Sponsored by:

High mileage 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:42 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

According to the internet, specifically a google search, the distance from the Earth to the Moon is 238,900 miles. A round trip journey is then 477,800 miles. Deduct the current distance traveled leaves a remainder of 54,638 miles until I am back to Earth. At an average mileage per month of ~4500 miles I should be back here sometime in the next 12.14 months.....Give or take a few days.

This is about the point in the show where they queue up the Talking Heads song "We're on the Road to Nowhere"..........

I am not responsible for you humming that song to yourself for the rest of the day!!

T2
The following users liked this post:
911user (03-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Impressive.

Can't even match that if I add my Boxster's (285K) and Turbo's (124K) miles together.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look forward to your return lol.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
bravo! i am thinking at 118750 mine has just broken in.

keep on keeping on and may the wind be at your back.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,447 Likes on 1,551 Posts

Damn that is impressive.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just catching up on this thread... but that bit about the engine is really incredible!!
T2 - what part of the country do you live?

Originally Posted by T2
Guys,

Here are some pictures from this morning. It is sitting with the winter tires and rims on it, the front lip is removed for the winter season also. As you can see it is covered / crusted in salt and dirt.

I've added some photos of the exterior, the interior seats and of course one of the dash showing the current mileage on the odometer. I know a lot of you were curious about the exterior and interior condition.

The exterior has held up great considering the mileage. I had an unfortunate meeting with a deer about a year ago - the passengers front fender and passengers door got banged up pretty good - car was fine and completely drivable. The fender and door were replaced at that point. While it was in I had all the exterior cosmetic stuff cleaned up - paint the bumper cover and lip and the rear bumper cover as well. In general you will see some stone chips downstream of all four tires from the winter driving - I got all that stuff cleaned up at that point.

The interior has never been touched up and anything - it is totally original as delivered - minus the steering wheel recover (done at the factory in Germany). As you can see the passenger seat is barely worn and the drivers side shows some signs of age. I'm lucky I get to wear blue jeans to work about 90% of the time so the seats have not been exposed to much other than blue cotton, machine wash. I see cars with far fewer miles with seats worn badly - my only theory is that those cars saw dry cleaned pants every day and the chemicals finally got to the leather.

This past summer I had the engine dropped and rebuilt. I had a couple of minor oil leaks and one turbo had a broken actuator arm inside the turbo housing that caused a very annoying rattle and all the boost from it was dumped. My intention was to rebuild the engine while it was out. What we found when we got inside the engine was a near perfect condition. There was only a light shadowing on a couple of the rod bearings, cams looked like new. The heads were taken apart and the mechanic mic'd the valves and said that everyone spec'd to a brand new valve dimensionally. There were still hatch marks inside the cylinder sleeves, chain guides were barely worn. Lifters looked like new also. My mechanic only works on Porsche's - he's been doing so for many decades. He and the mechanic who performed the rebuild were in amazement at what we found - it is a testament to the build quality of these engines. Once we were in to do this work I thought it would be short sighted to not replace all the components with new items so that is what we did. The crank, cams and block, heads are all original. We used factory parts for everything. I did also replace the main wiring harness.

Hind sight being 20/20 we could have easily buttoned up the leaks and replaced the turbo's and wiring harness and moved on.

Now to the oil question. This car is driven nearly everyday - at least at some point or another. My commute and most of the driving around town takes me about 10-15 minutes of 60 MPH driving to and from the house - cops ticket over 60 here. It affords me a chance to properly warm up and cool down the car. I have used Mobil 1 0W-40 exclusively in this car up until about 16 months before the rebuild - the mechanic recommended 5W-40 Motul I think it was 8100. After the rebuild we had that oil in and I noticed intermittent / occasional smoke at start-up (sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both - hot / cold - there was no rhyme or reason), I switched to Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT and still had smoke, although a lot less. I finally recently went back to Mobil 1 0W-40 and have virtually no smoke at all. In thinking about the mileage on the engine and what we found when we got into the rebuild I went back to what got me what I thought was a near perfect engine internally at 372,000+ miles, Mobil 1 0W-40, it looked like it protected that engine very well and there I will stay. It should be noted I change the oil religiously every 5000 miles.

I expect to pass 400,000 miles in about 6 weeks or so. It's been a great journey and one I had dreamed about since I was a young kid (I always wanted a 911 Turbo) - I was (am) that kid in the commercials.

My experience is but one data point not something to take as the law of the land. Have I been lucky - sure have. I believe in driving and maintaining a car as the factory recommends - when things break I fix them.

I hope your experience is similar.

T2 - continues to knock on wood!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there any reason you could not go to the million miles at this rate ? There are enough of these cars that spares should not be a problem for a long time ( unlike 964 turbos ) .
http://www.petrolicious.com/meet-the...6-daily-driver
I remember a US Volvo P1800 that went past 3 million with an engine rebuild or two and
I think Some manufactures give the owner a new car at 1 million .
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Is there any reason you could not go to the million miles at this rate ? There are enough of these cars that spares should not be a problem for a long time ( unlike 964 turbos ) .
I remember a US Volvo P1800 that went past 3 million with an engine rebuild or two and
I'd have bet Porsche would have wanted to buy the car back after 1 mil km had he not of rebuild the motor.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:41 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

Volvo guy is Irv Gordon, I've talked to him a few years ago, IIRC he has rebuilt the complete engine once and the cylinder head an additional time... Volvo has given him(or at least offered to) a car of his choice a few years back.
Keep'er going T2!

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Old 09-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Drew959
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noporsche
I'm considering jumping back into the p-car game and found a deal on a lightly modded 01 TT with a fair amount of miles. He has a stack of receipts and some recent maintenance. I'm just curious are there any you guys who have 90k+ miles? I'm used to maintaining german cars so out of the ordinary are there any things to expect. I'd hate to purchase it drive it and have it take a dump on me. Let me know your thoughts~!
Saw one the other day at Tim's which has 80k+ miles and does the TX mile in 227+

another with 130k miles and 650 awhp that is a track car that looks great.

Maintenance is the key to any car
Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 107 Posts

I just lost an 01 996tt to a deer/telephone pole and with 111k miles it had perfect leak down and drove amazing.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about the car/Deer, I missed one recently by inches at about 100 mph (PCCB saved the day).. well actually I mean I am sorry about your car not the varmint
Old 12-16-2015, 04:45 PM
tx996tt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2,
Amazing mileage and thank you for sharing. Can you post an update?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 to an update!

i also have hit a deer in my last one. rolled right over the bonnet!

Quick Reply: High mileage 996 TT?