UMW stage 2 turbo installation completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default UMW stage 2 turbo installation completed

Just completed installing Kevin's turbos. Actually a fun and rewarding project. No stripped bolts or catastrophes. Started last Sunday, working a few hours after work each night. (OK, a few too late evenings, but it was good bonding time.) Had the flash done right after purchase in June, now, for the next stage. Unfortunately our local roads have been adulterated with Magnesium Chloride (deicer), so it will be a hard wait for the road test. Thanks Mike and Kevin for your help. The FPR would have been difficult to find were it not for Mike’s photos and narrative. Will update after I get the remapping done, break in, and boost on!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

How-to and companion pics? We've got to see the new jewels

Take it for a spin... that ****'ll wash off. JK.

Looking forward to your review of the new boost.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink UMW stage 2write up/photos

Initially, I had planned to have Kevin of UMW do the stage 2 install, since I am fortunate enough to live in Washington State. I wanted to make sure it was done right, and was afraid I would get into it, and find out I was over my head. This was not the case at all.

The job starts with an oil change. I use Mobil-1 turbo diesel.
If you follow the spark plug diy located on the 996 Turbo thread repository; the procedure (well illustrated and easy to follow) will get you to the point of accessing the turbos. These cars are so logically put together; they are quite easy to work on. (The 5 bar fuel pressure regulator install is a little tricky, for larger hands, but again, follow the diy located on our thread repository.)

Once the turbos are exposed, with some common sense and instructions supplied by Kevin, with the stage 2 kit, the r/r is pretty straight forward. The key is to thoroughly clean everything! The last thing you want is grime falling into the new units!!! Prior to the job, I pressure washed the under carriage. My car only has 10k on the clock, so it wasn’t too bad. After exposing the turbos, I blew off the loose grime, and then wiped off (brake-clean) all the tin and areas above and around the units. All the turbo hoses, clamps, etc. need to be spit-shined. The next key is to apply penetrating oil the day/night before tear-down (Aerokroil works awesome) to all the fasteners. (My biggest fear was to break or strip a key fastener- no problems here.) After removing the turbos, I took precaution to cover any open hoses, etc, for obvious reasons. The spark plug r/r is simple, when the turbos are out of the way. Make sure to double torque the plugs; 22 foot pounds initial torque, and then a re-torque to 24lbs. By the way, my plugs looked great at 10k miles-nice tan color.

The install of the new turbos is straight forward, slip in the new sealing rings, anti-seize to the new studs, and hand turn them in. I found it best to start with the most difficult to reach/wrench stud first, as I had trouble at first with starting the threads on the hard to reach stud the first time. The second unit went in twice as fast, as the learning curve is short. One has to be careful with the oil supply hoses, as it is best to thread in part way before installing studs. Speaking of oil supply, before installing the new turbos, you need to pull the c-4 fuse, and turn the engine over to prime, and purge all of the old oil out of the supply lines, prior to installing to the new units. I pumped out about ¾ of a quart each side, until the oil flowed clean! Double check all fitting and hoses, and bolts, making sure to not forget something stupid. Prime engine once again to supply oil to the turbo sumps. After hooking up i/c hoses and all necessary components, I started the engine to check for leaks. Yippee, there were no leaks.

I am now waiting for the new file to arrive tuned to the new hybrid turbos. I am so happy with the improved performance gains from the flash Kevin performed on my stock setup, (installed 4k miles ago)! Now I anticipate the next level with eagerness. As soon as I do break in, I will give updates. Sorry I didn’t take more photos along the way, but my hands were too greasy.

(It appears from the photo, that the car is resting on the wheel. This is not the case, it is only there for safety, a few inches below the cross-member.)
Attached Images      

Last edited by Lance 4c; 12-18-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: add comment about tire.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Lance, You're quite welcome. You have my number, so call if you need anything else. Kevin's stuff is legit, and you won't be disappointed...

Mike
Old 12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your going to be stoked! those turbos
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM
kato1453
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only went with the Stage 1 package and added an EP STG 2 Quiet and WOW!!
Completely different car, I can see why Porsche doesn't make them this way from the factory.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally jealous.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kato1453
I only went with the Stage 1 package and added an EP STG 2 Quiet and WOW!!
Completely different car, I can see why Porsche doesn't make them this way from the factory.
Do you mean you can't see why Porsche doesn't make them this way?

Me neither!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance 4c
Do you mean you can't see why Porsche doesn't make them this way?

Me neither!
Way to go Lance These csrs are meant to be driven and the more you drive them the more you want to drive them. It's hard for me to under stand the garage queen concept as they never get to enjoy these machines and all that for what, few $$$$

Enjoy but be safe.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink break in time

Last night I put 37 miles on the car; following Kevin's recommendations to stay off boost. It feels so funny rolling off the stop lights, easing into the throttle-imagining what the kids are thinking- "look at that old geezer- what a waste of machinery. Anyway, the streets are looking clean. Our city has been sweeping the gravel off the roads, and the mag. choride residue looks minimal, so what else can one do, but drive the car. I am glad to say, no leaks.

C2, how's the 997 treating you???
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've recently had Kevin's Stage 2A kit installed. It hauls ****!

A shake down run to do some logging at the local drag strip (we don't have a 'mexico' here in Australia) showed a 11.7@127 mph pass easing it off the line so as to not knock the computer and USB cable around off the line. (read an easy 2.0 60'fter and not rowing through the gears at fully pace. So there is more ET and trap speed to be had).

Most importantly, the car has a BOAT load of torque and power under the curve. It really transforms the initial pick up and mid range of the car and makes it run how it should from the factory IMO.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Update

Logged 242 miles break-in on the new stage 2, just before new mapping arrived this afternoon. Installed update, and, wouldnt you know it, it started raining. Likely a blessing, as it kept me really mellow allowing the ecu to adapt. I will say, even with a light foot, 2/3rd gear spinning tires are very hard not to do Will give an update as soon as better conditions allow. Thanks Kevin!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM
kato1453
Advanced

I feel people could get into trouble with the power that Kevin adds !!
The pics look like a stock exhaust, needs a Europipe on the end of the new turbos!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM
watsonj0
Instructor

I really need to look at my stage 2a setup as I don't get the kind of performance you are seeing. Kevin told me I need to adjust the waste gates but i won't get to this until spring now ;(
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default break in is over, roads are drivable

Now that the excruciating break in is over, the car really drives nice. The power is more linear, throttle response much better, coming out of 2/3 gear corners; the front end really lightens up-feels like it wants to wheelie. (It reminds me of the feeling I used to get from my motocross bikes). This is what I was looking for in a car; excess power that makes you feed it in, rather than just being able to stomp on it. It really makes you wonder why Porsche didn’t release them this way from the factory. This is what Kevin means by "power under the curve". It is much more than just peak power. (oh, and most of the power increases in 4th thru 6th gear. This is where you umm, might exceed the legal speed limit if not extra careful Just for a moment I would love to revert it back to stock, or drive a stock one again only for a side/side comparison. Anyway, I can feel the addiction, as improvements only whet the appetite for more. (did I say that out loud???)

Last edited by Lance 4c; 12-31-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added 4-6 gear comment

Quick Reply: UMW stage 2 turbo installation completed