Sponsored by:

Help 996 Turbo S Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 AM
mf_silva
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 996 Turbo S Won't Start

This is a 2005 Turbo S, great car! I was comming home tonight, drove about 10 miles, stopped at a gas station filled up (with gasoline, I checked the receipt). The car started right up, got in, I had another 3 miles or so to get home. Then driving down the street at about 45 mph, I notice the car is slowing down, I look at the instrument panel and all tell-tale lights are on, I pull over, stop.

Radio, NAV, lights, FAN, everything is still working - so I thought I stalled the car somehow. I turn the key again, the engine cranks, the car starts, it reaches about 2K RPM, and then dies again. I try again, it starts, but I don't even have enough time to give it a bit of gas, it dies again. I tried it about 10 times to restart it with no better luck, same thing happens every time, starts cranks to about 2K RPM and shutsdown within 3-4 seconds

I had to call Porsche road side assistance, they showed up in 45 mins, and picked up the car and it was brought to Champion Porsche here in FL.

Any ideas?!

Thanks for your anticipated help.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Fuel pump. My guess is a loop hose, on the pump canister inside the fuel tank, is rupture. Here's two good links....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ally-dove.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html
Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Fuel line...had mine rupture twice.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a coincidence that it happened right after you filled up. I'm guessing bad fuel, either sludge that clogged the fuel filter or water.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Cueto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had a bad fuel pump RELAY. My tech was able to get down there, remove the delay and its palstic housing, put it back in and press the relay with his hand and VOILA it turned on!

It did exactly as you mentioned.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mf_silva
This is a 2005 Turbo S, great car! I was comming home tonight, drove about 10 miles, stopped at a gas station filled up (with gasoline, I checked the receipt). The car started right up, got in, I had another 3 miles or so to get home. Then driving down the street at about 45 mph, I notice the car is slowing down, I look at the instrument panel and all tell-tale lights are on, I pull over, stop.

Radio, NAV, lights, FAN, everything is still working - so I thought I stalled the car somehow. I turn the key again, the engine cranks, the car starts, it reaches about 2K RPM, and then dies again. I try again, it starts, but I don't even have enough time to give it a bit of gas, it dies again. I tried it about 10 times to restart it with no better luck, same thing happens every time, starts cranks to about 2K RPM and shutsdown within 3-4 seconds

I had to call Porsche road side assistance, they showed up in 45 mins, and picked up the car and it was brought to Champion Porsche here in FL.

Any ideas?!

Thanks for your anticipated help.
Have to go along with either the fuel pump or fuel line ideas. That fuel relay idea is a good one too. My tech friends tell me that sometimes a marginal one can be resurrected by tapping on it with one's finger.

Did you perchance fill the tank up with E85 or even diesel fuel?

Regardless the dealer will sort it all out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

I went thru the same on my C2 turbo and it was fuel sending unit .... Dealer would charge you around $850 for this repair.

Quick Reply: Help 996 Turbo S Won't Start