Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduction of the engine rattle that many 996 turbos exibit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 AM
innovator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx

I still listen to my mechanic. You stop the clattering with one hand, only to extend the clattering to the next part in line.
All due respect to your mechanic. However, that is not true !

I'm sure there are those that intend to keep the car until 200,00, but how many of us plan to do that? Maybe if you drove 200 miles a day I could see racking up that mileage, but it would likely be all easy hi way miles which would attribute to higher mileage potential. ..

0w-40 is a blanket oil that is better in cold climates than it is in hot. I've been working on engines my entire life, and I don't know one engine builder that would recommend it. Of course I don't know any engine builders in Finland

Besides, 5w-40 and 5w-50 are approved by Porsche. Why do you think they would approve an oil that was not safe to use? Don't let the diesel aspect of the oil that we are discussing throw you off. Rotella T6 and Delvac ESP are very high quality oils with additives that keep it more stable and have many other benefits in our engines as well . And it is a true 5w-40.

If however you are satisfied with what you are using, then you should continue to do what makes you comfortable, and I am not suggesting otherwise.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So let me try to understand what you said.....

You don't like (Mobil 1) 0W-40 because it is like water when it's hot.
So, you chose to run (multiple vendors) 5W-40 instead.

I guess the 5W-40 is a different 40W than the 0W-40?

Opinions on oil viscosity are like a&$holes ... Everyone has one and they all stink.
But they are amazingly similar, across every forum.

Coming up after the commercial, the differences in formulations over time for the same brand's viscosity.....
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Come on Lewis, then what would everybody argue about? By the way, is the Cayenne an acceptable tow vehicle?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Let's face it. That rattle is normal for this car. I don't like to hear it get too loud, but it is part of the "Charm" and the oil can make a difference in the noise. Yet this is one of the most reliable and durable super cars on the road.

All I know is that when I mash the go pedal, I really like what happens next. When I accelerate through a sweeper or goose the pedal in a tight turn, the handling is sublime.

Quitchyer bitchin' and drive the damn car.
I'm so tired of people claiming every PROBLEM with their cars is part of the "charm". Sorry, holey headers on f355s is not charm. 996s with bad IMS bearings is not charm. 997s with bad HPFPs is not charm. and 996 turbos that sound like clapped out diesel trucks at idle is not charm. Its a modern, $130k (when new) luxury vehicle. It simply should not sound like this, period. This ignores the fact that this is an engine that has been in production for years, and is from what is known as a renowned engineering company.

Its unacceptable. You can choose to ignore it and "drive the damn car", but when something fails and porsche tells you to go scratch and you get the $20k repair bill, perhaps you may be singing a different tune.

Originally Posted by ltc

Opinions on oil viscosity are like a&$holes ... Everyone has one and they all stink.

Coming up after the commercial, the differences in formulations over time for the same brand's viscosity.....
You know, I'm assuming, that one 40w is not the same as another 40w. Within the 40w category, there is a somewhat substantial range of viscosities.

For instance, German castrol Syntec 0w-30 is basically a 40wt, while Mobil 5w-30 is much closer to a 20wt.

I don't understand why people are so scared of running a different oil. I've yet to see an engine experience catastrophic problems because someone ran one synthetic oil (diesel or otherwise) of a similar weight instead of the recommended oil. I think just about everybody agrees that M1 is not the best oil out there.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
innovator
Advanced

Not all 40 weight is the same. There are many different base stocks and additives than can substantially change the oils properties at operating temperature.

Btw, I am a very well versed on the effects of oil on engines, being in the business for over 20 years, so I would hope my opinion isn't worthless or like someone's *******.

Again, if you like what you are using, keep using it!

Originally Posted by ltc

Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Come on Lewis, then what would everybody argue about? By the way, is the Cayenne an acceptable tow vehicle?
Acceptable only if wearing a H&N restraint
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You meant to say HANS correct?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
You meant to say HANS correct?
You're very good
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by innovator
All due respect to your mechanic. However, that is not true !

I'm sure there are those that intend to keep the car until 200,00, but how many of us plan to do that? Maybe if you drove 200 miles a day I could see racking up that mileage, but it would likely be all easy hi way miles which would attribute to higher mileage potential. ..

0w-40 is a blanket oil that is better in cold climates than it is in hot. I've been working on engines my entire life, and I don't know one engine builder that would recommend it. Of course I don't know any engine builders in Finland

Besides, 5w-40 and 5w-50 are approved by Porsche. Why do you think they would approve an oil that was not safe to use? Don't let the diesel aspect of the oil that we are discussing throw you off. Rotella T6 and Delvac ESP are very high quality oils with additives that keep it more stable and have many other benefits in our engines as well . And it is a true 5w-40.

If however you are satisfied with what you are using, then you should continue to do what makes you comfortable, and I am not suggesting otherwise.
Well, I do live in a colder climate. However the concept you quoted is definitely not wrong. It is basic physics, unless oil is capable of stablizing movement about the concentric axis of the part in question - which it is not.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arguing about which oil is the right oil is like arguing about which bottled water is best. Use what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. If your engine is going to fail due to oil, chances are it will be an oil flow caused issue not a viscosity or weight issue. If you want to know which oil is right contact a reputable builder and do blackstones. If you are superstitious you should check rune stones or ask a psychic which oil to use. Their has never been a conclusive discussion here on oil ever. If rotella works for you and you hear less noise, run it. If you are on the fence run it and DO A BLACKSTONE ANALYSIS!!!

If anyone here wants something to worry about, how about the lifter failures that have actually happened? Or the debt ceiling? Darfur? Or the economy?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
If anyone here wants something to worry about, how about the lifter failures that have actually happened? Or the debt ceiling? Darfur? Or the economy?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
innovator
Advanced

There is not a damn thing we can do about that though, aside from voting the current administration out.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by innovator
There is not a damn thing we can do about that though, aside from voting the current administration out.
Listen, I am with you. I have been down this road. I was not able to find one confirmed engine failure caused by IMS rattle. The engine you linked in the video was torn down, rebuilt and the IMS replaced. It caused the noise to go away for a while. At least until the engine broke in. I believe that the noise your engine makes with different oils is a sign of one particular characteristic of the said oil. The only to really tell what all the characteristics are is with oil burn tests over a period. if you want to be cautious and and proactive, change your oil every 3000 miles with 5w40 synthetic with a good additive package and check your filter every oil change for metal. I am not disagreeing with your thoughts or concerns, I am just saying it has been beat to death with zero results. If you get good results with what you are doing in the long term, prove it with data. But the whole "I feel good about this oil" thing will only lead into an argument with no actual data. And a whole bunch of people stressing more than enjoying their cara. Trust me.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmn, data.
No, that would never work here.

Blackstone Oil Analysis...
How many? How often?
What does the data correspond and correlate to in the mechanical world of the engine?
At what point, time, level do you tear apart your engine to avoid the catastrophic event which the oil analysis is predicting?

Looks like we're going to need more Preparation H.

Every forum seems to have these no win threads.
The Mayan calendar can probably predict the life of a 996 Turbo engine with 0W-40 better than the human ear or Blavkstone labs.

Quick Reply: Reduction of the engine rattle that many 996 turbos exibit.