Whine sound 01 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
coolice232
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine sound 01 996tt

hello

when i drive around 60mile i hear a whining nose from the back of the car not very loud ,from reading in this forum is can be a PS problem.However,my car is a tiptronic so i cant pressue the cluch to check if the sound goes away

is PS issue happens only to manual cars ?could it happen also to a car with tiptronic ? how can i diagnose this problem

i dont hear the voice is the car is not moving

thanks and regards
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Moved to the 6 turbo forum.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

First be sure your steering pump reservoir oil level is full. If you look at the TSB 4897, the problem is related to manual transmission only....
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 PM
coolice232
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok

I will check it first thing tomorow
So my understanding is PS whine is only for manual cars?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Wait, Are you sure you're wife isn't in the passenger seat???

Check there first...

BAZINGA!

Mike
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by coolice232
hello

when i drive around 60mile i hear a whining nose from the back of the car not very loud ,from reading in this forum is can be a PS problem.However,my car is a tiptronic so i cant pressue the cluch to check if the sound goes away

is PS issue happens only to manual cars ?could it happen also to a car with tiptronic ? how can i diagnose this problem

i dont hear the voice is the car is not moving

thanks and regards
Do you hear the whine noise only at 60mph or above? Does the noise appear to vary with speed or engine rpm? Does it vary if you carefully weave the car from side to side?

Have you tried -- with the engine up to temp and with the tranmission in neutral -- raising the engine rpms to the same rpms as when the car is in gear and moving down the road at 60mph and holding the rpms steady and listening for the noise? You might be better off having someone do this for you and you are standing behind the car with the engine compartment lid open.

Do not stick your hands anywhere near the engine! Remember too the engine compartment fan in the lid can come on at any time.

Check the power steering fluid reservior for the proper level and look for any signs of fluid leaks. The fluid is rather light colored so with the engine off and cold run your hands around/under the reservior and follow the lines as far as you can and see if your hand comes away with any signs of fluid. If so do not touch any rubber hoses or painted surfaces but wash your hands in soapy water several times to remove all traces of the fluid.

Ideally you would want to get the car safely in the air and look at the underside of the car (the underbody panels) for any signs of fluid leaks. I've seen one Turbo with a leak probably at the steering rack that had a fluid stain from just behind the front 'axle' all the way back on the bottom of the plastic panels. No fluid hitting the ground though.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Whine sound 01 996tt