Electrical problem - tried to replace switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
aremark1984
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem - tried to replace switch

hi!

I'm having some problems with my 996 Turbo 2001..

To make a long story short:

One day the alarm went of by it self, couldn't turn it off with my key, so had to unlock the car with my key, and turn the ignition to second position. this turned it of..
after this the car would not start.. so removed the cable from the battery, and tried after 20 minutes.. when the power was back on, all the instruments/lights on the dash turnd it self on, airbag failure ++++ like the key was at position two (except the airbagfailure, I don't get this on stage 2 when normal), but the key was not in the ignition.

After som time , I got the car going, so went for a drive, and no problems.
When I came back, the car would not stop, even if the key was removed from the ignition.. so I pluged the battery off..

Next time the power was reconnected, all the warning lights on the dash turned on, ad the spoiler went up, airbag failure++, I also heard a lot of relay clicking all over the car..
After some time the car started, don't know why..

the process above has been repeated many times the last days witout a fix...

after a quick google, I decided to replace the ignition switch.. so went to my local audi dealer and got one..
replaced it, and everything was back to normal..

after about 5 houers yesterday, I checked my car again.. the car was locked with alarm on, BUT all dash light turned on again, just like the key was on stage two in the ignition... so back at square one

The reason for me trying to fix it myself is that it will take 4 weeks before a Porsche dealer has free time to fix my car..

what to do?
Went to a Porsche dealer to day and bought a new switch with housing (part # 996 347 017 07)...
Will this do me any good? Thanx for tips on how to go about changing the whole houseing unit.. it looks a bit tricky to get the ignition from my old hous in to the new one?

Hope some of you smart guys can help, because I don't have a clue after the switch replace failed...

---
Kenneth
NORWAY
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Removing and installing ignition switch

Removing
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Turn ignition key to position 0 and remove.
3. Remove air duct (A). The air duct is plugged in.

4. Pull connecting plug off ignition switch.
5. Remove screw locking paint in the threaded bores of the two fastening screws (short arrows). Slightly loosen both fastening screws (short arrows) using special tool 9631 and pull the ignition switch out of the housing (direction arrow).

Installing
1. Move ignition switch to position 0 (same position as lock barrel).
2. Insert ignition switch into the housing. Tighten fastening screws using special tool 9631 and subsequently secure with screw locking paint.
3. Push plug onto ignition switch and fit air duct.
4. Connect battery ground cable. Perform function test.
Attached Images    
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Removing and installing lock barrel

Removal
2. Pull cover (collar) off the steering lock.
3. Insert ignition key and turn to position 1 (ignition on). Insert a steel wire (C) with a diameter of approx.1.3 mm (max. 1.5 mm ø) into the bore next to the ignition key (arrow) as far as it will go. Pull the lock barrel with induction coil out of the steering lock housing.

Information

Inserting the steel wire (C) unlocks the lock barrel in the steering lock housing.

4. Carefully unlock and separate the plug connection on the lock barrel (at the induction coil for the immobiliser).

Installation
1. Ignition lock must be in position 1 (ignition on).
2. Press on the pawl of the lock barrel (locking pawl). With the pawl depressed, insert the ignition key and turn the key as far as it will go to position 1 (ignition on). In this position, insert the steel wire (C) that was used for removal.
3. Connect plug on induction coil (B). Position the induction coil (B) and push the lock barrel all the way into the housing. Turn the ignition key correspondingly, if necessary, until the lock barrel has been pushed in fully. Pull out the steel wire (C) in this position so that the lock engages.

4. Connect battery ground cable. Perform function test.
5. If a new transponder (new lock barrel with new key) is used, the new key must be taught. Refer to Serv. No. 90 01 in the Technical Manual (in diagnosis section).
Information

The transponder is located in the key head. The new transponder is taught with the Porsche System Tester 2. A new transponder can be adapted to the vehicle in the Alarm system: menu Learning functions/submenu Transponder key. Access to IPAS is necessary in order to teach the transponder.

The transponder does not have to be taught if:
– the previous key head A (hand-held transmitter) is fitted on the new key C. (→ "9073 Disassembling and assembling hand-held transmitter " )
– a new lock barrel with defined locking is installed (the entire previous key can thus be used)
– the previous lock barrel with key is used
Attached Images    
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Replacing steering lock
- Removing steering lock
- Installing steering lock

A - Steering lock
B - Signal converter

Overview of dashboard components that must be removed before removal and installation of the steering lock.
Steering column switch with the associated covers
Instrument cluster (instrument mount)
Steering column cover

Information

The steering wheel must be removed before components 1 - 3 can be removed, refer to Serv. No. 48 10 19 (Page 48 - 5).

