph your cars while getting gas though.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
We have the rubber gas fume thing in Houston. Its required in all EPA non-attainment areas I've never had a problem though. It fills right up with no problem.

I find it odd that you guys photograph your cars while getting gas though.
I was taking a picture of the gas prices.

Gas nozzle in Georgia...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduction and Salt Air/Car Cover question?