Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 255 Posts

Well, it's not "that" inexpensive either!

I already have the bumper cover, the three air inlet trim pieces, lower lip and upper grille piece. After pouring over Mike's DIY (thanks!) and others I figured all the other parts needed to do it properly as factory designed will run another $3,350 and then there is paint.

It's got me rethinking going in this direction all together.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbossolo
A question for you gents:
At our last DE hit a cone at a high rate of speed, did some damage to the front bumper near the edge of the left radiator grill opening. It's fixable, but I've been thinking of going the GT2 route.
For those of you that have done it, have you gone OEM, or aftermarket?
If "option b", what brand?
I'm also gonna do the rear GT2 (fixed) wing, liking the one from better bodies, along with their "GT3" ram air lip.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Jose
take a look at the options available here: http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml
I personally like the cup front bumper and rear wing. Makes a difference at the track too.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
Well, it's not "that" inexpensive either!

I already have the bumper cover, the three air inlet trim pieces, lower lip and upper grille piece. After pouring over Mike's DIY (thanks!) and others I figured all the other parts needed to do it properly as factory designed will run another $3,350 and then there is paint.

It's got me rethinking going in this direction all together.
While I agree with Mike about the proper way to do it, it depends on your goals. His goals may not be yours or mine. I merely wanted a different look and the opportunity (scratched bumper) was there. There is no voodoo in just changing the cover. Everything is still there as with the turbo front and your car is not going to implode or veer off the road suddenly. :-)

I could never in a million years justify spending the extra $3-4k on moving the radiator. That's way too much go-fast money to non-go-fast parts ratio for me!

So if you just want a new look, don't sweat it in my opinion. If you want to do a full conversion to get the proper aero and small amount of down force, then spend the $$$. Either way it is your car and your decision!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

raineycd ~ You're right. I'll probably "dry" fit it and see what it'll take just to mount it properly and whether there'll be any issues or not. Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Rainy... That's where it's all wrong... It's not a "small" amount of downforce. It's huge. It's huge because of where the downforce is placed and why. You're a trackday guy and you're missing a HUGE amount of benefit to getting rid of that understeer upfront by not making that opening leading the hood functional.

We all have different goals, for sure, and different economic circumstances... But before I'd make more power, I'd make a better handling chassis. It'll be a far better platform to build power onto. It's that simple.

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
raineycd
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Rainy... That's where it's all wrong... It's not a "small" amount of downforce. It's huge. It's huge because of where the downforce is placed and why. You're a trackday guy and you're missing a HUGE amount of benefit to getting rid of that understeer upfront by not making that opening leading the hood functional.

Mike
How much downforce is it? I think I remember someone quoting 20lbs?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
raineycd
Racer

Found some stats - were talking 5-10 lbs at over 125mph. I would rather put that $3-4k into a front splitter before the rad move mod.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post1128235
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Dude, if you don't understand where that downforce is placed and why it's so important, then you did the right thing by not spending the money for the last few bits to get the benefit.

And for the record, it's 5KG front and 12KG rear at 186mph. If you ever get a chance to get in a wind tunnel and watch air flow, it'll explain a lot more about why these things are important.

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
raineycd
Racer

Dude, if you don't understand where that downforce is placed and why it's so important, then you did the right thing by not spending the money for the last few bits to get the benefit.

And for the record, it's 5KG front and 12KG rear at 186mph. If you ever get a chance to get in a wind tunnel and watch air flow, it'll explain a lot more about why these things are important.

Mike
There is no need for a personal attack Mike. My goals were not about adding downforce. It was about getting a new front for my car that looked better. Not everyone had your same desires. Sheesh
Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Dude it really wasn't meant as a personal attack. Aerodynamics are something you either get or you don't. The point above was simply to state that it's a much bigger deal than a simple statement about the amount of downforce. It's where the downforce is. It's right at the leading edge of the hood infront of the steering rack/front axle. Porsche spent a large amount of engineering dollars in every piece of that integrated front aerodynamic package. It was engineered specifically to work well with the rear wing and the ride height/wheels/suspension geometry. All those plastic bits hidden under the bumper cover truly make it all worthwhile.

Sorry if I offended you for assuming that you didn't understand the true benefit to the mod.

Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Porsche spent a large amount of engineering dollars in every piece of that integrated front aerodynamic package. It was engineered specifically to work well with the rear wing and the ride height/wheels/suspension geometry. All those plastic bits hidden under the bumper cover truly make it all worthwhile.

Mike
So it sounds like if someone does the front end properly without replacing the rear wing that perhaps the aerodynamics would be out of balance. Adding a GT2 wing has also been part of my vision so that wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think I'd be that concerned about it on the street but on the track I'd be paying attention. I'm not a track guy but who knows about the furtue?

I've always been a simpleton but usually go by the axiom of, "If you're going to do something, do it right." So now it's between me and my wallet..... and Santa!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Sanyata, Yes... but the other issue this added downforce helps with is understeer. Some guys assume slapping a splitter on is the answer, but it isn't if it isn't matched with the right wing and suspension setup, it could be a real big problem... Matched front and rear components are pretty critical... And aero isn't something one should guess with.

Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Another option is that you could alway go with the RUF Rturbo front bumber which is very very similar to the GT2 bumper. It is designed in a wind tunel and made to integrate with the OEM 996tt hardware perfectly and function at at over 200mph on the autobahn. It was actually tested and run at Nardo Italy in excess of 230 mph in the Rturbo so aerodynamically it works. It's also made in Germany out of the same material as the OEM and GT2 bumpers. The cost is around $3K plus shipping and you don't need all the supporting GT2 pieces to function properly... My car is the 550 Rturbo so it has the rest of the RUF aero package which obviously is important as far as downforce goes like Mike has mentioned

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-28-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a nice car there "hound", lovely color!
I already ordered the GT2 front from Precision Porsche.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
That's a nice car there "hound", lovely color!
I already ordered the GT2 front from Precision Porsche.
Thanks. I didn't know you already bought one. Just figured I would mention in for those looking to get a "GT2" bumper that is OEM quality and designed to work aerodynamically with the underlying OEM 996tt hardware....

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-28-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Quick Reply: GT2 front bumper