Sponsored by:

oil change drain points?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
Yep, that's basically what happened when I change my oil. I'm wondering how everyone fares with having to add more oil between changes. The indicator is now at about the midpoint on the measurement. That's after 3,000 miles of driving. So, I don't have to add oil in between changes. The car has 30,000 miles on it.

larry
Whether or not one has to add oil between oil changes depends upon many factors. The range is all over the map from those that have to add no oil between 5K (or more) mile oil changes to a few that have to add oil every 1K miles or so.

One point I would like to stress is I see no reason to run the oil level low. Half way down is low enough and at that time I would add oil to bring the level back up to near the full mark or even at the full mark. (In fact I did just this today, adding a tiny bit over half a quart of oil to bring the Turbo's oil level from mid level to 1 segment below the full mark.)

Remember the oil level displayed is the oil level with the car sitting still, on level ground, with the engine idling (and up to temp).

The oil level can drop quite a bit when the engine is working hard, the car is turning, braking and so on. And I don't mean on the track either, though this usage certainly would subject the car to the extremes of all of the above activities. Under certain conditions several quarts of oil can be in the engine which of course drops that oil level in the tank right down.

While I trust there is sufficient margin in the Turbo engine's oil system to continue to deliver defoamed, relatively cool and clean oil to the engine under extreme usage and even with the oil level down mid way I prefer to not tempt fate and strive to keep the oil level at mid point or higher.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster:

Your point is well taken, and it makes little sense to try to save money on that $7 quart of M1 while letting the oil level drop to the "min" and taking whatever risk there might be on a $15,000 engine. But, I don't think that running a car at midpoint, or even waiting till it approaches the minimum to put oil in is risking anything with the engine. That is what the min point is for. It says, "Put more oil in now." But, if I am a day from doing an oil change, I don't see any sense in tossing $7 into the tank today just for conversation, and then emptying the tank tomorrow when I do the oil change.

But to each his own.

larry
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

I'd recommend pulling your Fuel Pump Fuse to prime your oil.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...il-change.html

Larry, you might want to add another $10K to your estimate for the cost of a new engine.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe Larry got confused with the M96 Carrera engine?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Maybe Larry got confused with the M96 Carrera engine?
Hmmmmm, yaas, that's the ticket!!!!

larry

Quick Reply: oil change drain points?