Removing steering lock
2. Remove steering wheel, refer to Serv. No. 48 10 19 (Page 48 - 5). Observe the safety regulations for handling airbag units.
3. Undo and remove the panels.

4. Remove steering column switch To do this, undo the central screw on the clamp of the steering column switch. Disconnect electrical plug connection and remove steering column switch with airbag contact unit.
5. Remove instrument cluster (instrument mount). To do this:
– switch on the the hazard warning light switch (button comes out). There are small openings on the sides of the button which now project over the instrument cowl. Insert two small screwdrivers into the openings and use them to pull off the button (A) toward the front.

– Unclip collar on the hazard warning light switch. The hazard warning light switch (B) is held in the instrument bridge by two locking hooks. Press the right locking hook toward the switch, grip the button holder with a pair of pliers and pull out the switch toward the front. Pull off plug on the left side and undo the 5.0 x 22 Torx screws. Lift the instrument cluster at the left and right and unclip; disconnect electrical plug connections. If the vehicle is equipped with a "handsfree telephone", disconnect the microphone plug connection instead of the dummy plug.

6. Pull cover (collar) off the steering lock.
7. Remove steering coloum switch cover (undo Torx screws, unclip the cover and lift it off).
8. Detach support of steering lock on the assembly. The support is fastened with a screw. The side nozzle must be removed to allow access to this screw. This procedure is almost identical to the procecure - "Removing and installing main light switch" - → 940519 Removing and installing main light switch . The difference is that the electrical plug connection of the main light switch does not need to be disconnected.
9. Undo steering lock fastening screw. Unlock steering lock on the steering column (press spring-loaded pin with a scriber) and simultaneously pull the steering lock out of the steering column.
10. On Tiptronic vehicles, remove (disengage) the keylock cable on the steering lock housing. First turn ignition key to position "1" (ignition on).

11. Pull plug off ignition switch. Carefully unlock and separate the plug connection on the lock barrel (at the induction coil for the immobilizer).
12. Unlock the electrical plug connection on the signal converter from above and disconnect. Unclip the electrical wire on the steering lock housing.

13. Remove steering lock from the vehicle.

Installing steering lock
1. Fit the steering lock in the vehicle with the locking pin in unlocked position (ignition steering lock position 1)
Information

If necessary, first modify the lock barrel (use previous lock barrel) or modify the key head (handheld transmitter). This makes it unnecessary to teach the transponder (refer to Installation, step 11).

2. Align steering lock housing; the peg of the steering lock must engage easily. Tighten fastening screws.
3. On Tiptronic vehicles, join the keylock cable with the steering lock (in steering lock position 1). To do this, line up the slider on the keylock cable with the steering lock and insert (press in) in this position until the connection nipple engages on the steering lock housing. (Selector lever not in position "P".) Then select position "P" and subsequently turn steering lock to position "0".

Information

If the steering lock cannot be turned to position "0", the following causes are possible:

– Slider of keylock cable not correctly fitted on the steering lock
– Keylock cable not correctly fitted on the selector console
– Defective parts (replace if necessary).

The keylock cable is not adjustable. However, the following procedure (mounting specification) must be followed when mounting on the selector console.
Specification for mounting keylock cable on the selector lever
– Turn ignition key to position "1" (ignition on) and move selector lever to position "D".
– Engage nipple (1) of the cable on the keylock lever (2) of the selector console.
– Insert housing adjustment device (3) on the selector console housing until the clip (4) engages.
– Press cable sleeve (5) toward the selector console (6).
– Release cable and press locking button (7) until it engages.
– Check keylock function: Insert ignition key to and turn to position 1 (ignition on). Move selector lever from "P" to "D". Turn ignition key counterclockwise. It must not be possible to reach the pull-out position. Then release key again and move selector lever to position "P". In this position, it must be possible to remove the ignition key and the selector lever button must be locked.

4. Push plugs onto induction coil, lock barrel, ignition starting switch and onto the signal converter.
5. Steering lock function (perform locking pin function and keylock function tests).
6. Insert steering column cover from below, position and fasten (with Torx screws).

7. Install steering column switch and airbag contact unit with the associated covers. Position the steering column switch before tightening the fastening screw. To do this, measure with a depth gauge between the end of the steering shaft and the sheetmetal cover of the steering column switch (refer to Figure 115-96). Adjusting distance 55 ± 0.5 mm The adjusting dimension 55 ± 0.5 mm can also be adjusted or measured with the airbag contact unit fitted.

