Sponsored by:

Question re Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Question re Boost Controller

My new to me 996tt has an HKS EVC V Black Edition boost controller in it. I have had it turned off since I bought the car (6wks ago) and yesterday I brought the car to a state of the art dyno/data logging shop run by a couple of German guys who tune Pcar engines for EU race teams.

The logging reveals that at around 4k rpm, timing is being pulled back to zero on the base map, which causes the hp to take a good size dip for about 1000rpm.

I think this has been done to accommodate the increased boost from the controller.

I'm not into the EVC at all and at some pt I will remove it, but in the meantime, is there any difference to the car between removing it and keeping it off?

The dyno and logging revealed that absent the EVC that the tune is nice and safe, but can be improved forsure over the range where the timing is pulled back. Peaked at around 500 at the engine after drivetrain losses are accounted for (which were also measured).

Difference between keeping EVC off and removing it?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

We did one pull with the EVC on. It went to 1.5bar and put down 575 lb/ft at the wheel and 555whp. This dyno is said to be the best in eastern north America. Incredible set up!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

If you are pulling timing with the EBC off, how much timing are you pulling with the boost controller on? 1.5 bars and pump gas usually don't have happy endings.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I know! Which is why it's off and will stay off. I don't have the logs in hand today to know if it is different than the base - my best guess is that the base tune pulls back timing to accomodate the boost controller and that the timing pull back isn't necessary with the EVC off. But I've been wary of the EVC the whole time so aside from the difference between removing it and keeping it off, it's not that relevant to me.

When you install an EVC, do you have to disengage anything of value?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

ya 1.5 on pump gas = kaboom, lower the boost or keep it off. The person you bought it from should have told you a bit more about it but a simple turn of the **** will bring boost to reality such aas 1.1 bar or so. It depends on who tuned the car and etc. get more info might be a useful tool for later

Quick Reply: Question re Boost Controller