Sponsored by:

Anyone Familiar with Tier One extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Familiar with Tier One extended warranty

I am looking at a 2002 Turbo, 50k miles, that has an extended warranty until 2/14 with Tier One (owner says its the highest level of policy they write which I will confirm and that Porsche dealers accept this warranty). Does anyone have an experience with this company. It's a very nice car and the coverage would be a bonus. (And yes this means the 993 cab will have to be sold)

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I have a hard time understanding how a company can be viable selling warranties on 9 year old cars with 50k+ miles....

And if you agree, then one needs to think that they will be VERY hard to pin down if you do have any issues. Search for "Tier one" and "Scam". They'll pay some minor claims, but any serious stuff and you are SOL.

Also, DO understand the fine print on payments- do not rely on verbal responses (like "do porsche dealers accept this"). Read the fine print- ON THE CONTRACT and not on the 'brochure'. For all you know it is not assumable...

Good luck with the hunt. Extended warranties on 9 year old cars are generally scams....

I'd give the warranty zero value.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check this out:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-war...lure-689bc.htm
Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Another reason to go CPO.

I happen to know of a sweet Slate Grey 2003 Turbo with CPO warranty
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

I have a warranty - extended service plan on my tt, and it has been fantastic. It runs out in Jan. I called to find out about others and I learned it is more important to get a printed list of what it covers than a list of what it doesn't cover that begins with "not limited to". I was unable to find anything as comprehensive as what it has now, so I will be going "out of pocket" from Jan. forward.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Jerrett
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
I have a warranty - extended service plan on my tt, and it has been fantastic. It runs out in Jan. I called to find out about others and I learned it is more important to get a printed list of what it covers than a list of what it doesn't cover that begins with "not limited to". I was unable to find anything as comprehensive as what it has now, so I will be going "out of pocket" from Jan. forward.
There's a huge difference between an "exclusionary" warrantee and an "inclusionary" warrantee. I’m guessing you currently have an exclusionary and are being warned about an inclusionary.
Exclusionary warrantees will cover everything on the car except the items spelled out as exclusions, similar to how most factory warrantees work. Inclusionary warrantees are the opposite…they only cover the items that are specifically spelled out. Because of that, you have to be more diligent when shopping for inclusionary warrantees but you can save a lot of money since they tend to be cheaper than exclusionary warrantees.
I’ve bought 3rd party inclusionary warrantees on my last two cars, including my 02 996tt and have come out WAY ahead in both cases. For the Porsche, I bought the warrantee a week after I bought my car last year (which, at the time was 9 years old and had 55k miles). Filed my first claim 4 months later and got my entire tranny rebuilt and a rental car while I waited…no questions asked, no hassles.
There are reputable 3rd party warrantee companies out there offering coverage on our cars…just need to research them a bit. I’d suggest contacting your local high end car dealers and independent repair shops to see which 3rd party company warrantee companies they’ve had good experiences working with.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
I learned it is more important to get a printed list of what it covers than a list of what it doesn't cover that begins with "not limited to". I was unable to find anything as comprehensive as what it has now, so I will be going "out of pocket" from Jan. forward.

It is imperative to get a copy of the POLICY and understand ALL aspects of coverage and not just the silly 'parts list'.

Most 'description of coverages' list parts, or list what is excluded...but then say "*See policy for important terms and limitations."..and then you see that there are exclusions that describe HOW parts fail or other important conditions that are not as simply as "part:covered".

Most companies will NOT send you a policy in advance- you must buy and have 30 days to return it- so you never can really shop. Further, the language is so broad that they can decline coverage at their will...

Look at the bright side: you can mod all you want now!

Quick Reply: Anyone Familiar with Tier One extended warranty