Sponsored by:

Clutch grabbing point

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Clutch grabbing point

What is the typical grabbing point of a 996 Turbo clutch? How high within the pedal travel? and in particular, for a 2003 X50 model?

How does the grabbing point change with wear in these cars?

TIA
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

As the clutch wears the pedal moves up.

Lower 1/3 is a great clutch. Upper third shows clutch wear.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevin
As the clutch wears the pedal moves up.

Lower 1/3 is a great clutch. Upper third shows clutch wear.
OK. So the 996TT is not self-adjusting.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Why do you say that??

The hydraulic system adjusts for the wear.. The pedal creeps up when the disk lining wears thin..
Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevin
Why do you say that??

The hydraulic system adjusts for the wear.. The pedal creeps up when the disk lining wears thin..
OK. I interpreted that self adjusting meant that the pedal grab position would remain the same.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
What is the typical grabbing point of a 996 Turbo clutch? How high within the pedal travel? and in particular, for a 2003 X50 model?

How does the grabbing point change with wear in these cars?

TIA
Typical I don't know since I have only my experience with my 03 Turbo (not an S) car to go by.

But I just checked it to be sure and the clutch starts to engage when the pedal reaches near the midpoint of its upward travel. It is fully engaged by the time the pedal is near the upper most end of its travel. By my eye maybe a pedal thickeness before reaching the top of its travel. Engagment is very smooth and even. I tried this by simply letting the engine idle while I slowly released the clutch pedal and noted where the pedal was in its travel when I felt the clutch start to bite and then as I slowly released the clutch as the car starting moving off. I tried this with the transmission in 1st and reverse. Reverse works a bit better since reverse is a bit higher of a gear so it takes more slipping more and for a bit longer period of time to move the car off of a stop compared to using 1st gear.

As near as I can remember this is how the clutch has always behaved since I bought the car with just 10K miles a bit over 2 years ago and today after having added over 57K miles.

I thought with the hydraulic mechanism the clutch engagement point stayed relatively the same, this being one of the benefits of a hydraulic clutch system vs. a mechanical linkage. No periodic clutch adjustment to keep the engagement point constant.

My info is, at least this is what I was told but I have yet to experience it with my Boxster (not sure the Turbo with its power boosted clutch system will ever manifest this behavior), is that as the clutch wears the clutch pedal pressure goes up. The reason I've been told is that the mechanical leverage diminishes as the clutch wears.

The clutch pedal pressure in my Boxster is higher than that of my Turbo, but the Boxster clutch is not unduly heavy and the mechanics who I ask about this tell me the Boxster's clutch feels just fine.

Oh, the only times (there has been at least one and possibly two times) the Boxster's clutch engagement point appeared to change, engaging a bit lower than normal, I found a brake/clutch hydraulic fluid flush/bleed had the clutch's engagement point up a bit higher.

Might add the Boxster's clutch engagement point and that of the Turbo have always been higher than what I recall from driving other cars. To the point I found I had to move the seat back a bit more and thus sit a bit further back from the steering wheel than I would have otherwise liked to ensure the clutch's engagement point is right where my left leg is most sensitive to the clutch and best able to ensure smooth and even engagement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Macster!

Quick Reply: Clutch grabbing point