Sponsored by:

Two questions on removal of dash trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Two questions on removal of dash trim

Looks like my right side carbon fiber top dash trim that is in front of the defrost vent has lost it adhesive, and has warped. Since the replacement part is the whole front right section just in front of the speakers and in front of the main dash and just under the led light, and contains the defroster vent and diffusers, what does it take to remove this front section?
Secondly, tried to remove the right air vent, removed the two screws on the side, and the one behind the sensor cover, and could not remove when pulled. I don't want to pull to hard in fear of breakage.

Anyone have any experience in these two areas. Help is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help on the front dash piece, but the side vent should come right out. It fits inside the duct work and the friction may be holding it in place. It should pop right out once the screws are out.

It's kind of a PITA to get back in though. They vent control mechanism kept coming unhooked when I slid mine back in. I finally got it after about a dozen tries.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Thanks, so I will give it a harder pull!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does just pull out, but make sure that you are careful with the airflow controller (the wheel on the front) - I broke mine one of the times I pulled the vent out. (I have replaced that trim TWICE now!).
In order to get the top trim piece off, you will also have to remove the A pillar trim - it also just pulls off.
All of this is such a PITA - the carbon fiber stuff just doesn't seem to want to stick down. I would recommend going with the plain version, rather than the cf version, since it seems inevitible that it will pull up again...
By the way, you will find that the cf becomes pliable with just a bit of heat, either from a heat gun or possibly even a hair dryer - you could try to glue it down with some type of adhesive. I ended up doing that on my vent pieces when they delaminated.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reponses!

Quick Reply: Two questions on removal of dash trim