Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I expect from a UMW flash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I expect from a UMW flash?

So, I have this 2005 Turbo S that I absolutely love. It's my daily driver - although my "commute" is only 5 miles. It's a Tip. I don't intend on tracking the car and want to keep it in top shape for years to come. I would like less lag and a little more power...

I've read about how great Kevin's flashes are. What can I expect from a UMW flash? I'm not considering any other changes at this time. How does it change the driving characteristics of the car? More fun as a DD? Less? Can I easily switch it back to stock when needed? What am I not asking that I should?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fodowsky
So, I have this 2005 Turbo S that I absolutely love. It's my daily driver - although my "commute" is only 5 miles. It's a Tip. I don't intend on tracking the car and want to keep it in top shape for years to come. I would like less lag and a little more power...

I've read about how great Kevin's flashes are. What can I expect from a UMW flash? I'm not considering any other changes at this time. How does it change the driving characteristics of the car? More fun as a DD? Less? Can I easily switch it back to stock when needed? What am I not asking that I should?

Thanks for the help!
Actually, you should just call Kevin and ask him. The one thing that you will hear from everyone is that he gives it to you straight.

You could also do a search here. There are several guys who just got his tune, and they were really happy.

I have his Stage 2A on my car, and I'm very happy with it.

Jon
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
Actually, you should just call Kevin and ask him. The one thing that you will hear from everyone is that he gives it to you straight.

You could also do a search here. There are several guys who just got his tune, and they were really happy.

I have his Stage 2A on my car, and I'm very happy with it.

Jon
What does Stage 2A mean vs Stage 2?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

I will contact Kevin. I hear that folks are happy. Just wanting to hear details from those who have his flash how it changes the daily driving characteristics of the car.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:49 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
What does Stage 2A mean vs Stage 2?
I am pretty sure that the Stage 2 is a K16/K24 compressor combo. The Stage 2A is K16/997 GT2 compressor, both zero clearance. Kevin has posted dyno curves from the Stage 2A with upgraded fueling, intercoolers and I forget what else, making 610+ at the wheels. I don't think that the Stage 2 can reach that level.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I replaced my GIAC flash with Kevin's, so I can compare stock X50 to two very different products. First, the Imagine Auto/GIAC tune was a joke. As far as i could tell, it only bumped the redline, without meaningful performance enhancement.
Kevin's tune is entirely different. You will build boost faster, have more torque down low, and enjoy improved drivability as well as performance. I have seen absolutely no downside. if I were you, I'd ask him what he recommends for you, then take his advice. I only wish I had done that first.
Word of caution: Kevin is not a salesman, so he doesn't hype anything. In fact, he understates his product. But, he is a seriously hard worker, honest as the day is long, and knows his stuff. Do what he says, and you will be more than satisfied. AS

Last edited by 1AS; 08-13-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 AM
SaintGt2
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin's tune, exhaust and good fuel made me run 11.39@130mph.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's put it this way...you won't feel like a new turbo is worth the money. His stuff is actually a great economic move from this point of view.

My goal is to someday have the 2A kit in my car.

Right now I have K16's. I have his LWFW and clutch, his BOV, etc.

Everything UMW to date has been rock solid. Kevin is super nice on the phone and really educated me about a lot of things turbo when I was new...I still follow his advice on cool down, etc.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-14-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's put it this way...you won't feel like a new turbo is worth the money.
After spanking a brand-new 997 GT2 at the track in my "lowly" 2002 X50 (with just one of Kevin's "1.1 Bar" flashes) I can testify to that. With my newly installed stage 2A package it should be even more ridiculous. Kevin is the man.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just flashed with Kevin's tune this morning. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but am looking forward to it!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Expect perfection. He is a local guy and thoroughly tests these pups...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM
z99
Instructor

I tried installing his software. But, my ecu was a mess and we ran into some complications. All I can say is Kevin got right on it and is taking care of the problem. He must of spend hours on the phone with me and has stood by the process. He is fixing the inherited mess and going beyond. After years of modding car after car, Kevin truly stands out.

No comparison to other tuners. What you can expect is a great product with great customer service.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

Thanks everyone... I am working thru details and options with Kevin. Will let you know how this works out.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

I will also strongly suggest that you consider a Europiep Stage 2 QUIET in the future. Stock -like noise levels, a very noticeable change in performance.... You can do a flash for now, but I'm just saying like Christmas-time...

A
Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Deckman,

Have you driven it yet?

Quick Reply: What can I expect from a UMW flash?