8. Install the instrument cluster. Connect the electrical plug connection on the instrument cluster. Push in the instrument cluster at the left and right and clip into place; fasten it with the Torx screws 5.0 x 22. Press in the hazard warning light switch and fit the plug on the left side. On the "telephone with handsfree unit" variant, plug in the microphone plug instead and engage the microphone in position.

9. Install side nozzle and main light switch, → 940519 Removing and installing main light switch (Page 94 - 7 / 94 - 8).
10. Install steering wheel and airbag unit, → 481019 Removing and installing steering wheel (airbag) (Page 48 - 5). Observe the safety regulations for handling airbag units.
11. Connect battery ground cable. Perform function test.
12. If a new transponder (new lock barrel with new key) is used, the new key must be taught. Refer to Service No. 90 01 in the Technical Manual (in diagnosis section).

Information

The transponder is located in the key head. The new transponder is taught with the Porsche System Tester 2. A new transponder can be taught to the vehicle in the system "Alarm system", menu "Teaching functions"/submenu "Transponder key". Access to IPAS is necessary in order to teach the transponder.

The transponder does not have to be taught if:
– the previous key head A (handheld transmitter) is fitted on the new key C . (Disassembling and assembling handheld transmitter - Service No. 90 73 37)
– a new lock barrel with defined locking is installed (the entire previous key can thus be used).
– the previous lock barrel with key is used. Removing and installing lock barrel, → 480719 Removing and installing lock barrel .
Attached Images        
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

and the ignition switch TI:
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is the battery?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
aremark1984
8th Gear

ok.. here is the update..
Changed the whole alu houseing (new part from porsche including the switch).
Moved the key cylinder from old houseing to the new one..

hooked up all cabels, plugged the battery back in.. BUT same error..
-all the lights on the dash goes on when the ground cable is back on
-insert key, trun ignition back on, all lights still on (like normal) airbag fail goes away, fuel pump etc starts up, but the car wont even crank the engine when I turn the key over..

sometimes earlier the car will suddenly start and stop as normal, and sometimes not..
now after the replacement, it won't start.

don't know how old the battery is..

second update today:
also tried an extra ground cable form the battery to the chassie, and a different battery.. (the one that's there is a 72 amp, i tried with a 62 amp).
I also did a mesuarment on the ignition cable connector.. I've got ground on the black/yellow cable all the time(on the right in picture), but no ground on the black one (on the left in picture).. I got ground on both when ignition is on..
Is this correct??? (google pic, so sorry for bad quality..)
Up front: Thanx for all the help I can get, I don't understand what the &%/#")=¤ is going on..

Last edited by aremark1984; 07-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can replace just the switch itself on the back of the keyed unit.......there is a VW part number that is the same part (it may be that the part you remve (sawitch only) has the VW part number on it as I recall). I found the VW p/n searching this site and it worked fine. It's a pain to get the switch/lock assembly out, but swapping the switch is a sinch. I did it all in about 3 hours if I recall and the VW switch is about $12.
MK
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 AM
aremark1984
8th Gear

I tried to change the just the vw/audi switch before I bought a new original housing with swith from Porsche...
Old 04-18-2015, 03:32 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm trying to swap out the switch only. I have wedged myself under the dash but am having trouble with the 2 tiny screws. Looks like this thread (911slow) calls for a special tool #9631. Is this only available from a dealer or is there something else that will work. It's a serious PIA to get my paws up in there to get any leverage, but if others have done it, I'm sure I can too. Thanks for any assistance regarding the tool. Thought it might be a regular jewelers screw driver, but no such luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Other threads on this ignition switch replacement: http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/P...tionswitch.htm

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ictures/page-2

http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/ignition
Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

man, i changed out that switch like 5 years ago with the 6$ vw/audi and its been working flawlessly since. took all of 15 minutes. tops.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Peter Coomaraswa
Track Day

Aremark, I'm up against the same thing (I think) replaced the entire housing and switch but I'm waiting for the switch to screw up again because right after I turned the car off and pulled out the key the dash said key still in the ignition. The only thing I have noticed is that in all the pictures the release dimple sits at about 1:O'clock from the key orientation and now it sits at 7: O'clock (that's the place where you would put in the paperclip to release the lock). I'm wondering if that has anything to do with our immediately recurring problem(s). The folks that have replaced the switch on the back only would not have changed that orientation???

Does that make any sense?

Quick Reply: Electrical problem - tried to replace switch